Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ender's Game Movie

Can't believe its really gonna happen.... but apparently it is. I'm more or less assuming it will be awful. Harrison Ford sounds like he's dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE

youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I never read the book but I had a co-worker who was obsessed with the series. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Not going to see it unless Ender is allowed to marry Rackham
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I never read the book but I had a co-worker who was obsessed with the series. I'm looking forward to it.

The book is quite good. Very enjoyable, and one that you would breeze through... not a big time investment. There is really no way the movie will live up to it ( I am basing this on they decade or so it spent in development hell), and apparently has a totally different ending.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I'm not entirely sure I'll be seeing it yet, for most of the same reasons I'm not buying his Superman stories. I remember the books being very good, but I read those before knowing anything about the writer and his positions. I have to give this one a good deal of thought before committing to anything.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I was pertty excited about finally seeing this movie (it was in development hell for a decade or better) because i love the novel. I was recently bummed to discover this is being directed by Gavin Hood. He is the director that cocked-up X-Men Origins: Wolverine. My expectations have suddenly plumetted.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    random73 said:

I was pertty excited about finally seeing this movie (it was in development hell for a decade or better) because i love the novel. I was recently bummed to discover this is being directed by Gavin Hood. He is the director that cocked-up X-Men Origins: Wolverine. My expectations have suddenly plumetted.

Do you feel Hood's directing was the "downfall" of the film?
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

random73 said:

Kinda. I tend to give actors in bad films more leeway than I do directors of bad films. Fundamentally, I think, the director bears the responsibility for everything that hits the screen.
  • Options
    random73 said:

tazmaniak said:

random73 said:

Kinda. I tend to give actors in bad films more leeway than I do directors of bad films. Fundamentally, I think, the director bears the responsibility for everything that hits the screen.
    Do you hold him responsible for the script, as well?
  • Options
    David Benioff and Skip Woods have the writing credits for the movie. David has done some Game of Thrones stuff recently that is to his credit but is also responsible for Troy which I think was kind of a stinker. Skip Woods strikes me kind of as unabashed hack. He wrote A-Team, Hitman, Swordfish & A Good Day to Die Hard. Meh, he does movies where shit gets blown up.

The writing is absolutely a problem for Wolverine but the thing that I noticed the most, and this may not be the thing that you noticed the most, was how choppy the movie felt. It felt jerky and disconnected to me and I think thats a direction issue. I hold the director responsible for the interpretation of the script that we see hit the screen.

*shrugs* you don't have to agree with me. you can blame the writers if you want I won't tell you you're wrong. Deadpool was terrible, the Gambit bit was terrible, the Blob bit was ridiculous, Liv Schriber was terribly mis-cast, I could go on...

My only point was my enthusiasm for the Ender's movie diminished when i saw Hood attached to it. hopefully I'll be wrong and the movie will be great but, i'm discouraged. Uncle Orson talking all crazy hasn't helped any either. I'd really like to see him recant some of the stupid stuff he has said but it seems unlikely.
  • Options
    I'm not disagreeing with you about the quality of he film, I was just wondering about your views on Hood. And if you felt the script (which had 5 writers), known studio interference or the fact that it's widely believed Hood was shut out of production for a time, played a large part in the disjointed final product.

I truly believe Hood is a good filmmaker. I don't think one would be nominated for and win as many awards as he has were they not talented. I think he wasn't ready for a big film like Origins, nor was he in a position where he wouldn't be "pushed around" by Tom Rothman. Hopefully he's ready for this one.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

I'm not disagreeing with you about the quality of he film, I was just wondering about your views on Hood. And if you felt the script (which had 5 writers), known studio interference or the fact that it's widely believed Hood was shut out of production for a time, played a large part in the disjointed final product.

I truly believe Hood is a good filmmaker. I don't think one would be nominated for and win as many awards as he has were they not talented. I think he wasn't ready for a big film like Origins, nor was he in a position where he wouldn't be "pushed around" by Tom Rothman. Hopefully he's ready for this one.

Gotcha. I didn't know some of that stuff. It does look like Wolverine had the same sort of studio interference that Spiderman 3 suffered from thats for sure. Cool. I hope he does well.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    tazmaniak said:

To add to that, there are very, very few directors (and I can't imagine Hood is one) who have the clout to negotiate having final cut on a film. When making a movie with someone else's money the buck usually stops at the producers, not at the director. So a director can themselves end up being very disappointed with what ends up hitting the screen.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    oh! That would be horrible. I would hate to have my name connected to somethign even I didn't like. okay, well, we'll give the guy a shot. This doesn't mean i have to let Mark Stephen Johnson off the hook for Daredevil, Electra and Ghostrider do I? Cuz really like blaming that dude.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    random73 said:

oh! That would be horrible. I would hate to have my name connected to somethign even I didn't like. okay, well, we'll give the guy a shot. This doesn't mean i have to let Mark Stephen Johnson off the hook for Daredevil, Electra and Ghostrider do I? Cuz really like blaming that dude.

You can't for Elektra...Rob Bowman directed that one