Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New Image Comics

I'm traditionally a Marvel guy. If not that, then a Vertigo guy or even a DC guy. Before the new 52, I was buying only 2 or 3 DC books, some indie and a bunch of Marvel. The new 52 got me buying about a dozen DC titles and Marvel was ticking me off so much, I was down to 3 or 4 of their titles. But now I'm getting ticked off at DC, especially the death of Damien. I'm now down to just 5 DC titles and 4 Marvel titles (two of them are All New X-men.

So, what am I buying now? Would you believe Image? I picked up Saga and loved it. I was already getting Fatale and had started buying Walking Dead. I kept hearing the Geeks say Image was doing some great books and I got curious. I started picking up random Image books. Is anyone else doing this? I now have 10 of them on my pull list and the Image books are what I read first when I get home from the comic shop. These are the ones I'm getting:

Black Acre
Clone
Fatale
Great Pacific
Mind The Gap
Nowhere Men
Revival
Saga
Thief Of Thieves
Walking Dead

If you ask me, Image is perfectly placed to take over a large chunk of the comics market. Most of their comics are $2.99. Some of their first issues are over 40 pages and they are still only $2.99. After a few months you can buy them as Image Firsts for $1 or download them for free digitally. And their books are the most interesting I see out there right now. Their trades are cheap as hell too. I am totally blown away. A year ago this would have been unthinkable.

So, now I'm an Image guy. Arggh!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    You're not reading The Manhattan Projects? You're missing out!
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I got the recent Happy miniseries by Grant Morrison, and I'll be getting the Mice Templar series by Michael Avon Oeming -- but, apart from that, Image generally has nothing to offer that I find to be worth my while.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    While I have nominated/ voted for IMAGE in the Publisher of 2012 categories all over the interwebs, I find good stuff in any publisher's offering.
    Or in short:

I'm a comic guy. Arggh!
  • Options
    NightRelic1NightRelic1 Posts: 20
    edited March 2013
    I have the first 3 issues of The Manhattan Projects. One of my sampling runs. Still have to read #3. So far it isn't grabbing me completely, so it isn't on my pull list as yet. I'm finding the Image stuff doesn't always grab me at first. I think it's because I'm so used to reading familiar characters or at least a familiar world when it comes to comics. Sometimes it takes reading 2 or 3 issues twice. It worked that way with Mind The Gap. Now I'm hooked.
  • Options
    I agree. Image are well placed to take a good share more of the market, year by year, if they keep doing what they are currently doing... which is producing good stuff!

Also, unlike both Marvel and DC, Image Comics don't have fucking adverts every other fucking page, ruining the art-work of one page by putting it next to a crappy advert for some game or another comic from the same publishing house...
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

I agree. Image are well placed to take a good share more of the market, year by year, if they keep doing what they are currently doing... which is producing good stuff!

Also, unlike both Marvel and DC, Image Comics don't have fucking adverts every other fucking page, ruining the art-work of one page by putting it next to a crappy advert for some game or another comic from the same publishing house...

I've never minded the house ads; I'm okay with them.
  • Options
    NightRelic1NightRelic1 Posts: 20
    edited April 2013
    I never minded house ads either. It's an easy way for me to find out about comics I might want. I definitely like them better at the end as Image does it. I'm interested enough now in seeing what else they have to offer I turn the page. I think the number of ads interrupting the stories at Marvel and DC are definitely hurting them. With so many ads, they ought to be able to put these books out for $2.99. The stories themselves often are lacking too. I'm sick of cross over events that go nowhere. I wish they would focus on one book per character/ team and make it a good story. But then again, if there weren't four Avengers books I wouldn't get confused which I'm reading and quit all of them. It's what made room in my budget for so many Image books. :) I guess I've been looking at my recent switch over to Image and scratching my head. I really love Marvel characters, but Image is what I'm reading first and enjoying the most now. And I've been reading primarily Marvel since 1972. At least they're getting the movies mostly right.
  • Options
    avsavs Posts: 16

Fucking take it fucking down a fucking notch... fucking.