Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1369 Talkback: Off the Racks - Batman:Li'l Gotham #1,Thanos Rising #1,Jupiter's Legacy #1

For this month's spoiler-heavy spotlight discussion of recent comics, our selections are the first issue of DC's digital-first Batman: Li'l Gotham; Thanos Rising #1 from Marvel; and Jupiter's Legacy #1 from Mark Millar and Image. (And, lurking amid the reviews, a startling revelation about Shane's taste in movies!) (1:15:39)

Listen here.

Comments

• abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Thanos Rising: Firmly in the Murd camp. Sympathetic villain backstories work for humans like of Magneto and the Batman Rogues but not for "The Mad Titan". Magneto's childhood trauma strengthens the X-men's roots in themes of prejudice and racism. Batman's tragic villains strengthen Bruce's force of will to not fall into madness, but to focus his energy towards good. Thanos is is a derivation of Thanatos, the personification of death and mortality in Greek mythology. The key word there is personification. Death and morality does not need a backstory of this nature.

Li'l Gotham: Firmly in the Shane camp. Usually enjoy these types of offbeat interpretations, but the jokes were flat as was the story

Jupiter's Legacy: Back in the Murd Camp. It wasn't ever going to live up to the Hyperbole of the solicit, but there's enough intriguing elements and I'm a Frank Quitely fanatic
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Yeah, I'm in agreement on Thanos Rising. Not really what I was expecting and not really very enjoyable. Far too creepy, and nothing like the Thanos we already know. It sure doesn't feel like the Thanos that Starlin created.

• GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I forgot to pick up Jupiter's Legacy.

Batman Lil' Gotham - I'm on the same side of the fence as Jaimie and Pants. I loved the art and the stories were fun. It may be that this book might cater more to younger or new readers that don't know who these characters as much as we all do. I can see where the interpretations and material could fall flat with though. My daughter liked it as well.

Thanos Rising - After reading this, I had wished I didn't. I did not need to know in detail what makes Thanos who he is. However, I read Infinity, then more and more snippets started coming out on Infinity and so when issue two came out, I read both issues back to back and I was fine. I liked it. Seeing that last page in #2 made Thanos much more vile to me. I dofear Jamie's assumption on the who the girl is may be correct, but that maybe she is actually a fabrication of Thanos himself.
  • turnerfan77turnerfan77 Posts: 60
    I haven't read anything with Thanos in years. So I am really enjoying Thanos Rising.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Any Thanos story written by Starlin is a good read. Any Thanos story not written by Starlin is sailing into troubled waters.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I haven't read a lot of them, but the DC digital first books I have seen have been pretty good, and an absolute godsend for folks who are DC fans but don't care for where the New 52 has been headed. What I read of Ame-Comi Girls (those first Wonder Woman and Batgirl/Robin stories) was a lot of fun, and Legends of the Dark Knight has had a hell of a line-up telling (mostly) great Batman stories that are continuity-free but still read like, you know, Batman stories. Too many of the writers involved use the Joker, but that's really my only complaint there (though I get the impulse... if you're only gonna write one story, you wanna use what you think are the best toys).

As a result, I'm really looking forward to Adventures of Superman (which will be to Kal-El as LotDK is to Batman) and, of course, Batman '66. And I've heard enough good things about what Bryan Q. Miller is doing on Smallville Season 11 that I want to finally give that a shot, too, despite never having been a big fan of the show. I figure I liked his Batgirl run well-enough that I can get over any prejudices I may have and check it out.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Also? Not the sort of show on which I ever would've expected to hear a Tasha Tudor reference. I oughtta tell my mom about that, she loves Tasha Tudor's books and gardens.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanos Rising: Fairly enjoyable even if it wasn't Starlin. I haven't read issue 2 yet (probably won't, since I didn't order it) but I probably won't need to read it to enjoy Infinity or even whatever movie Thanos appears in. BORROW!
    Batman 'Lil Gotham: also fairly enjoyable, but I didn't order more. I did like the artwork and I did laugh outloud at some of the gags. But...it's another BORROW!
    Jupiter's Legacy: I was a bit let down by the 1st issue but I think it could get better! And since I ordered it! BUY!