Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

donating old comics?

I am unexpectedly having to move my household in a few days, and I dont have the time to properly research children's hospitals, libraries, or other youth organizations, but has any here donated their comics to Goodwill/Salvation Army/charitable thriftstores? Do you think this is something they can properly deal with? I have many longboxes of mostly 90's books that have zero retail value, so Im not looking to recoup any returns, but I'd rather someone who might be interested get a chance to read them instead of just recycling them. Right now though, its a matter of convenience than conscience. Any insight is most welcome.

Comments

• Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    Goodwill can take the books. They will most likely end up on their auction website.

You need to talk to an accountant, but when I donated several books to the BGSU Pop Culture Library, I think I was able to claim 33% of their value as a charitable donation. But you have to catalog all the books and their value to claim the donation.
  • Options
    My wife is a second/third grade teacher, and she used to LOVE when I would sluff off old comics for her to put in her classroom... So, a teacher in your area might like to have them as a donation. They will get read and read and read, until they are confetti, by kids who are "reluctant readers".

However, you would have to go through and find the ones appropriate for whatever age range you are donating to (the teacher's probably not going to be able to do this)... comics from the 90's are probably not the best fit for what I've described... but you would never find a more appreciative audience.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    We are always looking for comics to add to the archive of 60,0000+ that we already house @ the Browne Popular Culture Library at BGSU in Ohio. If you have a list of your inventory we can perhaps help.
  • Options
    We have a children's hospital here in Burlington, VT and they were super excited when I dropped off three hundred or so books last year.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I donate comics once or twice a year to my local hospital. I go through the ones I don't want and pick out the kid friendly ones. Then take them to the children's ward. Also I drop off some at the local women's shelter. Lots of times the ladies there have their kids with them. And the kids have no toys or anything. The owner has told me many times how much the kids love getting the comics. But again I make sure they are kid friendly. For non-kid friendly stuff I usually just end up giving them to people I know.