Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

RIP Carmine Infantino

Damn. One of the all-time comics giants and, based on my personal experience, one of the all-time nice guys. I took a comic art course from him at the NYC School of Visual Arts back in 1992 or so - he was a terrific teacher (I'm talentless!) - and listening to him talk about comics - it was stunning. He would give us pages to compose - and you'd spend an hour trying to figure out the best way to tell the story - and he would effortlessly show you an elegant, powerful, simple solution. A giant loss in the comics community.

e
L nny

Comments

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I was never as huge fan but I loved his late 70's Marvel work especially in SpiderWoman. His rendition of the Shroud is my favorite of all times and if I picture Barry Allen's Flash Carmine drew the version I will always see. A huge talent and chunk of my collection sprang from his pen.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    It was Spider-Woman and Star Wars for me. Rest in peace good sir, thank you.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    What a shame...
    Can't say I was a huge fan of his art, but he was a true workhorse and his contribution to the industry was monumental. I have lots of his issues in my collection.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    A huge, huge loss. Infantino was a big favorite of mine, going way, way back. I loved his storytelling, his figure work, his page designs, and especially his cover layouts. He was one of my earliest inspirations. I remember his work all the way back to the original Adam Strange series. I'm pulling out my TwoMorrows book on Infantino tonight, to read through it again. So far as I'm concerned, the comic world got a little bit darker today.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Sad news. When I talked with him in New York last fall, he did not appear to be in very good shape.

The thing about his work is that while his early stuff was heavily influenced by Milt Caniff (much like Kirby, Meskin, and nearly everyone else in comics in the Golden Age), during the ’50s he became much more influenced by architecture and fine art (particularly Degas and Modigliani). Even though he’d been a professional artist for several years, he began studying under William McNulty and then illustrator Jack Potter, and his focus shifted from figure drawing to design. It was this shift and these new influences, which all came from a desire to keep learning and growing as an artist, that led him to develop a truly unique style and voice, and to become one of the best artists in comics history.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    photo 230162574796_zps5508b358.jpg

I've always dug his Star Wars stuff. Quirky but full of energy.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    Remembering a bit of Infantino's legacy: he was the co-creator of the Black Canary and the Elongated Man, the silver age Flash and Batgirl, and Detective Chimp... the redesigner of Batman during the New Look 60's... and was the first artist on both Phantom Stranger (during the 50's) and Deadman. Am I forgetting anybody?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    He also co-created Animal Man. And while not the co-creator of Spider-Woman, he improved her costume tremendously in her second appearance by opening the full cowl Romita had designed and letting her hair flow freely. This was something he did on his own without asking for editorial approval.

Plus he designed all of Flash’s rogues’ gallery and what I think is one of the best superhero costumes ever, the yellow-and-red Kid Flash costume. Not to mention the period he spent as art director, during which he designed nearly every cover DC produced
  • Options
    Right! I thought of Animal Man sometime after making that post, and I completely forgot about Kid Flash! A good point about the villains; I was thinking chiefly about about the heroes.

Also, the Immortal Man, another minor Strange Adventures hero that Infantino drew.

And, yeah, the modifications on Spider-Woman were a welcome improvement -- still used to this day.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    One of those creators that off the top of my head, I couldn't name anything specific that I've read of his, but I'm sure I've read countless things with his involvement simply because he was such an important presence for so long. Flash I knew about, of course, but until today, I hadn't realized he worked on Star Wars, a comic I know I read as a kid.

And he was also responsible for attempting to modernize the DC books to compete with Marvel in the 1960s. He wasn't always successful, but he at least got titles like Batman to shift away from the wacky sci-fi stuff of the 1950s and inch closer to what we think of as the character.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Such a shame. Another amazing artist gone.
  • Options
    Two more legacies I was overlooking: King Faraday from Danger Trail, and Christopher Chance, the Human Target.

• Options
    There was a nice 2 minute obit for him this morning on NPR's Saturday Morning Edition -- not too in-depth, but enough to credit him with the revival of the Flash and, by extension, introduce the Silver Age.
  • Options
    Mark Evanier takes a look at Infantino's career as a publisher.

newsfromme.com/2013/04/06/more-about-carmine-infantino/
  • Options
    Silver Age Flash and Adam Strange! When inked by Murphy Anderson, nothing looked better!
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221

There was a nice 2 minute obit for him this morning on NPR's Saturday Morning Edition -- not too in-depth, but enough to credit him with the revival of the Flash and, by extension, introduce the Silver Age.

Link to the Story
  • Options
    When I started reading comics in the early to mid-1980s, I shied away from books with huge histories, preferring to get books like G.I. Joe, the 'Nam, and any number of mini-series that appeared to allow me the opportunity of jumping in on the ground floor. the one exception to this was the Flash, who was my favorite superhero from the Super Friends cartoon. My first issue was 336 (just over a year from the end of the series, but I had no idea at the time, obviously).

Infantino was the artist and he became THE Flash artist for me, the one with whom I compared all the others who came after. The way he drew superspeed in this second run on Flash was beautiful, dynamic, and wholly unique to him. Nobody else seemed able, or willing, to delineate it the way Infantino did.

I was talking with Pants at Super Show last weekend about how I was watching an Infantino Flash page online near the end of last year. it was from that first issue I bought, had Flash racing across the page, and was exactly what I wanted to add to my collection. But I needed to wait for tax time before I'd be able to afford it. But, it was sold very early this year, before I could pull the trigger. So, I did another search and found some other pages. when news of his passing came across the web, I knew it was time. I don't have very many original pages (5, total) and this one certainly holds a special place for me:

chris