Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1356 Talkback: Previews

It's Previews time once again as we go through the April catalog for items shipping to stores in June. (1:16:09)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited April 2013
    Haven't listened yet, and I already placed my order, but can anyone tell me if the Mouse Guard: Black Axe is listed as the wrong volume? I have vol. 1 and have never seen vol. 2 solicited. However, this month's Previews solicits vol. 3. Weird... or is it? :-SS Thanks!
  • Options
    For Murd, if they're using U.S. Naval rankings, the rank of Captain is higher than Commander. Ooo-rah.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    fredzilla said:

Haven't listened yet, and I already placed my order, but can anyone tell me if the Mouse Guard: Black Axe is listed as the wrong volume? I have vol. 1 and have never seen vol. 2 solicited. However, this month's Previews solicits vol. 3. Weird... or is it? :-SS Thanks!

Volume 2 would have been Winter 1152, and that came out quite a while ago -- a couple of years ago, at least.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I am a fan of Walking Dead but I have to read it in trade. I need to read it in chunks and then I need some time in between to recover over what I had read. Seems to work okay for me. Yeah, Navy rankings have it as Commander and then Captain. Look at Commander Riker and then Captain Picard.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited April 2013

Volume 2 would have been Winter 1152, and that came out quite a while ago -- a couple of years ago, at least.

I know what happened... I finally had a chance to go look at my bookshelf and I have Fall 1152 and Winter 1152 and the third book on my shelf was Tales of the Guard. I was mistaking that as Black Axe Vol. 1, and it is not. Thanks for the clarification anyway!
  • Options
    Shane,

Jonah Hex actually went into the future for 18 issues back in the mid-80s.

Unless you were talking about nu52 Hex, then just disregard what I have to say.

chris
  • Options
    Pants,

Can't believe you won't go for the Xenozoic artist's edition. In my opinion, Schultz's work is more beautiful than Dave Stevens's (yeah, sacrilege, but I said it).

Hoping to add this to my collection, but it'll be tough.

chris
  • Options
    Murd, you piqued my interest with the Monster Massacre HC and the fact that it's supposed to have an Alan Moore rarity within. So I started searching the interwebs to see exactly what story is in the book, and it does not appear that he does have a story as part of this volume. Yes, Moore's name is included in the rather pathetic description on Amazon, but every other piece I found that included a run-down of the stories in this volume had no Alan Moore stories. If you were ordering it for that, you may be disappointed.

Though, since it sounds like they may be using some stories from the old A1 series, it is possible that some of the shorts he had in there will find their way into this series (I saw it was being touted as a series of hardcovers in one piece). And it's possible things could change between solicitation and publication.

-chris
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Are there collections of Xenozoic Tales that are closer to a price that mere mortals can afford? Always meant to read it (I remember liking the Cadillacs and Dinosaurs cartoon back when it aired), but haven't really found an easy, affordable way to do so.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited April 2013

Are there collections of Xenozoic Tales that are closer to a price that mere mortals can afford? Always meant to read it (I remember liking the Cadillacs and Dinosaurs cartoon back when it aired), but haven't really found an easy, affordable way to do so.

It’s been collected several times, actually, in hardcover and paperback by Kitchen Sink (they did oversized editions), Dark Horse (complete in two volumes), and Flesk (all in one volume). The Flesk book is still in print, but it shouldn’t be too hard to track the Dark Horse volumes down either. I even see the Kitchen Sink editions now and then. They’re all very well produced, and you won’t go wrong with any of them.
  • Options
    @LibraryBoy - there's also a kickstarter going on for a new Schultz art book and a new edition of the complete Xenozoic (the trade for Xenozoic is a $35 pledge for 352 pages). You can check it out here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/481703930/the-art-of-mark-schultz-carbon-new-print-and-xenoz?ref=live

chris
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Thanks for the info, Eric and Chris!
  • Options

For Murd, if they're using U.S. Naval rankings, the rank of Captain is higher than Commander. Ooo-rah.

Well, technically Steel is (or was, in the old continuity) a Marine rather than a regular Navy man, if that makes a difference--but nevertheless, I stand (and salute) corrected! Thanks for the clarification, Frank, and thanks also to @limeflavored, who contacted me via e-mail to make the same point. No disrespect meant to any servicepeople past or present, but I wasn't really thinking in terms of actual military rank when I made my remark; all I meant was that, because 1.) there are already so many characters in comics who hold the "rank" of "Captain," but comparatively few "Commanders"; and 2.) "commander" just sounds more impressive than "captain," regardless of the actual degrees of authority implied by those titles within the real-life military, Steel's name-change feels like a demotion to me, and I'm a little sorry that James Robinson decided, for whatever reason, to implement it.

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Thanks for the heads up on Saga TPB 2, guys - I'd totally overlooked it!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    I'm pretty psyched for the new X-files:)