Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1368 Talkback: Comic Talk - Free Comic Book Day and more

Free Comic Book Day is here; happiness and cheer! The Geeks compare the piles of goodies they amassed over the weekend, while Jamie reminds us all of 'what FCBD is all about, Charlie Brown,' from a retailer's perspective. Also, a few words about the new 'Teen Titans Go!' cartoon and Doctor Who (more than a few words really), and a distress signal from Murd, as the fate of a spin-off podcast hangs in the balance! (58:28)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Looking forward to hearing about your experiences. Also about Doctor Who.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I think you can find those GI Combat issues on ebay for less than $5 each. I am looking forward to the new episodes from Murd.
  • Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    Looking at mycomicshop.com it also looks like issues 274-275 are the Crisis issues for G.I. Combat.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Pants. Once you've caught up on your Doctor viewing, I would suggest you check out the Radio Free Skaro podcast. When Mike was still with CGS, he turned me onto it. Really good podcast. They have talked about the process for making early Who. It's very much like what you all guessed. 3 to 4 days of rehearsal followed by a "live" taping.

The "Christmas Carol" special is one of my absolute favorites.
    I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Stormageddon.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    edited May 2013
    oh good... Dr. Who talk.....

Ah, DC Comics: serving up reheated free comics from a bygone era and canceling your favorite animated adaptations. In regard to Beware the Batman, yes, TV schedules have evolved to where quality shows debut throughout the year. However this evolution has not hit animation. Animation geared towards kids still follows the fall-spring schedule. What's more troubling are the delays since this series went into production in 2011. That is hardly ever an indication that the final product will be solid.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    rebis said:

Pants. Once you've caught up on your Doctor viewing, I would suggest you check out the Radio Free Skaro podcast

@Pants : I second that - go listen to http://www.radiofreeskaro.com/
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    and one of the reasons that we have the Doctor's regenerations and a show that has lasted 50 years is that the First Doctor, William Hartnell had increasing difficulties coping with learning his lines and recording live. He health was failing and the number of "Billy-Fluffs" increased as he went along. But the show was popular they had to come up with some way of having a new actor take over.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Caliban said:

and one of the reasons that we have the Doctor's regenerations and a show that has lasted 50 years is that the First Doctor, William Hartnell had increasing difficulties coping with learning his lines and recording live. He health was failing and the number of "Billy-Fluffs" increased as he went along. But the show was popular they had to come up with some way of having a new actor take over.

Thanks for the 411 my friend
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I had a great time at FCBD this year. My daughter picked up a bunch of books. She won't put that DC Nation book down. My shop always runs a bunch of sales and specials. He had a grill going on outside. The shop was packed. Nice long line.

One of the deals wasbuy 2 trades and get 1 free sale so I got Saga, Revival, and Punk Rock Jesus. I also picked up Batman Little Gotham. The art is so nice.
  • Options
    a 2000AD video from FCBD at London's Forbidden Planet with Dan Abnett, Al Ewing, Ben Willsher, and a rare appearance from art droid legend Ron Smith.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2qgA6QYOiA

also makes me quite nostalgic for the first FP in Denmark street
  • Options
    JamieD said:

Caliban said:

Thanks for the 411 my friend
    Always a pleasure, @JamieD
  • Options
    CourtOfOwlsCourtOfOwls Posts: 41
    anyone else notice something about @Pants now that he is all about Dr. Who now? Whenever he is talking with the geeks about the show, he is very careful to blurt out, "Now, be careful!" "No spoilers!" etc. He doesn't want anything ruined for himself. Yet, now that he is getting caught up, on episodes like this CGS episode, he starts dropping spoilers like he is a Dr. Who old-timer, & doesn't seem to care that he might be ruining someone ELSE's 1st time Dr. Who experience! How quickly they forget when THEY were new-bees!! Just busting your balls, @Pants! I can, because I love you! I do have to say - in all honesty - that it is quite charming to listen to you when you suddenly get all excited about stuff you previously rejected, ie: Marvel comics, Dr. Who. If I met you in person, I would have to pinch your little cheek & tell you how cute you are! :D
  • Options
    turnerfan77turnerfan77 Posts: 60
    I want to jump on the Dr. Who wagon where should I start?
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

I'm of the opinion start with the new stuff, Doctor #9 on and then cherry pick the old stuff. So much of the classic Who could scare people off but if you get a really good one, Earthshock, Pyramid of Mars, Inferno, you can see the magic.
  • Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156
    I agree, start with the new stuff in order and then just explore the old stuff. As long as you know this is the Doctor, he has companions and flies around in the Tardis you are good to go. I think the new shows do an excellent job of explaining themselves.
  • Options
    gothamkidgothamkid Posts: 42

I agree, start with the new stuff in order and then just explore the old stuff. As long as you know this is the Doctor, he has companions and flies around in the Tardis you are good to go. I think the new shows do an excellent job of explaining themselves.

I agree with Shane. I loooove the old stuff, but the one thing, if nothing else, that I have to give Russel T. Davies credit for is that first season from 2005 is a primer for how to reintroduce and introduce a T.V. Series. That season perfectly encapsulates everything geat about Dr. Who, everything you need to know about Dr. Who and does it such a way that you digest one element before the next is given to you.

• Options
    gothamkidgothamkid Posts: 42

rebis said:

Pants. Once you've caught up on your Doctor viewing, I would suggest you check out the Radio Free Skaro podcast

In addition to the podcast, the episode mentioned the missing episodes and amie D. mentioned wanting to get into the DVD's.

First, one area where Dr. Who is extremely fortunate is that no episode is completely gone. It was part of the BBC's policy to make a separate audio recording of the tapings and none of those have been trashed, so all of the missing episodes can be gotten as audio recordings. In addition, there was always a photographer on set/location so several still photographs exist. Fans have combined the audio recordings with the stills to make telesnap archives and you can get most of the missing episodes as bootlegs that way, if you have to have a visual. There are even legitimate ones. The Beginnings box set restores Marco Polo this way and The Aztecs Special edition does the same for the story Galaxy Four. Finally, the BBC have started hiring animators to animate the missing episodes and released the complete stories with the missing components animated. They've yet to tackle a story with more than two parts missing, but you can get, or will soon be able to get, The Tenth Planet (1st regeneration), The Reign of Terror, The Ice Warrior (1st Ice Warrior)The Invasion (Cybermen; 1st UNIT story), and The Wheel in Space (Cybermen; 1st Zoe story).

I also cannot plug the DVDs enough. The best DVDs made and chock full of history if you're interested in that aspect of the show. Almost every DVD has at least a 'Making of..' of the story, but they've also done documentaries on"
    - The critical reception of each Doctor's era
    - All of the book lines
    -Important figures in Who (The actors who played the Doctor and companions obviously, but also influential writers, script editors, and producers like Verity Lambert, Terrance Dicks, Phillip Hinchcliffe, Barry Letts, Robert Holmes, Malcolm Hulke, etc.)
    - The comics by Doctor
    - How the themes related to historical events are popular memes of the time

The first 20 or so releases in the line were very light on extras, but all of them have been re-released in the Revisitation line as a Special Edition with the same extras as the typical disc now does.

My last plug (Who gets me excited; if you ever do a call-in show or a Spotlight I am so there). www.doctorwhonews.net is the best website for all news related to Doctor Who. It is typically a very spoiler-free friendly site and this year they are running a special series of articles on the creation of the show, starting from when the BBC first said 'Hmm, what is this Sci-Fi stuff and how can we make it work for us', to the recruiting of Sydney Newman as head of Drama, how he reorganized the Drama department, and all of the events and building blocks that led to the creation of Doctor Who. I don't know how many parts it will run in total, but they are up to number 10 when the pitch for the show is being developed.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    gothamkid said:

rebis said:

In addition to the podcast, the episode mentioned the missing episodes and amie D. mentioned wanting to get into the DVD's.

First, one area where Dr. Who is extremely fortunate is that no episode is completely gone. It was part of the BBC's policy to make a separate audio recording of the tapings and none of those have been trashed, so all of the missing episodes can be gotten as audio recordings. In addition, there was always a photographer on set/location so several still photographs exist. Fans have combined the audio recordings with the stills to make telesnap archives and you can get most of the missing episodes as bootlegs that way, if you have to have a visual. There are even legitimate ones. The Beginnings box set restores Marco Polo this way and The Aztecs Special edition does the same for the story Galaxy Four. Finally, the BBC have started hiring animators to animate the missing episodes and released the complete stories with the missing components animated. They've yet to tackle a story with more than two parts missing, but you can get, or will soon be able to get, The Tenth Planet (1st regeneration), The Reign of Terror, The Ice Warrior (1st Ice Warrior)The Invasion (Cybermen; 1st UNIT story), and The Wheel in Space (Cybermen; 1st Zoe story).

I also cannot plug the DVDs enough. The best DVDs made and chock full of history if you're interested in that aspect of the show. Almost every DVD has at least a 'Making of..' of the story, but they've also done documentaries on"
    - All of the book lines
    -Important figures in Who (The actors who played the Doctor and companions obviously, but also influential writers, script editors, and producers like Verity Lambert, Terrance Dicks, Phillip Hinchcliffe, Barry Letts, Robert Holmes, Malcolm Hulke, etc.)
    - The comics by Doctor

The first 20 or so releases in the line were very light on extras, but all of them have been re-released in the Revisitation line as a Special Edition with the same extras as the typical disc now does.

My last plug (Who gets me excited; if you ever do a call-in show or a Spotlight I am so there). www.doctorwhonews.net is the best website for all news related to Doctor Who. It is typically a very spoiler-free friendly site and this year they are running a special series of articles on the creation of the show, starting from when the BBC first said 'Hmm, what is this Sci-Fi stuff and how can we make it work for us', to the recruiting of Sydney Newman as head of Drama, how he reorganized the Drama department, and all of the events and building blocks that led to the creation of Doctor Who. I don't know how many parts it will run in total, but they are up to number 10 when the pitch for the show is being developed.
    Very interesting, I had never heard about the audio files but that would be cool to listen to if you decide to take the plunge and experience them all.
  • Options
    turnerfan77turnerfan77 Posts: 60
    shroud68 said:

I'm of the opinion start with the new stuff, Doctor #9 on and then cherry pick the old stuff. So much of the classic Who could scare people off but if you get a really good one, Earthshock, Pyramid of Mars, Inferno, you can see the magic.
    Thank you.

• Options
    I've seen a few sites focusing on Crisis stating that G.I. Combat 274, 275, and 276 feature the Monitor with 274 being the first time his face was shown.
  • Options
    VIPBrilloVIPBrillo Posts: 4
    @Pants Just heard you going on about another love session with Dr. Who and I'm surprised no one has pointed out to you yet all the old episodes from the 60s, 70s, early 80's, specials, and the entire new series from Eccleston to Smith in HD on Amazon prime as well as all the episodes of the Torchwood spin-off series available as free to watch if your an Amazon Prime member.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    JamieD said:

gothamkid said:

rebis said:

- All of the book lines
    - The comics by Doctor

Very interesting, I had never heard about the audio files but that would be cool to listen to if you decide to take the plunge and experience them all.
    Pimp. I've been working my way through Who. Daily Motion has been a great resource. Many of the episodes from the first 3 seasons are presented as audio tracks with stills to help the viewer know what's going on.