Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1365 Talkback: Age of Ultron Issues 4 to 6

Our running recap of Marvel's latest miniseries event continues with the second act (Books 4-6) of Age of Ultron, as heroes convene, ethical debates erupt, and things get timey-wimey! Read along with us in this episode. (1:20:11)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    It’s no wonder you’re seeing Alan Davis in Bryan Hitch’s work. Early on in Hitch’s career, he heavily swiped from Alan’s work, which was especially noticeable when Mark Farmer or Paul Neary (Alan’s usual inkers) inked him. While he stopped directly swiping from Alan, his influence has always been pretty visible.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    The Ultimate Nullifier has been used at least once that I can recall: by Quasar during the Infinity War.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Pants, the storytelling trope you're referring to re: ultimate nullifier is Chekov's Gun
    It took you to Cap's death to know this was all gonna be reset? I knew it by Taskmaster's demise. Really wish Bendis didn't tip his hand like that.

Speaking of the big B. Listen to his recent Wordballoon appearance It's fairly apparent he's not worried about Superior Spider-Man antics or old laws on Marvel Universe time travel.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm just not sure about this story as a whole. It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination and there have been moments that should have made me go "WOW!" and it's just not. The things that are supposed to have me in shock and awe just doesn't and I guess I'm wondering what reprecussions from this story will have actually stick and have long term consequences to these characters going forward. Overall, it's just not doing it for me.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    And now for something completely different.

Pants. Regarding Dr. Who audio books. I've listed to a handful of Tennant's work. I really like Resurrection Casket.

Regarding flying cars. It should be mentioned that Bru's Cap used the car quite a bit. I think the best mention of the flying car was by Drunk Cap.

Btw Pants. Are you holding out on new Drunk Cap?
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

The Ultimate Nullifier has been used at least once that I can recall: by Quasar during the Infinity War.

Thanks for the info and shame on Murd for not remembering it LOL
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited May 2013
    Age of Ultron is pretty good so far. Standard Bendis event...which means solid writing but nothing to go nuts over.

I do struggle reading it knowing it was meant to come out a year ago, or so. So many things are off when you consider where many of these characters are in their own books. Spider-Man, obviously, but even Sue Storm should be off in space with her family..the Fantastic Four AU issue was a very lame attempt at explaining why she's there.
    rebis said:

Regarding flying cars. It should be mentioned that Bru's Cap used the car quite a bit. I think the best mention of the flying car was by Drunk Cap.

Yeah, I have to admit I was a *little* surprised he wasn't aware of the flying car. Of course Murd's knowledge of comic trivia dwarfs most people's and he isn't a synthazoid..he can't know everything! :)

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    The last time Tony ran into Ultron was Avengers 12.1 when Ultron returned to Earth by taking over the Space Knight Armor found by Spider-woman.

But for the coordinates Tony is probably referring to the time travel story in the Heroic Age Avengers title by Bendis and JRJR. It's where Kang and Ultron's battle in the future broke the time/space continuum. Kang couldn't be Ultron which forced him to bring the Avengers to the future.

Great ep as always.
  • Options
    I guess the story has been okay. I just don't know how much stock I should put in this story with Infinity coming so quickly and it's obvious there is going to be some kind of "reset button" at the end of this event. Art has been on par.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    @pants I have a good number of the Doctor Who audio stuff from audible and they are great. For the most part, a lot of them are audio versions of BBC books and are read mostly by stars of the show. You have ones read by David Tennant, (it's worth it just to hear his versions of Rose and Jackie and Mickie) Freema Agyman and Katherine Tate, just to name a few. You also have classic Doctor Who like a lot of 2nd Doctor stories that are basically audio plays of the actual shows with bridging narration from people such as Frazier Hines who played Jamie McCrimmon during the 2nd Doctor's time. Those are really quite amazing since all of those stories are lost to us in visual form.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Guess I'm the only one enjoying the series so far. Huh.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549

Nah I'm digging it...I keep wondering how the heroes are going to get themselves out of this one. However I will say he has to stick the ending to make us feel it was all worth it.

• Options
    gothamkidgothamkid Posts: 42

It's been entertaining, but it has a few flaws. The chief among them being that it was written (it seems) almost 18 months ago and no longer syncs up with the larger Marvel Universe. Some of the crossovers try to address it, but its leached it of most of its drama. I'm not worried about what happens because they felt the need to deter the FF from their vacation in FanFour 6AU, but there right back in FanFour 6-7, so you assume everything gets undone.

I also wanted to add an addendum to Mord's discertation on Marvel time travel. While it is well established that it always creates a divergent timestream, it does not always result in the time traveler returning to their original time track. There have been several cases of people returning to the future of the divergent time stream created, which has resulted in their absence after they left in their original time track. So while it may not be the timeline they left from that they return to, Bendis wouldn't be cheating established Marvel time travel rules if Wolverine and Sue Storm returned to a changed future in #7 that was different from what they had left.

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Still not reading it, but it's interesting to hear the discussion!
    I especially like hearing the questions from Pants about Marvel history and Murd and Jamie's answers.
    Flying car: hmm....so, I guess that's why I only heard a FEW geeks laugh during a Drunk Cap call when he got Sharon Carter angry because he called her Peggy so "
    he saiid: "She got upset, got into her car, and flew away!"
    So, I'm still not convinced enough to get the trade, but I'll keep listening.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    rebis said:

Btw Pants. Are you holding out on new Drunk Cap?

I also been missing Drunk Cap,Batroc the Leaper and Hugh Jase. And shit Cousin Buzz. Seems like he has been gone for 5 years now. And I know he left the forums right after Michael Jackson died.