Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comics With or Without Pulp Talkback: Special Edition Vol 1. Masks #1 to #4

'No one knows what lies behind the masked charade.' A look at Dynamite Entertainment's mini-series Masks issues 1 to 4; with some insight by series writer, Chris Roberson. Also, we discuss some of the pulp comics released by DE. Shane, Jamie D, and Pants join in for the discussion. (1:11:08)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Just finished up these issues last week. Looking forward to hearing what Matt and the rest of the gang has to say.

chris
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Great episode, gentlemen. I've only read the Zero (?) issue myself (it was included free in one of my DCBS shipments), but I liked it quite a bit. I had considered trying to catch up at that point, but ultimately decided to wait for the trade on this. As much as I like what Dynamite does with a lot of the properties they get, they also have a tendency to just let stuff vanish without completing it (I'm looking at you Kirby Genesis spinoffs and Project: Superpowers). My trust of them is somewhat measured as a result.

BUT, once the trade is released, I'll be all over it.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited April 2013
    Great work fellas! I have been really enjoying all the recent pulp-inspired comics of late. ZI cannot get enough of rhe Ross covers. We have a big pulp collection at our campus library here at BGSU.

The villainous cop from the Rocketeer is based on movie heavy Rondo Hatton:

Also, there is a nice DVD on the history of The Shadow for sale on Amazon. Check it out!
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I read the first issue of this and thought it was really cool. I'll be looking forward to getting this in trade now and reading the entire story.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    YOU BASTARDS! Now I have to read this.
  • Options
    Good episode. I was hoping for some discussion about the difference between the art from issue one and the later issues. I only read issue one and decided to wait for the trade. How is the art in issues #2-4?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    First, thanks guys for the assist with this episode. I'm hoping to turn the pulp comic tide.

Good episode. I was hoping for some discussion about the difference between the art from issue one and the later issues. I only read issue one and decided to wait for the trade. How is the art in issues #2-4?

To be honest, I find Calero's work very good. Its in line with the feel I get from other pulp comics I've read from Dynamite Entertainment. I'm not going to lie to you though, he's no Alex Ross. If Ross is considered the gold standard, then Calero falls way short of the line.

So, if you're only interest in the book was Ross' work, then I'd skip it. If you're willing to get past the level of art from issue 1 forward, then I'd give it a try.

M
  • Options
    rebis said:

YOU BASTARDS! Now I have to read this.

My master plan is aligning perfectly!

M
  • Options
    JaxUr said:

Great work fellas! I have been really enjoying all the recent pulp-inspired comics of late. ZI cannot get enough of rhe Ross covers. We have a big pulp collection at our campus library here at BGSU.

The villainous cop from the Rocketeer is based on movie heavy Rondo Hatton:

Also, there is a nice DVD on the history of The Shadow for sale on Amazon. Check it out!

Great, another thing to add to my never-ending Amazon Wishlist! Thanks for the info.

M
  • Options
    I've read 1-3 and I'm remembering why I stay away from Dynamite. I really want to like this, but the illustration is just too distracting. I like a looser style, but the draftsmanship underneath has to be spot on. There's just to many examples of faces where eyes feel like their floating on the face or a nose looks like a lump of putty. The colors aren't helping either. For example, in issue 3 there's a series of panels showing a man begin hauled out of his house while Green Lama and Miss Fury watch. In one panel it's a white couple. A panel or two later it's a black man and a white woman. The next panel it's a black couple.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I've read 1-3 and I'm remembering why I stay away from Dynamite. I really want to like this, but the illustration is just too distracting. I like a looser style, but the draftsmanship underneath has to be spot on. There's just to many examples of faces where eyes feel like their floating on the face or a nose looks like a lump of putty. The colors aren't helping either. For example, in issue 3 there's a series of panels showing a man begin hauled out of his house while Green Lama and Miss Fury watch. In one panel it's a white couple. A panel or two later it's a black man and a white woman. The next panel it's a black couple.

I can't deny this. Normally, I can overlook your initial concerns in the Shadow titles, because for some reason I like the fluidity; I think its related to the Shadow's powers.

The ethnicity color change, however, has no excuse for no continuity.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

rebis said:

I can't deny this. Normally, I can overlook your initial concerns in the Shadow titles, because for some reason I like the fluidity; I think its related to the Shadow's powers.

M
    I have to agree with you on the Shadow. The close-ups with the normal eye and the big crazy eye work very well. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the other characters.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Matt said:

rebis said:

M
    I have to agree with you on the Shadow. The close-ups with the normal eye and the big crazy eye work very well. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the other characters.
    Yeah, the art is definitely the biggest issue with this series, especially with it starting with Alex Ross, then switching with #2. Its probably why we really didn't get into it on the episode.

M
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I think I'll pick up the trade after hearing this episode. Good work guys.