Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Animated Universe - A Retrospective (IF it Reboots)

With the announcement that the DC animated adaptation of "Flashpoint" may serve as a platform to re-launch the DC animated universe (similar how to the actual event rebooted the DCU itself), I thought it prudent to discuss the animated universe thus far. At least, the direct to DVD animated films. Also, it seems Bruce Timm has also stepped down as well, meaning they may never be the same again...maybe.

For refreshers, they are as follows:

Batman: Gotham Knight
Superman:Doomsday
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
Green Lantern: First Flight
Justice League: New Frontier
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Batman: Year One
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
Wonder Woman
All-Star Superman
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Justice League: Doom
Superman Vs. The Elite
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part One
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part Two

Those that have yet to be released are:

Superman: Unbound (based on Geoff Johns' "Braniac" storyline that led into "New Krypton" & "World of New Krypton")
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (it will probably just end up being called Flashpoint)

...and, for giggles, here are the animated shorts that accompanied them:

DC Showcase: The Spectre
DC Showcase: Jonah Hex
DC Showcase: Green Arrow
DC Showcase: Catwoman
Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam

With few exceptions ("Superman: Doomsday" & "Superman vs. The Elite") I think DC has put out some of the greatest animated features I've ever seen. "Batman: Under the Red Hood" is my personal favorite.

I know that occasionally the geeks of Comic Geek Speak discuss these features when they release, but I'm partial to the grand retrospective topics. So I was wondering what your thoughts were on the features? What stands out? What sucked? Were there any special features you liked? (in some ways, I first started buying these in the two disc format for the character documentary's some of them had) What'd you think of the Showcase featurettes? (I love them all but I particularly enjoyed the Spectre)

If the DC Animated Universe reboots, what of the New 52 do you hope to see adapted? If it doesn't, what do you hope to see adapted from the old DCU?

For me:

New 52:

Wonder Woman
Batman: Court/Night of Owls
OMAC
Aquaman: The Others

Old DCU:

Sinestro Corps War
Blackest Night
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Firestorm (anything really)
Ragman (pre-crisis)
Superman: New Krypton/World of New Krypton
Legion of Superheroes: Great Darkness Saga OR Legion of Three Worlds
Solomon Grundy (the Scott Kolins mini series)

Just a few thoughts. Have at it!

Chad

Comments

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I have seen 10 of the movies and I am waiting until the Dark Knight Returns comes out as one set before I get it.

I have really enjoyed all of them that I have seen. I have not seen Gotham Knights, Doomsday, the Elite, Or All Star Superman (all star, i might pick up in the future though)

I think the batman court of owl saga would be a good feature and although I don't plan to read it, I could see them making the upcoming Trinity War into cartoon form. I would watch an Aquaman n52 cartoon but I doubt DC will take that risk.

From the old universe, Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis. I really don't know how they would do either one though....
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Could I ask where you heard the Flashpoint movie could relaunch the animated universe? I don't really see how that would work or why it would even be warranted. Besides the two Superman/Batman films, these movies don't take place in any shared continuity, so there isn't actually any universe that could be relaunched. If they want to make movies based on the New 52 stories, they can just make them.

And even if that were a possibility, it really wouldn't make much sense to do that. The New 52 is less than 2 years old. How many stories exist that could be adapted into movies? And how long before they'd run out?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    If they begin using the new52 (in all respects) as their template for future animated features ill be crushed. For one thing it's entirely unnecessary and pointless for various reasons. Other than that there is also nothing whatsoever I want to see from the new52 animated or otherwise. It's all but ruined DC comics for me and driven me out of their universe. Thus far there are no stories from N52 worthy of translation IMO and there's no way I could stomach seeing the new designs and characterizations in motion any more than I can on the page.
    There are a couple things they could do but nothing that requires any kind of revamp to tell... Such as court of owls. And since none of the stories are connected, what's the point?
    As for projects I'd like to see, I want Judas Contract, Kingdom Come, Sinestro Corps War, and so many others.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    All Star Superman is the best superman movie. Period.
  • Options
    It's not so much "news" or anything, but an article I read from Newsarama speculating about the potential for the DC Animated Universe to be "relaunched" with FLashpoint...just got me thinking...

newsarama.com/tv/is-flashpoint-the-start-of-new-52-animated-universe.html
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I loved a lot of these movies. The shorts have been fantastic and the talent they get for these projects are just outstanding. For movies that I would want to see? In no order and putting them all in one list.

New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
    Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War
    Crisis on Infinite Earths
    Wonder Woman: The Contest
    The Flash: The Return of Barry Allen
    Batman: The Court of Owls
    Superman: Secret Origin
    Green Lantern: Secret Origin
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention that, since Bruce Timm is leaving, the rumor is that there will be no more animated adaptations. Apparently it might just become all original content from here on out.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Oh, I forgot to mention that, since Bruce Timm is leaving, the rumor is that there will be no more animated adaptations. Apparently it might just become all original content from here on out.

I think it would be best if they did original content anyway. That way they could write a strong 75-minute story rather than force a story like New Frontier, which really needed another 15-20 minutes added to it, into their 75-minute time constraint (a constraint required by the WB suits, and one which Bruce was never happy about).