Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Wanna help me raise money for The Autism Project?

My family will be walking in the 11th Annual Imagine Walk for Autism on Sunday, April 28th, to help raise money and awareness for The Autism Project, a group here in Rhode Island that helps kids with various Autism Spectrum Disorders and their families. My son Liam was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome last summer and as been taking social skills classes at The Autism Project since the start of the school year, and the progress he has been able to make in that time is astounding to my wife and I. His patience and reasoning have improved by leaps and bounds, so we can attest first hand that these are good people doing good work.

I hate going to people hat-in-hand asking for donations, but I wouldn't do it for a cause I didn't sincerely believe in. There's a fundraising goal on the page, but I really don't care about that. Anything people can give will help my son and other kids like him, and that's really all I care about. Thank you in advance for any support, monetary or moral, you can offer.

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/BillDoughty/11thAnnualImagineWalkandFamilyFunDayforAutism

Comments

• Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    edited April 2013
    My son has Autism as well ... you couldn't give to a better cause as far.

We are trying to put together an Autism Corner in our local library (totally the wife's idea) full of not just books about Autism, but my son's favorite books and movies and such.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    That sounds like an awesome idea, @Steeven. Let me know how that goes!

If you're looking for a great book on Asperger for little kids (or for adults who maybe don't understand what it all means and insist there's "nothing wrong" with the kid... like, say, my parents? :D ), my wife and I recommend All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome by Kathy Hoopman. It brilliantly describes common behaviors of Asperger kids by comparing them to how cats act, and it stresses that it's not a question of anything being "wrong," just that it's a different way of perceiving and dealing with the various stimuli of the everyday world. My son even brought it in to share with his teacher and the rest of his second grade class and everyone loved it. Can't recommend that one highly enough.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    Thanks @LibraryBoy, I'll be sure to check that book out.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Thanks to the generosity of family and friends (a few of whom came from here in CGS Land), we managed to raise over $1,100 for the Autism Project. We were amazed by - and grateful for - all the support!