Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

RIP Roger Ebert

Roger Ebert has died, as just announced by the Chicago Sun Times.

My father and I would watch At the Movies together when I was growing up. He and Gene Siskel (and especially my father, watching with me and taking me to good movies, including ones at the art house the next town over) taught me what a critic was, and how as an audience member or consumer of art and entertainment you can approach things and have a point of view on them, and find your taste.

RIP

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Well said David_D. I loved watching Roger and Gene with my grandparents while growing up. Rest in peace Mr. Ebert.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Sad news indeed. I enjoyed his writing for many years. I'm a movie addict - and he was one hell of a pusherman.

RIP
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Very sad. Even when he was no longer on tv and could no longer speak he still managed to be sharp and witty as ever. It was a joy to read any review from him. And I'm sure him and Gene are going to have some good discussions in heaven
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    As a former Chicagoan, I feel like I grew up with Siskel & Ebert. I can even recall their show in the days when it was just on the local PBS station. They opened up my eyes to movies beyond what was playing in my town.

In addition to that, though, for bringing "Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls" into my life, I will forever be indebted to Roger Ebert.
  • Options
    MisterPhilMisterPhil Posts: 27
    edited April 2013
    Here are Gene Siskel & Roger Ebert in the pages of 1989's The Incredible Hulk #355 debating Michael Keaton as Batman (by Peter David, Jeff Purves & Herb Trimpe)

Rest in peace, Roger.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I wrote a review for each movie I went to see from 1989 to 2004 in most part due to the belief I would inherit his spot on At The Movies. Obviously that won't happen but he definitely changed the way I watch movies.

One can't forget either that Ebert loved the big budget spectacle like we did. He was not some stuffy independent film only snob but a red blooded film fan who loved action movies. RIP. And thanks!
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Bummer. I've been a fan of his for over 30 years. I used to watch him and Siskel on PBS before they went into syndication. He was my go-to reviews for years and years (less so over the past several, but still someone I respected).

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I rarely listen to the commentaries found on DVDs & blurays, and of the few I have listened to most aren't what I'd classify as memorable. Most, but not all. Roger Ebert's commentary on the Citizen Kane bluray disc was a notable exception. In fact, it was one of the most engrossing commentaries I've ever listened to. He truly did his homework.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Used to watch him occasionally on tv.

RIP.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Sad to see him go...still laugh at his review of Blade Runner though.