Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Star Trek Into Darkness (Spoilers)

I enjoyed it...although I wouldn't consider it memorable. I'll probably still buy the Blu-Ray because, well it's Star Trek and I love Star Trek even if it's Crap on a Cracker*. I found it very predictable and you'll probably guess how the evil plan will play out from early on. While Kirk's death scene was nicely done, the miracle cure was obvious from the moment he entered the radiation room. I did like the crash into San Francisco and the Enterprise hiding underwater was good too. A bit of Raiders of the Lost Ark in the opening scene (running from the natives) I was waiting for Kirk to find a snake in the shuttlecraft.

Benedict Cumberbatch did a nice job with the Harrison/Khan role although there was too much of the evil glare used. Peter Weller, I liked, and his justification for his plan reminded me a lot of Jack Nicholson's 'You can't handle the truth' scene. Nice to see Original Spock again. I didn't hang around to see if there was a post-credits scene, I didn't think there would a reason for one.

Luckily I read today's newspaper interview with Cumberbatch after I saw the film otherwise I would have been spoiled on the Khan thing (Daily Mirror for those in the UK). Was it generally acknowledged that he was playing Khan?

* ©Shane.

Comments

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    So... Pretty much everything people thought for months, but was flatly denied, ended up being true. Interesting.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    It's Star Trek with less Star Trek and more action. Goes along nice with a bucket of popcorn.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Planeis said:

So... Pretty much everything people thought for months, but was flatly denied, ended up being true. Interesting.

It's strange, the newspaper casually mentions his role as Khan in the interview on Thursday, but the actual review of the film today (Friday) keeps it quiet.
  • Options
    whelp... i just completely spoiled the movie reading the wikipedia entry. It sounds really stupid, but I'm part of the problem I guess because I'll go see it anyway.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I won't. I was hoping the point of the new Trek universe was to tell new stories with beloved characters. Not rework old stories to fit this universe. That isn't interesting to me.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I won't. I was hoping the point of the new Trek universe was to tell new stories with beloved characters. Not rework old stories to fit this universe. That isn't interesting to me.

You're right. Maybe I won't. Plenty of stuff I want to see right now. I was really kinda looking forward to the Enterprise slamming into the ocean, at least I felt like that would be something interesting.......

• Options
    I understand. That's the thing, isn't it. It's still Trek and you know it will be full of increadable visuals. I'll wait until the DVD/Blueray is heavily discounted and pick up a copy just for that.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I loved it!
    Yes, there were certain aspects that were predictable... heck, I predicted one - http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/1400/movie-news-star-trek-into-darkness/p1
    Kirk dying, with Spock on the outside of the glass.
    But it was really fun, and has me excited for the 5 year mission movies. They could vary a lot if Kirk chooses a different area of space to discover.
    I'm looking forward to seeing it again this weekend.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    What did everyone think of the Klingons? Their look seem to have been modeled on Christopher Plummers General Chang character in Star Trek 6.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited May 2013
    I saw tonight's IMAX 3D showing. I'm usually not a fan of IMAX 3D, but I thought this film was exceptionally well-suited for the format. This is one of the few times I can recommend shelling out a little extra for the IMAX 3D. This was a good pre-summer popcorn flick and an overall just plain fun movie going experience.

I had really wanted Benedict to be Gary Mitchell, but as much as I had tried to avoid spoilers, I was fairly certain going into tonight's film that he would be Khan.

Am I mistaken, or did I see an android crew member on the Enterprise?

The poster they gave out at tonight's show was actually fairly decent.
    It's printed on heavy stock, ad-free, and features a white glow-in-the-dark enterprise atop a white star. In ambient light the Enterprise appears on one side and in darkness the glow-in-the-dark image becomes discernible giving it the illusion that it has migrated across the poster.
  • Options

I loved it!
    Yes, there were certain aspects that were predictable... heck, I predicted one - http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/1400/movie-news-star-trek-into-darkness/p1
    Kirk dying, with Spock on the outside of the glass.
    But it was really fun, and has me excited for the 5 year mission movies. They could vary a lot if Kirk chooses a different area of space to discover.
    I'm looking forward to seeing it again this weekend.

Too bad there won't be any five year mission movies. They'll advance the story 5 years for the next one, and then after that Paramount will have to scamble for a new cast as one by one they all say "meh" to signing up for more.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    One little nitpick...
    Why is it that Uhura can speak Klingon so well in this timeline?
    She was even singled out for being very adept at it.

Did J.J. never watch Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avH2K1iR8Oo
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    rebis said:

I enjoyed the heck out of it while watching it, but after digesting it, I am very disappointed.

Truly an uninspired script.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I really liked the hats...
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

One little nitpick...
    Why is it that Uhura can speak Klingon so well in this timeline?
    She was even singled out for being very adept at it.

Did J.J. never watch Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avH2K1iR8Oo

Which is this timeline? Star Trek Into Darkness?

There are many things that are different. Butterfly effect.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I haven't seen it yet, but I heard people are complaining about the Alice Eve bra/panties scene. WHAT THE HELL?!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I haven't seen it yet, but I heard people are complaining about the Alice Eve bra/panties scene. WHAT THE HELL?!

M

I was just going to mention this. Feels like the the skivvies controversy is everywhere. My opinion is that certain feminists are jealous at how good she looks in her undies.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Matt said:

M

I was just going to mention this. Feels like the the skivvies controversy is everywhere. My opinion is that certain feminists are jealous at how good she looks in her undies.
    Its not feminists being crazy. Its just people who kinda feel like it was so super blatantly just "Lets get Alice in hardly any clothes." For instance, if it had been some kind of romance scene, I feel there would be much less talk about it, because it would fit. Or, you know that thing movies do where maybe a man and woman have to change clothes in the same room and the guy looks away, and the camera does that kinda subtle glance at the woman and then cuts away? I feel like people might have accepted that more, as opposed to the "HERE I AM" way that this was done.

Plus, it didn't help that the writer admitted it was ridiculous. Just fed the flames.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

rebis said:

Matt said:

M

Its not feminists being crazy. Its just people who kinda feel like it was so super blatantly just "Lets get Alice in hardly any clothes." For instance, if it had been some kind of romance scene, I feel there would be much less talk about it, because it would fit. Or, you know that thing movies do where maybe a man and woman have to change clothes in the same room and the guy looks away, and the camera does that kinda subtle glance at the woman and then cuts away? I feel like people might have accepted that more, as opposed to the "HERE I AM" way that this was done.

Plus, it didn't help that the writer admitted it was ridiculous. Just fed the flames.
    So, there are no scenes where womanizer Kirk is almost naked? Wouldn't the Alice Eve scene balance it? People need to calm the fuck down about stupid things!

M
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Matt said:

So, there are no scenes where womanizer Kirk is almost naked? Wouldn't the Alice Eve scene balance it? People need to calm the fuck down about stupid things!

M

Frankly, all such scenes were totally superfluous to the film and did nothing to forward the story in any significant way. If they had never been there, no one would have noticed, as their absence wouldn't hurt the film. They should have been cut for the purpose of tightening the film.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Finally saw it tonight with the wife. I loved it. Better than the last one.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

rebis said:

Matt said:

M

M
    Speaking of needing to calm the fuck down about stupid things.... -___-

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    My biggest problem with it is that I do not think that current, shitty club music will still be played in bars over 200 years from now.

And if that is the biggest problem, they done did good.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

rebis said:

Matt said:

M

I've already written that I'm not going to see the movie until it's available at a ridiculous discount, so I'm going to take you at your word. However, none if it changes that fact that she looks amazing in her undies.
  • Options
    HellsfireHellsfire Posts: 89
    This movie was very disappointing. It was way worse than the first one. I think the first major problem was that they didn't do their own thing. In 2009, they blew up Vulcan. That was pretty ballsy. Here, they copy Wrath of Khan and a two-parter DS9 episode. They didn't try anything new.

Another problem with the movie that probably stems from 2009 is that they're all caricatures. They're one dimensional and flat. There's no depth to them whatsoever. While TOS was about the trinity of Bones, Spock and Kirk, at least the movies gave the other characters a chance to shine and build on them.

Lastly, nothing made any sense and there wasn't really a plot. I think that's more of a symptom than a cause though.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

rebis said:

Matt said:

M

M
    Speaking of needing to calm the fuck down about stupid things.... -___-

No worries, I'm as calm as Banner BEFORE the radiation exposure. I'm not bent out of shape about it. I'm expressing my curiosity of the issue. Though I did add my thoughts on the issue at hand.

Pants & shirt are still in wearable condition.

M
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Saw it last night. Cant say it sucked or that I didnt enjoy it Nec. but i cant say I was "sucked in", impressed or really liked it either. not a great followup to such a great first outing. Good moments but not a great whole.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Saw it yesterday with my kids... loved it. Very good acting, excellent sfx, plenty of action, and just enough humor. That's what I'm looking for in a summer movie.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited May 2013
    Just got back from seeing it - I liked it quite a bit! I thought it was defintiely bettter than the 1st (which I rewatched on Friday night). More character focus and better
    action. Plus the TOS references were great. They're doing a great job of establishing the relatioships between the big 7 - and I loved the TWOK twist, having Kirk on the other side of the glass (and the resurrected Tribble clearly gave us all we needed to know as to how Kirk was coming back). I was unspoiled for the Cumberbatch reveal - and as soon as I saw him exhibiting superhuman strength/agility, I was definitely thinking "Khan". Otherwise, Carol Marcus, the Christine Chapel reference ("you don't even know who she is, do you??"), and Kirk getting seom twin tail - enjopyable from top to bottom!

e
    L nny