Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Phoenix Comic-Con 2012

It's early - two months away in fact - but that's really NO time at all when you're working it and still have so much to do.

http://www.phoenixcomicon.com/

I just found out...like twenty minutes ago...that I'm going to be part of an artists sketch off panel with Greg Horn. Consider me sufficiently freaked.

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Okay...we're in the final weeks so I can finally start talking about it. The Phoenix Con is coming up and it's going to be huge. We'll be debuting my new book Travis the Undying:

Travis McEllhone is a mercenary who achieves great fame and renown with a skillful sword arm, a cunning mind, and great prowess with a bow. Unfortunately, his pride causes him to deny the existence of the Gods. The Gods, very real and not pleased with this, remove his great skill but also make him unkillable. His quest begins to avenge himself on the things he doesn't believe in.

I'll have some great original artwork including this Wonder Woman painting (still being worked on) my wife doesn't want me to sell:

And for the first time you'll actually be able to find me because I have a BANNER!!!

I'm even on PANELS this year - I'll be doing a couple charity sketch-offs, one of which, as mentioned, puts me on the same stage as Greg Horn. Yeeps! I'm even more excited about moderating a panel about local Arizona comic creators (like myself). We have a ton of great ones out here...

This convention has grown by leaps and bounds every year...it's getting HUGE now...we even have Patrick Stewart showing up! With Shatner!
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited May 2012
    I'd really like to go (I'm in Tucson). Not sure if I will be able to swing it or not.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    My Grandma lives in Phoenix, I would actually really like this con (in terms of guests anyway). How does it compare in terms of traffic? Is it like SDCC when you just want to beat someone because you can't ever move? I might even do that Avatar VIp thing, for only $110 more dollars you get 16 trades, blankets, exlcusive Garth Ennis signing, and more. Pretty sweet deal.
  • Options
    Nothing is like San Diego, but the Phoenix Con is somewhere between NY and Emerald City as sizes go. Saturdays are mayhem and a half, but it's a fun chaos. This year they purposefully bought more space to widen the aisles so more traffic could get through the exhibitor booths and artist alleys.

It has grown exponentially each year, and is a really fun convention to attend.
  • Options
    FrankCastleFrankCastle Posts: 37
    I will be there with my boy Tom!!! And Nick, my wife sprang for the VIP tixs, seems like a pretty good deal. Get some good books and front of the line for the signings with Garth if that is your thing. Plus you could flip anything you didn't want to try and get a little of that money back!
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I will be there with my boy Tom!!! And Nick, my wife sprang for the VIP tixs, seems like a pretty good deal. Get some good books and front of the line for the signings with Garth if that is your thing. Plus you could flip anything you didn't want to try and get a little of that money back!
    Yeah I mean it's less than 10 bucks a trade, and posters and other stuff too. I'm glad it's not like San Diego, wheeled carts allowed? I don't want to carry around 15 Garth Ennis hardcovers on my poor back lol.

• Options
    Nick, check the site for whether or not wheeled carts are allowed. I believe they are, but I just have a booth there (stop by an introduce yourself!)

That goes for you, too, Frank! Haven't seen you since last year's Emerald Con...
  • Options
    7h0m457h0m45 Posts: 49
    I will be there once again!! Al, I will definitely stop by and pick up a copy of your book! I'm just worried Jason(frank castle)is going to die of heat stroke as soon as he gets off the plane ;)
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    Seriously, Frank and 7h0m45 at the con! We all have to do lunch!!!!
  • Options
    I'm in. I'm trying to decide if I should just go ahead and get a full weekend pass.
    I haven't been to a con since the 2006 Comic-Con.
    ...perhaps the whole weekend.
  • Options
    @deserthermit I think the full pass is definetly worth it but I think it just depends in what you want to see. A couple guest are only there on certain days, see if there are panels that interest you on all days or maybe Sunday when you've already hit everything on the floor you want to see. How far are you? Would you have to get a hotel for 2 nights?
  • Options
    @deserthermit I think the full pass is definetly worth it but I think it just depends in what you want to see. A couple guest are only there on certain days, see if there are panels that interest you on all days or maybe Sunday when you've already hit everything on the floor you want to see. How far are you? Would you have to get a hotel for 2 nights?
    No, I'm local. I would love to go to panels. To be honest, it's not much of a struggle to decide. I'll be getting a weekend pass. Even if I don't go everyday I'd like to have the option.
    We really need to try and convince the geeks to come out one of these years.

• Options
    We should definitely do a CGS boards meet-up. I won't be able to do much until the exhibitor hall closes, but I'm always up for something afterwards.

Saturday night is the auction, and it's my favorite part of the convention, even though I'm generally outbid on everything, it's still fun to watch. Friday night is a party for Unite and Take Over.

• Options
    We should definitely do a CGS boards meet-up. I won't be able to do much until the exhibitor hall closes, but I'm always up for something afterwards.

Saturday night is the auction, and it's my favorite part of the convention, even though I'm generally outbid on everything, it's still fun to watch. Friday night is a party for Unite and Take Over.

Yea I will definitely see you at the art auction again this year and I'll be bringing Jason along. Hopefully I'm more successfull than at last years :D

I don't know yet if time will permit but I was thinking what if we all get together and go see The Avengers Friday night? It would be my 4th time by then lol but it would be fun to go with a group.

• Options
    I'd be up for that. There's a theater within walking distance of the Con. I'm sure it'll still be showing.
  • Options
    Do you guys think I'll really melt? Should I cut all my jeans super short with the pockets hanging low?
  • Options
    PS - I'm thinking about doing the Chris Hardwick show Friday night. I know what I already said Tommy, think I might be changing my mind.
  • Options
    PS - I'm thinking about doing the Chris Hardwick show Friday night. I know what I already said Tommy, think I might be changing my mind.
    I asked if you wanted to go!!!!! Let me know and I'll get the tickets.
  • Options
    Do you guys think I'll really melt? Should I cut all my jeans super short with the pockets hanging low?
    Well, if you're looking to score... :) Just don't go down Van Buren street. :)

• Options
    To be honest...I'm not looking for a huge get together...just a few geeks eating lunch and drinking a beer.

Oh, Frank...you'd better were assless chaps. That's the way to go. Me and Al wear them at the con all the time. It's the only way to cool down.
  • Options

Oh, Frank...you'd better were assless chaps. That's the way to go. Me and Al wear them at the con all the time. It's the only way to cool down.
    That was supposed to be our secret, you little bitch! :)

In all seriousness, the more this thing is gearing up the more involved it seems I'm getting with it. So don't rely on me (not that you were) to make it to anything unless you actually see me there.

• Options
    Only 2 more weeks!!!!!
  • Options
    7h0m45!
    Don't forget your assless chaps if'n ya want to be in our gang.
  • Options
    7h0m45!
    sure thing! I"ll run out tomorrow and get a pair!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So here are the Con specials I'll be running, a strong wind and the good Lord willing:

Thugs Pack - Get all four issues of Thugs! for $10. A $2 savings off the cover price. This is the complete first arc. Steve's been knocking it out of the park with what he's shown me for issue#5, and he's got a side-book coming out soon that looks great. Get in on this now!
    Dedlock Pack - Get the first two issues of Dedlock for $5. You save a lousy buck, but you get my undying gratitude. And isn't that worth it? :)
    Travis the Undying - Get a limited edition 8x11 print with your purchase of the new book!

I'll have my first print available (image will come later) for either $5 or $10 depending on how good it comes out and how much it's gonna cost me to get 'er done. I will say it's a pretty cool concept.

I'll be sketching all Con long - $5 for bust/head, $10 full figure ($10 each additional figure). Generally I ink and color everything. Seriously folks, I'm one of the best values at the con! :)

Will also have original art for sale, price varies. Buy a piece of original art and you get something from the Slushpile - art I've done for practice that was too good to chuck/not good enough to charge money for.
  • Options
    7h0m45!
    sure thing! I"ll run out tomorrow and get a pair!
    Get two...we need the extra for Frank.

• Options

Did I mention I do original art I hawk at these things? This one's still in progress, but that's one damn fine White Queen, don'tcha think?

What? :)
  • Options
    Packing the jean cut offs tonight! Board the plane Thursday AM. See all you silly bitches soon!!
  • Options
    Ahhh another show has come to an end! Had a great time seeing everyone! I'll post some pictures later today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    Easily my most successful Con appearance to date. Sold some paintings, sold some commissions, and did non-stop My Little Pony sketches for the kids (both young and old). Also managed to send some of these funnybooks I make home with some people.

My Shazam painting ended up going for $105 at auction - I'm not complaining. The winner met me the next day and said he really liked it when he saw it. I can hear that all day long! :)