Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Anyone know or deal with Sam/Frameitagainsam comic frames?

There was a post on the old forums about comic/art framing and someone mentioned/linked frameitagainsam which did custom comic frames with a unique loading system. I come from a family of professional framers but thought he had created a cool product and wanted to support him as a craftsman and sort of inventor. I purchased a frame from him about 20 days ago, and haven't heard anything or had my email responded to about a timeframe for shipping. I had thought since he was mentioned here that someone might know the scoop or if I should file a claim before it is too late. I'm pretty bummed, I thought I was doing a nice thing and had actually planned on placing a bigger order after seeing the initial one. My poor G.I. Joe #1 is still frameless and undisplayed, I'm just going to have to make one it seems.

Best Answer

• Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Answer ✓
    Took like 3 months for mine and I bought 10 at once. But I really like them. Don't worry, you'll get your frame. The only part that sucks is the waiting.

Answers

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I've never used them but I've had good luck with Gary Freiberg's Comic Frame.

You may want to check them out.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I'm more concerned with if I should file a claim at this point or if someone knows or can vouch for him I will let it go, I know he says he custom makes them. Those frames you linked are nice but all acrylic, I wanted something a bit nicer like the wood frame I ordered. I wish I could remember who it was that mentioned them (Torchsong?).
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Don't remember who posted it, but it was in response to my looking for a good frame for an original art page. I took a look at his site and thought the product looked nice, but it was a little more than I could spend at the moment, and I also remember reading something where he said that since he makes these by hand and can get backed-up on orders or otherwise caught up in everyday life, you're pretty much subject to the whims of his schedule and/or motivation.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited March 2012
    Oh, I found it. This is from his FAQ page:
    How long after I place an order do you ship my frames?

Every order is an order for custom frames. I build the frames to your size and color specifications. There are too many types and sizes and colors of frames to keep an inventory. Also, orders are filled on a first come first serve basis. Ideally, turnaround time is 7-10 days, but it can take longer.

Ok, here's how it works: I cut the frames in batches of about 50 frames, then put them together and ship them in the order they were placed. When all the frames are shipped I start cutting all the new orders I received since the last batch. How long it takes me to get a new order out depends on how big the previous batch was, and how far along I am in processing the old batch when you happen to place your order, and finally the size of the new batch and your position in it. The ancient Chinese secret is I have no idea how long it's going to take, and if Tremors I, II, III, or IV comes on the TV machine again I usually get sucked in to watching it for the 100th time. Just know that I'm working as hard as I can as fast as I can. Sometimes 12 hours a day, sometimes 12 days a week.
    None of this gets you your frames any faster, unfortunately, but at least he's up front about it, I guess?
  • Options
    Yes, I knew he custom makes them but I was generous in waiting about 19 days before emailing him. I haven't received anything in return and no frame :/ I'm totally OK with it taking even longer if I am actually going to get it... that is my concern though.
  • Options
    Great! Thanks so much that was what I was hoping to hear, hopefully it won't be 3 months but as long as it actually comes I don't mind supporting him and what he's designed. With family in the business and dealing with a lot of framers/artists I know timeliness is not always the strong suit, but as long as they do a great job I'm cool with it. I was planning on getting a 10 pack and a couple custom ones for some comic art to match. I'll make sure to contact him before ordering next time.
  • Options
    I just wanted to add that Sam did get back to me today and that it is shipping out! Seems like an awesome person and there may be a slight delay but he is pretty up front about them being custom made and in batches so I would have no hesitation recommending him and these frames. Can't wait to get my G.I. Joe up on my wall!