Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1375 Talkback: Talking Heroes Con with Shelton Drum

Shelton Drum, founding father of Charlotte, NC's Heroes Convention, sits down with us for a laid-back chat about his lengthy experience as a comics collector and retailer; the current back-issue market; and the outlook for this year's double-sized Heroes Con! (55:26)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Best con I have never been to. Looking to change that by 2015.
  • Options
    I would definitely recommend coming to Heroes Con when you can. Good amount of vendors, many major-name creators, a good-sized Artists Alley. It's all centered around comics, but I do warn you. It can be crowded and I would suggest carrying what you feel is necessary to walk around with. A large or bulging bag is not a wise thing to carry around with you unless you like bumping into people with it.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Always look forward to Heroes Con. I'll be in Booth 118/120/122 if anyone wants to stop by and say hello.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030

I would definitely recommend coming to Heroes Con when you can. Good amount of vendors, many major-name creators, a good-sized Artists Alley. It's all centered around comics, but I do warn you. It can be crowded and I would suggest carrying what you feel is necessary to walk around with. A large or bulging bag is not a wise thing to carry around with you unless you like bumping into people with it.

I went to C2E2 in April and it was packed and I loved it! How close is the host hotel to the hall? Could I walk back and forth within a reasonable time?

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I'm glad you mentioned last week's Motor City Con. The admission process was a dreadful mess but the Con itself was a lot of fun, and also the first major con I've been to. I grabbed an old FF issue for $2 and walked over to George Perez' table and had him sign it (it was one of his). On Saturday, the Con admitted 30,000 people, in a building with a capacity for 18,000 (IIRC). It got to the point where searching for back issues was impossible as people were just crawling all over you.
  • Options
    Amazing_BagmanAmazing_Bagman Posts: 23
    edited May 2013

If you stay at the Westin, you're looking at a 5-10 minute walk depending on traffic.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    I won't get there until Friday night I can't wait!!! Great interview guys!
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Still listening as I write this. Your conversation with Sheldon has been interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing the Heroes Con Tapes. One topic that was brought up, was Shelton collecting comics from his birth month and year. I thought that would be a great idea, but I'm wondering: Back then, did they have the 2-3 months pre-dating that they have now? So, would it be that a comic dated January 1956 was actually released in November 1955? Not that it matters that much, but I wonder. Anyway, scheduling prohibits me from ever going to Heroes Con unless I retire with some money, but it sounds GREAT! On to the tapes!