Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1372 Talback: Denver Comic Con Preview

In two weeks, Jamie, Murd, and Pants will ascend to 'Podcast Peak' at the 2nd Annual Denver Comic Con. But first, our merry mountaineers (and Shane) establish base camp with convention organizers and impresarios Bruce MacIntosh, and 'Charlito' LaGreca, as they map out the mother lode of panels, guests, events, and other goodies they've got in store for those bold enough to make the climb! Even if you're not planning to attend Denver Con, give this episode a listen and learn how altitudinously awesome an ambitiously planned comic convention can be! (1:20:17)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    So, will the gathering at Mile High Comics be the official CGS Con Meetup?

I also want to invite any attendees to get some free grub Saturday night at The Soup Kitchen.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I’m really looking forward to this, and I’ll second Brian’s thanks to Bruce and company for going out of their way and taking care of us. It’s greatly appreciated.

And @rebis, free grub is my favorite kind of food, so I may take you up on the kind offer.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    My son and I had so much fun last year and he's so excited to go. There is so much for the kids to do and see. I'll see you all there!
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    fredzilla said:

My son and I had so much fun last year and he's so excited to go. There is so much for the kids to do and see. I'll see you all there!

Look forward to seeing you there
  • Options
    rebis said:

I also want to invite any attendees to get some free grub Saturday night at The Soup Kitchen.

Free Grub? you have me intrigued, explain please
  • Options
    JamieD said:

rebis said:

I run the Soup Kitchen at Thrive Church in Federal Heights. Every Saturday evening from 5 to 7, we serve a hot meal to the community. Even though the outreach is called Soup Kitchen, we're very liberal about the definition of Soup. The ladies cooking tonight are serving Pinto Beans, with Pork Green Chili and Fideo on the side. Last week I made a version of Potato Ragu. We've also done versions of Shepard's Pie and various pasta dishes. Basically, if it can be served in a bowl and it's a hot meal, we'll do it.
    We're a bit north of the Convention Center (92nd. Ave just a couple of blocks east of Federal Blvd), but it's an easy drive. It's fairly close to where Charlito grew up. He should have a general knowledge of the area.
  • Options
    @rebis You're awesome, not because you would do that for the Geeks, but because you do that in general. Just sayin...
  • Options
    I appreciate the kind words, but I'm the one getting blessed by all of this.
  • Options
    Back to the original question.

Should we make the Pre-con event at MHC the official CGS get together? Should there be a Mile High Feast of the Pants?
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I was listening to this episode today in the middle of reports of how unorganized Motor City Con was this weekend. The fact these guys seem organized and focused on the con-goer is great to hear. I wish them the best.
  • Options
    rebis said:

JamieD said:

rebis said:

I run the Soup Kitchen at Thrive Church in Federal Heights. Every Saturday evening from 5 to 7, we serve a hot meal to the community. Even though the outreach is called Soup Kitchen, we're very liberal about the definition of Soup. The ladies cooking tonight are serving Pinto Beans, with Pork Green Chili and Fideo on the side. Last week I made a version of Potato Ragu. We've also done versions of Shepard's Pie and various pasta dishes. Basically, if it can be served in a bowl and it's a hot meal, we'll do it.
    We're a bit north of the Convention Center (92nd. Ave just a couple of blocks east of Federal Blvd), but it's an easy drive. It's fairly close to where Charlito grew up. He should have a general knowledge of the area.
    Very nice and I want to echo the other sentiments on the fact you do this and how great it is, I cannot commit yet but will keep this in mind, I do apprecitate the offer and will gladly make a dontation if we do come
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    STAN LEE CANCELS HIS DENVER COMIC CON APPEARANCE EIGHT DAYS BEFORE EVENT.

Ouch. I can't say that this was unexpected. However, I just expected it would be because of his health and not because he's going to miss out on a cameo appearance. Jeez...

Fans who bought tickets to meet Stan will be appropriately refunded.

Update: William Shatner has been confirmed to take the place of Stan Lee at Denver Comic Con 2013.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Looks like William Shatner is stepping in as the new guest of honor.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

STAN LEE CANCELS HIS DENVER COMIC CON APPEARANCE EIGHT DAYS BEFORE EVENT.

Ouch. I can't say that this was unexpected. However, I just expected it would be because of his health and not because he's going to miss out on a cameo appearance. Jeez...

Fans who bought tickets to meet Stan will be appropriately refunded.

Update: William Shatner has been confirmed to take the place of Stan Lee at Denver Comic Con 2013.

Or a double booking at the Wizard World Philly Con, not cool Stan
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I wish I could attend either of these. All in all this was an informative episode guys.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    JamieD said:

Or a double booking at the Wizard World Philly Con, not cool Stan

QUE!?! He was booked a year ago for DCC '13! I wish him all the best, but still jerky thing to do. I probably had no chance of meeting him anyway (I wasn't going to pay $150+ for a photo op/autograph), but there was still a chance of running into him in an elevator... ;)
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    Stan Lee was booked for Friday and Saturday at Wizard World Philly and then Sunday in Denver - just like Shatner is now.
  • Options
    The trials and tribulations of the Comicbook Convention circuit.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I just agreed to moderate the Denny O'Neil spotlight panel, come out and see me and one of my all time favorite writers Friday at 5. Very excited about this!
  • Options
    Good for you, Pimp!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Besides being at Booth 1135 all weekend, I’ll be part of four panels. I’m sitting on the “How to Work in the Comic Biz — Even if You Don’t Draw or Write Comics” (whew! that’s a mouthful) panel at 8 pm Friday night, and on Saturday I’m moderating the “George Pérez Spotlight” panel at 11 am, the “Rise of Creator-Owned Comics” panel at 12 pm, and the “TwoMorrows Publishing Spotlight” panel at 2 pm.
  • Options
    My turn!

It looks like I'll moderate the recently added Spotlight on Gerry Conway panel Saturday at 11am.
  • Options
    Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
    And I just threw my horseshoe into the ring to moderate a panel of "My Little Pony" comics creators, Sunday afternoon at 3:00. Should be fun!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And there's also a Podcast Peak Assemble panel Sunday at 2pm featuring CGS and the Reel Nerds Podcast.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Saturday

This line went on for another 1/4 mile to the entrance of the convention center. People were upset (*raises hand*) because the line wasn't moving. After about 1/2 hour, the line began really moving and those that pre-ordered tix or already had their pass from Friday were able to get right in.

There's several Lego groups up and down the Front Range (Wyoming, Ft. Collins, Denver, Colo. Springs) and this group created a DC/Marvel world. The left blur is an electric Lego train they had raised above the street. There was a bunch more, but I only had time to get one shot. They also have a Lego mosaic of Action Comics #1! I'll try to get a photo of that.

Doug TenNapel Sketchbook Archives. He created Earthworm Jim, the Neverhood, the covers for Five Iron Frenzy's albums, and a bunch of comics. This thing set me back a note, but it was the best thing I bought (IMHO). Doug's a great family man who is working hard creating his new animated clay game Armikrog. There's a Kickstarter for it.

I had my son start a con sketchbook last year. Most of the artists will sketch something in B&W for kids. One day he'll look back on it and think it's a cool thing to have. Anyway, this is a sketch of Agent P from Greg Gruler, the creator of Phineas & Ferb. I'm hoping we can swing by and get an autograph of Dee Bradley Baker, the voice of Perry the Platypus (among a whole slew of others!)

This is a print of the Fellowship of the Ring as kitties by Katie Cook (as well as a Admiral Ackbar and Chewbacca sketch card--I got two last year and so as long as she's at the DCC, I will be getting two sketch cards a visit from her as a tradition). When we happened upon Katie's table, I spied the infamous Murdoughnian-mutton-chops of one @Adam_Murdough. They were conspiring about their Sunday panel on My Little Pony. This was for my 2 year-old daughter.

Here's my son and I with some cosplaying Imperial nefarious people. My son is so shy around cosplayers and doesn't want to get pictures unless I'm in them. Later he just pours over the photo in admiration.

I grabbed a bunch of other things: got my copy of Darth Vader and Son signed with a little sketch from Jeffrey Brown, and bought a copy of Vader's Little Princess and got the same thing. I got to stop and talk to the Geeks, who were very personable and accommodating to my awkward conversation skills. I feel like I know them so well, but we've never met until today. Weird feeling... Briefly spoke to Jamal Igle and Jeremy Whitley (both of whom were eating lunch)--really kind and genuinely approachable. Talked some with Steven Seagle (It's A Bird/Man of Action) and Joe Kelly (Man of Action). I found out from Joe that his old series M. Rex, canceled after issue 2, was turned into Generator Rex, the cartoon (I knew there was a reason I liked it!). And Steampunk, with Chris Bachalo, may be reprinted through Image, and they might just finish the second half of the series at Image. **fingers crossed!!!**

Despite the long line to get in (it's twice the con it was last year!), we had a great time. Saturday sold out at about 1pm. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and attending some panels. Thanks for letting me gush and show off my stuff.

Sorry there isn't a thumbnail for the pictures. Vanilla Forums don't like to link to Instagram. Cheers!
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Saturday

This line went on for another 1/4 mile to the entrance of the convention center. People were upset (*raises hand*) because the line wasn't moving. After about 1/2 hour, the line began really moving and those that pre-ordered tix or already had their pass from Friday were able to get right in.

There's several Lego groups up and down the Front Range (Wyoming, Ft. Collins, Denver, Colo. Springs) and this group created a DC/Marvel world. The left blur is an electric Lego train they had raised above the street. There was a bunch more, but I only had time to get one shot. They also have a Lego mosaic of Action Comics #1! I'll try to get a photo of that.

Doug TenNapel Sketchbook Archives. He created Earthworm Jim, the Neverhood, the covers for Five Iron Frenzy's albums, and a bunch of comics. This thing set me back a note, but it was the best thing I bought (IMHO). Doug's a great family man who is working hard creating his new animated clay game Armikrog. There's a Kickstarter for it.

I had my son start a con sketchbook last year. Most of the artists will sketch something in B&W for kids. One day he'll look back on it and think it's a cool thing to have. Anyway, this is a sketch of Agent P from Greg Gruler, the creator of Phineas & Ferb. I'm hoping we can swing by and get an autograph of Dee Bradley Baker, the voice of Perry the Platypus (among a whole slew of others!)

This is a print of the Fellowship of the Ring as kitties by Katie Cook (as well as a Admiral Ackbar and Chewbacca sketch card--I got two last year and so as long as she's at the DCC, I will be getting two sketch cards a visit from her as a tradition). When we happened upon Katie's table, I spied the infamous Murdoughnian-mutton-chops of one @Adam_Murdough. They were conspiring about their Sunday panel on My Little Pony. This was for my 2 year-old daughter.

Here's my son and I with some cosplaying Imperial nefarious people. My son is so shy around cosplayers and doesn't want to get pictures unless I'm in them. Later he just pours over the photo in admiration.

I grabbed a bunch of other things: got my copy of Darth Vader and Son signed with a little sketch from Jeffrey Brown, and bought a copy of Vader's Little Princess and got the same thing. I got to stop and talk to the Geeks, who were very personable and accommodating to my awkward conversation skills. I feel like I know them so well, but we've never met until today. Weird feeling... Briefly spoke to Jamal Igle and Jeremy Whitley (both of whom were eating lunch)--really kind and genuinely approachable. Talked some with Steven Seagle (It's A Bird/Man of Action) and Joe Kelly (Man of Action). I found out from Joe that his old series M. Rex, canceled after issue 2, was turned into Generator Rex, the cartoon (I knew there was a reason I liked it!). And Steampunk, with Chris Bachalo, may be reprinted through Image, and they might just finish the second half of the series at Image. **fingers crossed!!!**

Despite the long line to get in (it's twice the con it was last year!), we had a great time. Saturday sold out at about 1pm. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and attending some panels. Thanks for letting me gush and show off my stuff.

Sorry there isn't a thumbnail for the pictures. Vanilla Forums don't like to link to Instagram. Cheers!
    Very nice to meet you sir and you were fine belive me.
  • Options

The Shiznit Pimp speaks the truth, Fred! :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I forgot to mention that when I spoke to Greg Guler (Phineas & Ferb creator), he mentioned how excited he was for what was coming up with P&F. Seeing as the show is owned by Disney and since the mouse house now owns certain superhero characters, enter "Phineas & Ferb Mission Marvel."

http://youtu.be/lngO85cJdP4

:-O

\:D/