Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Superman's 75th Anniversary April 18th

To help commemorate Superman's 75th anniversary, Mayor Jackson of Cleveland marked April 18th Superman Day, which is the date that Superman first appeared in Action Comics:

cleveland.com/comic-books/index.ssf/2013/04/mayor_jackson_to_proclaim_thur.html

Thought this would be a good thread and topic to talk about our favorite Superman memories (ex. Favorite stories, favorite movie/TV moments, favorite toy memories, etc.).

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    For me, I remember reading my uncle's old Action Comics and Adventure Comics where Superman hung out with the Legion of Superheroes. To this day, I am still in love with Superman: For All Seasons. That book is just amazing. I also still love to watch Superman: The Movie and the Max Fleisher Superman cartoons which I think still hold up pretty well today. I remember having Superman underoos which was pretty cool as well as others. I had that matchbox Superman rockets ship with the dual fists that sprung out with a click of a button. That was a cool ship.
  • Options
    I still need to read For All Seasons. I have heard nothing but great things about it, so I'm sure I would love it.

For me I didn't get heavy into Superman comics until near the Death of Superman craze. I of course saw the movies, and Christopher Reeves will always be my image I have in my head when I think of Superman. I collected the entire Doomsday story and collected all of the Funeral For a Friend story arc issues. Then I read all of the imposter stories up through Superman's return. Since then some stories I have really enjoyed that maybe others were not so keen on (ex. - Superman Red & Superman Blue), but I still had fun with them. I'm looking forward to Superman Unchained to bring Superman back to prominence in the new 52. Action Comics started off great but has just been okay for me since. I dropped Superman as a title, but have heard great things about the Lobdell/Rocafort run, so I might get that in trade.

When it comes to film stuff outside of the Reeves movies, I also love the Fleischer stuff. I also loved the Adventures of Superman that came out after Batman The Animated Series. Then of course we have the great depictions in the Justice League/Justice League Unlimited cartoon. I even really enjoyed the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon with Superboy in it.

Action figure wise I had a Super Powers Superman as a kid. I currently have several DC Classics Superman figures and some DC Direct ones all in different versions or costumes: ex. of some are Superman Red, Superman Blue, Black Suit Superman, Kingdom Come Superman, New 52 Superman, Traditional Superman, etc.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited April 2013
    George Reeves was the Superman I grew up with, and I first read the comics during the heart of the Silver Age... but, for my money, the best era for Superman was during the post-Crisis era, from John Byrne's Man Of Steel and on through the next roughly 15 years until the disastrously heavy-handed era of Eddie Berganza's editorship.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    If you go on audible.com, you can get the radio drama "The Aventures of Superman" which are awesome and even more so because they still have the promos they did for whatever product that was the sponsor of that show and it's fun to listen to.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited April 2013
    Date: August 2,1999

photo supermanlandmines_zps79d0e4a1.jpg

First Lady Hillary Clinton presents "Deadly Legacy" to promote landmine awareness.

To find out more about that very important event (and similar DC projects) go to Wiki :

Superman: Deadly Legacy

I love/need my escapism - but one needs not to forget the reality. :-B