Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

WTF? Back In The Boob Window – Power Girl Gets Dressed In Supergirl #19

You might have thought this moment may have been saved for her own title, World’s Finest… but in Supergirl #19, a certain Power Girl gets her long promised new costume.
That will please some people I’m sure. But then we got a scene that…

Look, Bleeding Cool ran a very silly story on April Fool’s Day. A number of silly stories. But this one in particular was even sillier than the proposed Church Of Grant Morrison. And then in the actual issue itself, your real WTF moment. It certainly got that reaction from me.
bleedingcool.com/2013/04/19/back-in-the-boob-window-power-girl-gets-dressed-in-supergirl-19/

Comments

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I'm sure it will.... but to me the art just looks bleh
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Ugh. That art desperately needs a decent inker.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited April 2013
    The art is by Mahmud Asrar (he’s Turkish)—he inks his own stuff. Yes, the blacks are poorly spotted, but they’re probably in the pencils too. Basically he over-renders. His figures are rather nice, and they would look much better if he kept a more open approach in his drawing. But, frankly, I think the coloring may be worse than the inking.

Personally, I like the “window” look and have ever since Wally Wood added it to the costume. It breaks up all that white space, especially with that high collar. It could certainly stand to be a just little smaller though. Not a fan of those gloves and boots either.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

The art is by Mahmud Asrar (he’s Turkish)—he inks his own stuff. Yes, the blacks are poorly spotted, but they’re probably in the pencils too. Basically he over-renders. His figures are rather nice, and they would look much better if he kept a more open approach in his drawing. But, frankly, I think the coloring may be worse than the inking.

Personally, I like the “window” look and have ever since Wally Wood added it to the costume. It breaks up all that white space, especially with that high collar. It could certainly stand to be a just little smaller though. Not a fan of those gloves and boots either.

I understood from Gerry Conway (during his interview at ECCC) that he was the one who designed the window -- although he just intended it to be a circle design, similar to, but not explicitly intended to be, an insignia, with the intention of breaking up the white space, like you suggested. Somebody else decided to color the circle flesh color to suggest the 'open window', and so it went.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I understood from Gerry Conway (during his interview at ECCC) that he was the one who designed the window -- although he just intended it to be a circle design, similar to, but not explicitly intended to be, an insignia, with the intention of breaking up the white space, like you suggested. Somebody else decided to color the circle flesh color to suggest the 'open window', and so it went.
    Come to think of it, I do seem to remember reading that somewhere. And if Gerry said it, I’m sure it’s true. But I’m thinking it was the cleavage that Wood inked inside the circle that made the colorist think it should be flesh colored.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I haven't been reading Supergirl, so I haven't kept up with Asrar's work. However, I don't remember him being quite that angular. Perhaps he's pressed for time, or it was just a bad day.
    I agree with you on the color. It doesn't help.
  • Options
    I've been reading Supergirl off and on since the New 52 started...

and the art in Supergirl #18, also by Mahmud Asrar, is much better than in the panels from #19 above...

hopefully they'll be better when printed, as I'm looking forward to a Supergirl from Earth-1 and Supergirl from Earth-2 meeting up for the first time.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Ah.

I thought it was another case of just darkening the pencils.

But yes, the coloring is atrocious.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm hoping that Asrar just had an off-day (off-issue?). He's much better than what's being shown here.