Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best comic book related April Fool's joke

Anyone got any?

Back when I was on GEnie (a national BBS...ask your grandpa and get the hell off of my lawn), a bunch of us put together a fake press release from DC saying that they were going to start the Next Big Event in comics:

Batman Re-Examined. A 12 part story with multiple tie-ins wherein Batman finally confronts the deep psychological reasons why he chooses underaged partners.

We peppered it with fake quotes, tie in mini-series, special covers and the like...and for a day, some people bought into it, especially with all of the "grim and gritty" books being done.

Have you seen or been a part of any good ones?

Comments

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Anyone got any?

Back when I was on GEnie (a national BBS...ask your grandpa and get the hell off of my lawn), a bunch of us put together a fake press release from DC saying that they were going to start the Next Big Event in comics:

Batman Re-Examined. A 12 part story with multiple tie-ins wherein Batman finally confronts the deep psychological reasons why he chooses underaged partners.

We peppered it with fake quotes, tie in mini-series, special covers and the like...and for a day, some people bought into it, especially with all of the "grim and gritty" books being done.

Have you seen or been a part of any good ones?

I don't remember the fake press release, but I do remember GEnie quite fondly. I was a regular there myself. I think I still have my 'map' folder around somewhere...
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    You were there too? I was one of the forum leaders, whatever they were called, and ran the Thursday night chatroom. The last year or so, it was a pretty lonely chat...

But I had the same Handle.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Oh you fancy lads with your GEnie. In my day we had our 1200 baud modem (when mother wasn't using the phone) to connect to whatever local bbs would have us. And you'd better be damned prepared to talk about whatever they wanted to talk about! If the topic was how abysmal the Reds were doing that year, you didn't come in with your talk about Batman...you talked about the Reds! And you were THANKFUL to do it...because it was COOL that you could do it...

And you nancies talk about your GEnie....F*ck you and you f*ckin GEnie!

:)
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Oh, I got on GEnie with 1200 baud modem. You'd use the software to connect and download all of the new topics and posts overnight so you wouldn't have to pay premium price for connecting during business hours....then you would write your replies off-line and upload them the next night.

And we liked it. We loved it. Coulnd't get enough of it!

GET THE HELL OFF OF MY LAWN!!!
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Don't wanna rain on anyone's parade but am compelled to voice how much I hate April fools say. Mainly just since the advent of the Internet.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
  • Options
    Hop into your "way back" machines kiddies. This was back in 2009 when a few blogs got together and put together his little piece of humor...

http://onceuponageek.com/2009/04/01/geoff-johns-and-ethan-van-sciver-talk-vibe-rebirth/

Who was to know Geoff Johns WOULD end up having something to do with Vibe anyways?