Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1373 Talkback: Comic Talk

In this episode the Geeks open some mail, comment on James Robinson's exit from 'Earth 2' and DC, and discuss in some spoilery detail 'Star Trek: Into Darkness' and the direct-to-DVD 'Superman: Unbound'. Also, a brief elegy for a departed CGS Forum member. (1:12:33)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Jamie, have you seen the most recent version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, with Benedict Cumberbatch in it?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    So, since I won't be able to see Into darkness until this weekend, should I avoid this episode?
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Greg said:

So, since I won't be able to see Into darkness until this weekend, should I avoid this episode?

Well that's difficult to say. Essentially you can listen to all the material that proceeds the Trek talk, however if you happen to be at work or on the treadmill or anywhere where you can't lunge for the pause button be warned. Someone on the show who is so delicate about even the slightest detail of a movie entering his ear and traveling to his cerebral cortex that he hum's the Late Night with David Letterman theme in the theater during the previews, decides to scream a massive spoiler only moments after declaring the Trek talk will begin
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    Pants said:

and discuss in some spoilery detail 'Star Trek: Into Darkness'

• Options
    I made Pants quote himself :))

Thanks, @abuddah, I was just curious to what extent the *some* spoilery detail was.
  • Options
    apparently our definitions of the word 'some' are wide and varied
  • Options
    Stop at the 48 minute mark to be safe, Greg. Literally 9 seconds elapses from a question of 'do we spoil?' to a massive plot twist revealed
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Curious to hear the Geeks opinions on Into Darkness.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I like /Filmcast podcast's spoiler warning audio track... it's a medley of sorts of a lot of different movie surprises, the best one being "What's in the box?"
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    James Robinson's writing of Earth 2 was my last remaining link to DC. I had already dropped Worlds' Finest because Perez left. DC has now officially lost me as a reader. Thanks for the good times, guys! I'm glad I've got a lifetime of back-issues to re-read.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    @JamieD once you get that Kindle up and running, we'll be waiting for you. :D
  • Options
    Had Star Trek spoiled when I got out of work, two guys were talking about when I was signing out. I think we all knew who Cumberbatch was really playing. Still looking forward to seeing it.

• Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Greg said:

Had Star Trek spoiled when I got out of work, two guys were talking about when I was signing out. I think we all knew who Cumberbatch was really playing. Still looking forward to seeing it.

Yeah, we all kinda knew who he was playing, but the only actual confirmation we got was when Entertainment Weekly accidentally spoiled it 3 months ago. At the start of February, their site had an advertisement for next week's issue that featured Chris Pine and Benedict Cumberbatch on the cover. The headline said, "Voyage Into the New Star Trek with Kirk & SPOILER: Khan. They soon realized their mistake and immediately deleted it.

Besides that, it was just speculation until the film was released.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    abuddah said:

Greg said:

Well that's difficult to say. Essentially you can listen to all the material that proceeds the Trek talk, however if you happen to be at work or on the treadmill or anywhere where you can't lunge for the pause button be warned. Someone on the show who is so delicate about even the slightest detail of a movie entering his ear and traveling to his cerebral cortex that he hum's the Late Night with David Letterman theme in the theater during the previews, decides to scream a massive spoiler only moments after declaring the Trek talk will begin
    I take it you weren't a fan of this episode lol.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    abuddah said:

Greg said:

Okay, I have to ask. Pants, do you really hum the Late Night theme in the theater during the trailers? If so, are you loud enough to disturb other movie goers?
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

Jamie, have you seen the most recent version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, with Benedict Cumberbatch in it?

Yes, saw it on the plane back from England, liked it alot
  • Options
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 31
    Just got my prize for Muddle the Murd. Thanks to Adam for the quick shipping. I look forward to challenging you again one day.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    abuddah said:

Greg said:

this
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    You wanna know why they only make Batman, Superman, and Justice League direct-to-video animated movies? They're the only ones that sell to WB's satisfaction. If more people bought the others, we'd still be getting a wider variety of material. Wonder Woman, for instance, was one of my very favorites of the entire series, but I think I read it was the lowest selling one of them all. :-q
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    abuddah said:

Stop at the 48 minute mark to be safe, Greg. Literally 9 seconds elapses from a question of 'do we spoil?' to a massive plot twist revealed

Damn. Glad I was quick on the Stop button, then! That would've made me mad since I still haven't gotten to see it yet.
  • Options
    @Adam_Murdough, like your pull list many things in my life are unofficial and exist mainly in my head ;)

Also I think it was interesting that a man who frequently travels through time was muddled by a question that had come through the time stream from July 2012 :-)
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Interesting episode! I even liked listening to the Star Trek stuff though I haven't seen the movie yet. I've gotta wait until AUGUST! ARrrgh! Oh, I'm still reading a lot more DC than I thought I'd be reading by this point. Still reading Batman, JL, JLA, JLD, Aquaman, Earth 2, World's Finest, and something else....so, I have cut back a bit, but I've yet to full-on switch to any trades or digital. Oh, I just started listening to 1374....Did Pants play the closing background music TWICE?!?! Haha! Hang in there, Pants!
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Just so you guys know, it is indeed Tim Daly's son, Sam Daly, playing the part of Superman in "Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox." You can see them both in the hilarious "Daly Show" on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-iJBZCO9JI&list=SP21EB474DBBD62834&index=1