Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cyclops is right

**Spoilers**
So if anyone else is reading All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men in the last issue of Uncanny X-Men, Cyclops essentially calls the Avengers a bunch of hypocrites. Now, I fly my Cyclops-fan-flag proudly and think he is the most under-rated Marvel character second to Hank Pym. When he's steady and stoic, the popular consensus is he's boring, when he speaks out and stands up for himself, especially against more popular over-exposed Canadian feral claw-poppin' mutants, he's labelled a diuche-bag by fandom, and he never gets his props as THE best tactical leader in the Marvel Universe.

And he's essentially been right since before Avengers vs. X-Men:
- The Phoenix Force didn't destroy the world.
- Hope could handle the Phoenix Force
- The Phoenix Force did rekindle/revitalize the mutant population
- The Avengers, in particular Captain America, take the stance that he should pay for the crime of the death of Charles Xavier. Last I checked, Wanda's body count hasn't all been ressurected (Jack of Hearts) and no one is insisting that she be behind bars. At the very least by Marvel law, she should be guilty of one murder and 3-4 attempted murders.
- Wolverine can lose his temper and kill and be forgiven, Iron Man can be drunk and reckless and injure (kill?) an ambassador and be forgiven, Cyclops is possessed and corrupted by a cosmic force and must be held accountable for his actions.
-SPOILERS- Emma brought up a great point in the last issue. Who interfered with the Pheonix Force, broke it and diverted it into the Phoenix Five? That's right, Tony Stark.
-SPOILERS- I also found Tony Stark to be the king of Avengers hypocrisy, "Surley young lady you can understand why the authorities and the Avengers feel someone as potentially dangerous should you be brought in against your will to be detained and studied." Gee, Tony you've fought like 3 Armor Wars to prevent the self-same group(s)from doing the same thing to your armor, but I guess your suits should have more rights and protection than her,

Comments

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited April 2013
    I'll give you a couple of those points.
    You're right, Wanda (and wolverine) shouldn't get a free pass, and Tony is a smug bastard, although I believe Obadiah Stane was in control of Shellhead's armour when that ambassador got his head taken off (or was it a hole in his chest?).
    ***SPOILER*** Jack's back, within the last year or so.

I still think Cyclops is the whiniest bitch in the Marvel U.
    But you let your freak flag fly. Loud and proud!
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I love this thread and agree with a lot of what you say. Let's not forget that before he died and came back, Captain America took a stance against the American Government over Superhero Registration and got heroes to join his crusade against S.H.I.E.L.D. and Iron Man's group of heroes which got Goliath killed. I think a lot of these heroes live in glass houses when it comes to judging each other.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm a big Cyke-supporter and always have been. I love that he's flawed, doesn't always do the right thing, and is far from an ideal hero. That's what makes him great. As Wolvie put it in the crossover with the Teen Titans - "Yeah, Cyclops is a jerk, but he's OUR jerk." :)
  • Options
    Was that in the Teen Titans crossover? I remember reading that and I remember Wolverine saying that but I didn't remember what it was from. Do you remember the context of that quote? And you're right and that's what makes the Marvel Universe characters so great overall. All of them are flawed and make mistakes and don't do the right thing all of the time and yet they continue to try and make a difference and do right. That's why Marvel characters are so interesting and I've always had a soft spot for Cyclops because of that.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I actually miss the days when Cyke could do no wrong. He was never perfect, but he was the best leader he could be, and he was the sharpest combatant of the team. I always felt he began to get diminished as a team leader when he first stepped down and let Storm take his place -- from that point on his place in the team and his strengths as a leader seemed to gradually dwindle.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

Was that in the Teen Titans crossover? I remember reading that and I remember Wolverine saying that but I didn't remember what it was from. Do you remember the context of that quote?

I'm like 89% sure that's where it comes from, although it could have been from a regular old X-book during the Clairemont run...and no, I can't remember the context offhand. To the back issue bins! :)
  • Options
    Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I think that quote might have come from Secret Wars.
  • Options
    Sactown_Joe80Sactown_Joe80 Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Cyclops has never been more interesting than today. I don't want a perfect hero. That's what pre New 52 Superman was for.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I think that quote might have come from Secret Wars.

This is correct
  • Options

Cyclops has never been more interesting than today. I don't want a perfect hero. That's what pre New 52 Superman was for.

I never considered Cyclops to be the perfect hero. Back in the day, I felt he was the mutant equivalent to Captain America. Cyclops fought for mutant rights in the same manner that Captain America fought for all people's rights. He was the prodigal son to Charles Xavier and Cyclops fought to keep his mentor's dream alive. I never thought he was perfect or anything like that.

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    jaydee74 said:

I never considered Cyclops to be the perfect hero. Back in the day, I felt he was the mutant equivalent to Captain America. Cyclops fought for mutant rights in the same manner that Captain America fought for all people's rights. He was the prodigal son to Charles Xavier and Cyclops fought to keep his mentor's dream alive. I never thought he was perfect or anything like that.

Absolutely!!
  • Options
    I thought this was funny:
  • Options

jaydee74 said:

This is correct
    Yep! Okay, I'm wrong! I admit it. I know you're not supposed to do that on the internet, which means it will now implode on itse-
  • Options
    Look what you did @Torchsong. You blew up the internet. Next time you have to defend your wrong statements with more wrong stagements and hurl insults and stuff like that. :-? =))
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Cyclops has always been, and continues to be a dick. And I like him for it.