Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

After You Win the 640 Million Dollar Jackpot....

Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
If you are like me you probably broke down and bought a Mega Millions ticket(assuming your state participates).

I'm sure there are a lot of things you'd do with your money that would help a lot of friends and family.

However, when the time came for splurging, what sort of comic related stuff would you buy?

Money is, more or less, no object.

Original art? Old, high grade issues? Pay Peter enough money to come back to the show? What?

EDIT: Subject changed to reflect the jackpot as of Friday 12pm CST.

Comments

• Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    I played $20. Its fun to think of all the things you would do. I would buy a large estate and install a comic book reading room. Excellent storage, seating, and lighting. Optimum humidity and temperature controlled to preserve the collection. I would load that room up with original art and rare issues.

It's always fun to dream!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited March 2012
    Yes, the tickets have been bought.

After all of the improtant stuff is taken of, with that kind of cash, I really would try to open a comic/hobby store for the Michigan City/La Porte area. My wife would insist on it and probably kick my arse if I didn't try.

This is something that I have been thinking about and working out on paper for pretty close to 15 years. I've watched every comic and hobby shop in this area close down due to owner incompetence, not lack of customers and it makes me sick when I look back on it.

There is very strong base here for comics, manga, and games of every kind. They need and deserve a place to call their own.

I would also open a diner. Then I would have the greatest miniature golf course ever built and run an annual charity event which is also something that I have been thinking about since '99.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    I'd get the new iPad and go nuts at Comixology... and I'd finish binding all my old comics. And then there'd be a lot of churches, schools, and ministries that would find some fat checks coming their way.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Hmm

First I would complete all teh various comic runs I have wanted for years. Then I would buy one copy of every Showcase presents,Essential,Marvel Masterworks and DC archives. Then I would take half of what is left over and invest it in some stocks and stuff. I would also put away at least 2 million to go towards my youngest son's future education. What is left over I would use to open up a collectibles store somewhere on the MS gulf coast.
  • Options
    I'd get the new iPad and go nuts at Comixology... and I'd finish binding all my old comics. And then there'd be a lot of churches, schools, and ministries that would find some fat checks coming their way.
    With all that $$$ you wouldn't have to use comixology if space is the reason. Just buy a real big house with a nice built in Comic Room.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    With all that $$$ you wouldn't have to use comixology if space is the reason. Just buy a real big house with a nice built in Comic Room.
    But Comixology is much more convenient to take with on the weekly island vacations. And he didn't say he was getting rid of his old print comics.

Me, I'd spend the entire 540 million on cotton candy and styrofoam peanuts.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    In regards to comics, I'd return to my favorite part of the hobby - collecting original art.

At one point, I was out of monthly issues, didn't care about action figures, and I was gaining quite a collection. Then, economics came into play, and I haven't really picked up much in a while.

First, I'd buy a house that I could literally fill every wall with original art. Then, I'd go after all those pieces that I lost in auctions or couldn't afford at the time or that people were unwilling to sell (because, hey, I know that page has Triplicate Girl in one panel and you collect anything with LoSH characters in it, but I think you'll part with it for this insanely large amount of cash). Then, I'd go after some dream pages/covers.

That house would become my personal art museum. (Heck, maybe I'd even have a room to finally set up the 35+ Batman Black & White statues that I don't have room for now!)

Maybe I'd invest in an HD Cintiq, too, return to making my webcomic. After all, I'd have the time, because there is NO WAY I'd keep my crummy little job with that kind of moolah around.

Ah, to dream... the only problem is, when I don't win, it'll hurt more after thinking like this.

:(
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited March 2012
    While dining prior to seeing a midnight showing of The Hunger Games last week, one of the gals I went with gave me a Hunger Games pin which reads, "May the odds be ever in your favor". I took it as a sign. I told her that when I won the lottery I'd buy everyone sitting at our dinner table (seven in all) that I'd buy them all iPads. So other than buying iPads, I haven't really made any expenditure commitments. I currently lack dental insurance, and have been putting off some sorely needed (not to mention very expensive) dental work as a result. I suppose that would be something I'd take care of right away.

As for comics. I'd probably sell off a lot of my floppies, and convert them to trades. I'd buy a Terry Moore page or two and maybe commission something. As an admin. on another comics related forum, I've made a lot of online acquaintances many of whom reside on the other side of the world. Quite a few of those acquaintances have blossomed into strong friendships, and I would very much like to travel and meet these people. I guess that would be considered comic related, as I'd be traveling the globe to meet people who share my love for comics.
  • Options
    Fade2Black, if your numbers come up, don't worry because I'll volunteer to take your place.
  • Options
    But Comixology is much more convenient to take with on the weekly island vacations. And he didn't say he was getting rid of his old print comics.

Don't forget Bubble Wrap!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Kinky!
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    $1 million to the Hero Initiative
    $1 million to the CBLDF

Then I hit the original page sites and start putting stuff together...
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I bought a couple of tickets. If I won?

1. Make sure my parents and grandparents are taken care of.
    2. Build a house, have my girl movie in with me
    3. Make a home theatre system of the gods
    4. Have a comics room of the gods. Wall-to-wall geekery
    5. Ipads for everyone.
    6. Sponsor some podcasts.
  • Options
    5. Ipads for everyone.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    The jackpot has just risen to $640,000,000!
  • Options
    Think maybe getting an extra ticket or two on the way home wouldn't be a bad idea....
  • Options
    The jackpot has just risen to $640,000,000!
    And so have my pants. Holy crap.
  • Options
    I'm gonna go nuts if a 90 year old reclusive granny at death's door with no family to share it with wins all this.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I would feel obliged to use the Lost numbers, but I know that would not end well. Thus, I think I will sit it out. However, if I did win, I would do all the nice stuff, take care of family, give to charity, blah blah. I'd also get a bunch of comics and toys and stuff like that. Kinda a given. Onto my unique ideas. I would get a house in both Cape May and Wildwood NJ, open a store on the boardwalk. I would also play 1 mil in boardwalk games. I know I have it me, I have gone on $1000 boardwalk binges before. Then I'd probably come back to school and get a degree b/c I know I will somehow gamble and spend all the jackpot away. I need a backup plan.
  • Options
    I would commission an unpublishable "Lost Tale of Paul Kirk, Manhunter" from Walt Simonson.

Or maybe "The Further Adventures of Little Nico."
  • Options
    The jackpot is expected to grow even more before the drawing tonight, as of right now it is 462 million dollar payout after taxes. Ticket sales are estimated at $1.4 billion.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    My wife told me today that I'll get $1 mil. to spend on comics. I can get anything and all that I want for $1 mil. As if I didn't really want to win this already...
  • Options
    I have to admit, I went out and bought more tickets.

A dollar and a dream, baby!
  • Options
    Picked up five more on my way home.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'd build a batcave
  • Options
    I'd build a batcave
    That should have been on my list.

I'd love to build a Bat-Computer as well.
  • Options
    A batcave would be pretty cool. I might go with a replica od Avengers mansion though.
  • Options
    Ugh, terrible.

I guess my house with wall-to-wall Olivier Coipel murals will have to wait. :(
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Original art and some classic valuable books, a full size Batmobile and a lifsize Batman statue and maybe some genuine movie props.