Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Iron Man 3 (Now with spoilers)

Since it's already out in some places, here's a thread to discuss it. I'll be going to see it tomorrow with virtually no information on it. All I know is Ben Kingsley is playing the Mandarin (I think).

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    My ticket is booked for Friday night. I've tried to keep away from details too, although did see a headline on newsarama saying it up there with Iron Man 1 and The Avengers. I'm looking forward to this!
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Well, I really enjoyed it! In my view it's better than IM2, I didn't know Guy Pearce was in it or his 'think tank'. However, one niggle, when you watch it you might notice your hometown mentioned as part of the Mandarin's backstory. That really took me out of the film for a moment and was an unnecessary 'local customisation' of the film.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I forgot to add... stay to the very end, as usual there is an extra bit.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    The more I see about the plot of Iron Man 3, the less excited I'm becoming. It wouldn't surprise me if this is RDJ's last suit up as Iron Man.

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    No chance. He's already signed for A2. I think he looks at these movies as the pay days that will let him do whatever he wants soon
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Ah, searching for the link, earlier today i read an interview article where Paltrow made the comment that she felt Iron Man was done after this movie and didn't expect RDJ to come back, in the same article it said that RDJ had agreed to do A2, but hasn't actually signed anything yet. It was not the post on Bleeding Cool, I came across it by accident and I'm taking all of that with a grain of salt because I thought RDJ was signed for at least one more Iron Man movie and the A2.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Greg said:

Ah, searching for the link, earlier today i read an interview article where Paltrow made the comment that she felt Iron Man was done after this movie and didn't expect RDJ to come back, in the same article it said that RDJ had agreed to do A2, but hasn't actually signed anything yet. It was not the post on Bleeding Cool, I came across it by accident and I'm taking all of that with a grain of salt because I thought RDJ was signed for at least one more Iron Man movie and the A2.

IIRC, there's some question as to whether his cameo in The Incredible Hulk counted toward his five-film commitment.

That said, I absolutely expect to see him in A2.
  • Options
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Just got back from the cinema. It's a very good film and feels very much like a Shane Black film rather than something made by committee.

Avengers was certainly a bigger event and spectacle, but this feels like a better film. I'd argue it's the best Marvel film so far as it never feels like it's advancing story lines for films not out yet, which was the biggest weakness of most of the other films.

• Options
    Here's from the wikipedia entry (if you don't want the whole movie spelled out for you, I would avoid looking at the site):

'Future:

According to director Shane Black, Robert Downey, Jr.'s contract with Marvel Studios, which expires after the release of Iron Man 3, may extend in order for the actor to appear in a second Avengers film and at least one more Iron Man film. He said: "There has been a lot of discussion about it: 'Is this the last Iron Man for Robert [Downey, Jr.]?' Something tells me that it will not be the case, and [he] will be seen in a fourth, or fifth." Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has said that the character of Tony Stark will continue to be featured in the Marvel Cinematic Universe regardless of Downey's involvement.[102] Downey has since said he is open to extending his contract, stating he feels "there's a couple other things we've gotta do" with his character.[103] Black told the Independent that Downey will return as Stark for the fourth film.[104] In an April 2013 interview, Don Cheadle mentioned the possibility of James Rhodes appearing in Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Avengers sequel.[105] Cheadle told Empire magazine that Iron Man 3 could be the final film in the series: "The door is always left open in these kinds of movies especially when they do as well as they have done. I know there was talk of making sure we did this one right, and if it worked it could be the last one. There's room for more to be done with these characters. We're getting to a sweet spot with Tony and Rhodey, anyway. Robert's really busy, he's just had a kid, and if he were to say I need a break for a second, I would not blame him."[106]

After the final scene [redacted for the forum], the credits state that "Iron Man will return".'

Nothing seems to be concrete with his return to the Marvel Movie U. I think that is the reason why I am not overly excited about this movie anymore.

M
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Downey's also been making comments about how he'd like to go back to making smaller, artistic films. Whether it means he's seriously considering retiring from the role or just angling for a bigger contract, who knows.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Marathon said:

I forgot to add... stay to the very end, as usual there is an extra bit.

It continues to surprise me that people need to be told to stay to the very end of Marvel movies. =p

Then again, suppose the people here don't need to be told....
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I've just seen the film and really enjoyed it. I do have one gripe about the action scenes. Not that they weren't well done, but they tended to be filmed in very close at times. I found myself mentally willing the camera to pull back on the actors, allowing me to better appreciate the fight scenes.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Mulling it over this morning, I agree. The action in Avengers felt like it had been more thoughtfully storyboarded so you got a sense of the flow of action. The final battle especially was messy and confusing.

The two lengthy non-suit action sequences I thought worked a lot better than the more special effects filled sequences.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Actors make these kind of comments all the time when they are looking for more money. Daniel Craig said the same stuff right before Skyfall came out then signed on for 2 more.
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Watched and enjoyed it this afternoon. I would rate it as good, bordering on great. It's no Avengers but it's better than Iron Man 2.

It's the most stand-alone of the films, with few easter eggs.

I checked my watch a couple of times, the pacing could've been tighter...but all of the characters are handled well.

A final thought/frustration is why do all the climactic battles in IM have to happen in the dark? Would it have killed them to have a nice brightly lit battle where you could actually see what was going on?
  • Options
    Greg said:

I know what you're talking about. But money has a way of making people do stuff. When planning for IM4 starts a few years from now and they go to RDJ with a check for $25 million and an agreement to do two movies of his choice... he'll come back.
  • Options
    kiwijase said:

I've just seen the film and really enjoyed it. I do have one gripe about the action scenes. Not that they weren't well done, but they tended to be filmed in very close at times. I found myself mentally willing the camera to pull back on the actors, allowing me to better appreciate the fight scenes.

I personally blame the Bourne Identity for all of this infecting action movies.
  • Options
    JDick said:

Actors make these kind of comments all the time when they are looking for more money. Daniel Craig said the same stuff right before Skyfall came out then signed on for 2 more.

Yup, and Connery said no mas once. Then they said they'd pay him a ton and give him to reigns to do whatever he wanted on some movies of his own. Then he came back again for even more money (although at a different studio).
  • Options
    Planeis said:

JDick said:

Yup, and Connery said no mas once. Then they said they'd pay him a ton and give him to reigns to do whatever he wanted on some movies of his own. Then he came back again for even more money (although at a different studio).
    That was Never Say Never Again. I believe he donated his entire salary to the Scottish International Educational Trust.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kiwijase said:

Planeis said:

JDick said:

That was Never Say Never Again. I believe he donated his entire salary to the Scottish International Educational Trust.
    Incorrect. It was Diamonds Are Forever. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamonds_Are_Forever_(film)

"When approached about resuming the role of Bond, Connery demanded the fee of £1.25 million (£20 million in 2013 pounds[8]) and to entice the actor to play Bond one more time United Artists offered to back two films of his choice.[9] After both sides agreed to the deal, Connery used the fee to establish the Scottish International Education Trust, where Scottish artists could apply for funding without having to leave their country to pursue their careers."

Recently watched an interview with Connery on the Diamonds Are Forever BluRay (done at the time the film was made) and he explained why he came back.
  • Options
    Thanks for the correction.

I wonder if one of the two films UA agreed to back was Zardoz?

photo 268070_10150290662740971_6078480_n_zpsc22fb3c9.jpg
  • Options
    Saw it. Liked it. Fell asleep. Not because of the movie. Just really tired. Pretty surprised at a couple twists.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Planeis said:

Saw it. Liked it. Fell asleep. Not because of the movie. Just really tired. Pretty surprised at a couple twists.

With prices as they are, it still surprises me that people fall asleep at movies. =p

(Then again, not every place is jacked up like NY. Hell, in Virginia, they have Stadium theaters where the tickets are 7.50)
  • Options

Planeis said:

With prices as they are, it still surprises me that people fall asleep at movies. =p

(Then again, not every place is jacked up like NY. Hell, in Virginia, they have Stadium theaters where the tickets are 7.50)
    Get talked into a chick flick for the wife. Trust me, if tickets were $20 each & I was forced to go, I'd make sure to fall asleep!

M
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I'll probably see it again on Wednesday for $5 - special discount day. I also loved being surprised by those couple twists.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I'm heading in to see the early-morning matinee today which is usually reasonably priced, but, since I'll be seeing it in 3D, it'll still come out to $9 or $9.50.
  • Options

Planeis said:

Well, I've kinda sworn off seeing movies late like that. Its just too hard. But a friend I haven't seen in forever asked me to go.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited May 2013
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

Get talked into a chick flick for the wife. Trust me, if tickets were $20 each & I was forced to go, I'd make sure to fall asleep!

M
    That's the only problem with the cinema £25 (nearly $40) for a couple, for a couple hours entertainment is crazy. I used to nearly every week. Now I'm lucky to go 4/5 times a year max.

Did love this movie though RDJ awesome as usual. Brilliantly written movie and loved those twists. The bit at the end was awesome too.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

M
    That's the only problem with the cinema £25 (nearly $40) for a couple, for a couple hours entertainment is crazy. I used to nearly every week. Now I'm lucky to go 4/5 times a year max.

Did love this movie though RDJ awesome as usual. Brilliantly written movie and loved those twists. The bit at the end was awesome too.
    This why we we hit up the drive-in as much as we can during the warmer months. For what it would cost just for me and the wife at a theater, we can take the whole family. On top of that you get two movies and it doesn't cost an extra $30-$40 for drinks and popcorn.