Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1377 Talkback: Spotlight on The Avengers in the Bronze Age Part Two

Concluding our two-part focus on the Avengers in the 1970s. From the Serpent Crown to the Korvac Saga, from the resurrection of Wonder Man to the mysterious parentage of Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, from the induction of the Beast to. . . whatever the hell was going on in Avengers #200, we hit all the major beats of Marvel's flagship super-team title in the latter half of the Decade of Decadence. Wild Pig's Chris Eberle helps us bring home the Bronze in this episode. (1:22:02)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    A great episode learning even more about the Avengers. I'll be sure to read the Korvac Saga in the near future.

Matthew
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    A solid edition to these episodes would be to talk about what's going on int he real world during this time period and how that culture is reflected through these superheroes. For instance, this is during the rise of the soap opera I believe and it sounds like there's a lot of soap operatic moments going on in Avengers Mansion. Also, there's a major cosmic influence from the likes on Engleheart and Starlin. Could this be related to Kubrick's 2001 or other Sci-fi of the time. The way these characters endure and evolve throughout the ages is what I find most fascinating about the super hero genre and I think it would enhance these trips down memory lane.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited May 2013
    I have only a couple of offhand notes on this second part of the spotlight.

The first time we knew there were other Infinity Gems (though they weren't called that at the time) was in Marvel Team-Up #55, when Spider-Man and Warlock encountered the Gardener, who was in possession of the Time Gem (though it wasn't called that at the time). This addition to the Marvel Mythos was a collaboration between Bill Mantlo and John Byrne.

George Perez, who was still the new kid at Marvel at the time he first took on the Avengers fulltime, was already showing himself to be a workhorse. When he started on the book, he was also drawing the Inhumans, the Fantastic Four, and the Sons Of The Tiger (for Deadly Hands Of Kung-Fu) each month. And it should be noted that it was Perez who began the now honored tradition of drawing all those portraits of the various Avengers members and teams you see hanging on the walls of the Avengers Mansion, a tradition carried on through to this very day (as noted in a recent issue of Uncanny Avengers where Rogue tries to replace one with a portrait of Professor Charles Xavier.)

Korvac first appeared -- oh, well, you already found that one.

The storyline where Steve Englehart took his sudden leave, featuring the bizarre voodoo resurrection of Wonder Man, would actually continue years later when Englehart returned to write the West Coast Avengers. That is, his version would continue, as he picked up the threads he dropped and worked them into the new incarnation of the team.

The Serpent Crown controlled the Squadron Supreme's earth through its thrall: President Nelson Rockefeller! That storyline would have repercussions that would eventually lead in to the classic Squadron Supreme limited series by Mark Gruenwald and Bob Hall a decade later. It also figured in a subsequent story that crossed over into Super-Villain Team-Up for a few issues.

Red Ronin is misspelled on the cover of #198.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

George Perez, who was still the new kid at Marvel at the time he first took on the Avengers fulltime, was already showing himself to be a workhorse. When he started on the book, he was also drawing the Inhumans, the Fantastic Four, and the Sons Of The Tiger (for Deadly Hands Of Kung-Fu) each month.

Technically, The Inhumans was a bi-monthly, and the “Sons of the Tiger” feature varied in length from 16 to 20 pages. Still that’s three-and-a-half titles or so per month. But that only lasted for about seven or eight months. Then George got a nerve pinch in his drawing arm that was so severe he couldn't feel water hit it in the shower. He had to have electrotherapy and had to cut back his drawing to one monthly book (which was Logan’s Run rather than Avengers or any of the other titles he’d been penciling before the injury).
  • Options

George Perez, who was still the new kid at Marvel at the time he first took on the Avengers fulltime, was already showing himself to be a workhorse. When he started on the book, he was also drawing the Inhumans, the Fantastic Four, and the Sons Of The Tiger (for Deadly Hands Of Kung-Fu) each month.

Technically, The Inhumans was a bi-monthly, and the “Sons of the Tiger” feature varied in length from 16 to 20 pages. Still that’s three-and-a-half titles or so per month. But that only lasted for about seven or eight months. Then George got a nerve pinch in his drawing arm that was so severe he couldn't feel water hit it in the shower. He had to have electrotherapy and had to cut back his drawing to one monthly book (which was Logan’s Run rather than Avengers or any of the other titles he’d been penciling before the injury).
    You're right; I'd forgotten that Inhumans was bi-monthly. I didn't know about the pinched nerve; I'd had a friend who had the same condition in his shoulder, and I remember how painful that was for him. Hasn't Perez been slowed in recent years due to other health issues? Seems I heard something along that line, but can't recall the particulars.

I tend to recall Perez as one of those prodigious pencilers who can turn out a lot of very good work in short term, and it always seems that he's had multiple titles out at the same time -- but now that I think further on it, maybe it was only for that brief period when he was first getting started?
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Really enjoyed the episode until Chris brought up the sour memory that was Avengers 200 :) I remember reading it and I was probably too young to react to the fact Ms. Marvel was raped by her soon to be son but that it was such a bad issue. During this time there were some great anniversary issues from Marvel. Iron Man 100 had him go up against the Mandarin, FF 200 had a great battle between Mr. Fantastic and Dr. Doom and Amazing Spider-man 200 had the Burglar. Those were appearances by significant foes. Avengers 200 did not do that. And the writing by committee explains a lot. Sucks that I had Avengers Annual #10 and I guess I got rid of it. Would be nice to have that first Rogue appearance.

The bronze age is where most of my Avengers collection comes from and I enjoyed the Ultron appearances and Gravitron. And Korvac was indeed a WTF moment. I guess this era where it was discussed that this was the Avengers JLA era makes me feel down how the Avengers are no longer seen as the elite of the elite of the Marvel universe. it seems now that everyone can be an Avenger and there are three or four teams. Even the West Coast Avengers didn't bug me because I thought "Well they can't be everywhere" Now they are. And its not going to change anytime soon.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

You're right; I'd forgotten that Inhumans was bi-monthly. I didn't know about the pinched nerve; I'd had a friend who had the same condition in his shoulder, and I remember how painful that was for him. Hasn't Perez been slowed in recent years due to other health issues? Seems I heard something along that line, but can't recall the particulars.

I tend to recall Perez as one of those prodigious pencilers who can turn out a lot of very good work in short term, and it always seems that he's had multiple titles out at the same time -- but now that I think further on it, maybe it was only for that brief period when he was first getting started?
    He’s had diabetes-related issues for years, and he had a hand injury while drawing the JLA/Avengers mini that slowed him down for a while. And he just had eye surgery earlier this year.

Before the nerve pinch he was very fast. Because of a scheduling problem, he drew that first issue of The Inhumans in one week. After he fully recovered from the nerve pinch, and after Logan’s Run ended, he went back to penciling both Avengers and FF for a few months. For a very brief time in late 1979, he was working on Avengers, JLA, and New Teen Titans, but he felt he couldn’t keep up that pace, so he dropped Avengers for the second time. At some point during the mid-’80s he went back to drawing only one monthly title, though he would usually be working on covers or special projects on the side.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

These are some of my favorite episodes of the show. Not only does Chris have a wealth of knowledge to add to the discussion, but I get to learn so much more about some of my favorite books and characters.

Keep 'em coming, boys!

Agree 100%

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    As always, I love these shows. Quick question to anyone who could answer this. I remember and really enjoyed the duo of Wonder Man and Beast. Could this be considered the pre-cursor to the comedic team-up of Booster Gold and Blue Beetle?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I remember reading those Michelinie/Byrne issues with the Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch backstory "revelations" in a black & white, digest-sized format Marvel experimented with a while back ("Backpack Marvels," I think they called them). The format never took off and they were quickly remaindered, and that's when I picked it up because, hey, Bronze Age Avengers goodness with Byrne artwork for a buck? Yes, please.

As for modern appearances of Jocasta, I think her current status is "blowed up real good," but that's happened before, so I'm sure she'll recover from that whenever the next writer down the line feels like reviving her. I've heard good things about how she was used in Avengers Academy, and Dan Slott put her to really good use in his run on Mighty Avengers, where she acted as the majordomo for Hank Pym's Infinite Avengers Mansion. She and Hank also appeared to have a little somethin' somethin' going on the side, which creeped out the other team members.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

As always, I love these shows. Quick question to anyone who could answer this. I remember and really enjoyed the duo of Wonder Man and Beast. Could this be considered the pre-cursor to the comedic team-up of Booster Gold and Blue Beetle?

Well, it's true the Wonder Man and Beast bromance predated that of Booster and Beetle... but wouldn't the real precursor be Hope and Crosby?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed these bronze age spotlights and this two parter on the Avengers was no exception. Really looking forward to your copper-age focus on the Earth's Mightiest Heroes, so please don't wait so long between parts!! And I hope you continue to invite Chris from Wild Pig back for more of these discussions.

My vote for the next CGS Spotlight is for "Marvel Cosmic" so we can hear your insights and more factoids on such luminaries as Silver Surfer, Galactus, Thanos and all Infinity related material, Thor, Beta-Ray Bill, Nova, Inhumans, Eternals, The Watcher, Quasar, Kang, Adam Warlock, Killraven, Dark Phoenix, Brood, Celestials, Captain Marvel, Skrull, Kree, Annihilators, Galactic Storm, Secret Wars, Contest of Champions 1 & 2, Fantastic Four, and of course, Guardians of the Galaxy... This is easily a 3 parter waiting to happen.

Marvel Cosmic

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    I'm LUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVVINGGGGG these eps!!!

Still listening but I've just reached the part with Ultron and his "transforming" of Tony Stark.

Tony used the Extremis Virus to "hack" his biology. So he has the nanites living in his bones and he can mentally have them come out of his pores and sheath his body in the armor etc. So when Ultron decided to "hack" Tony Stark's armor he realized the biological components and was able to transform Stark physically.

As for modern appearances of Jocasta, I think her current status is "blowed up real good," but that's happened before, so I'm sure she'll recover from that whenever the next writer down the line feels like reviving her. I've heard good things about how she was used in Avengers Academy, and Dan Slott put her to really good use in his run on Mighty Avengers, where she acted as the majordomo for Hank Pym's Infinite Avengers Mansion. She and Hank also appeared to have a little somethin' somethin' going on the side, which creeped out the other team members.

Jocasta has been back. In Academy she was working with Jeremy Briggs (before he was killed, genius kid who could transmute matter). To save the the Mighty Avengers from Ultron (during Siege) she now has to split her time between Earth and being the bride of Ultron (whereever he is).
  • Options
    Corwin said:

I'm LUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVVINGGGGG these eps!!!

Still listening but I've just reached the part with Ultron and his "transforming" of Tony Stark.

Tony used the Extremis Virus to "hack" his biology. So he has the nanites living in his bones and he can mentally have them come out of his pores and sheath his body in the armor etc. So when Ultron decided to "hack" Tony Stark's armor he realized the biological components and was able to transform Stark physically.

Jocasta has been back. In Academy she was working with Jeremy Briggs (before he was killed, genius kid who could transmute matter). To save the the Mighty Avengers from Ultron (during Siege) she now has to split her time between Earth and being the bride of Ultron (whereever he is).
    ...which only leads one to wonder where she has been during the whole Age of Ultron storyline... Or Alchema, for that matter.

• Options

...which only leads one to wonder where she has been during the whole Age of Ultron storyline... Or Alchema, for that matter.

Good point. I was thinking the same thing. I also wondered why Marvel hasn't collected all of the old Ultron stories - including all Avengers/Ultron battles, collected in hardcover or TPB. There definitely should have been one out in conjunction with Age of Ultron. Maybe they've been too busy patting themselves on the back for sticking it to Todd McFarlane with Neil Gaiman's Angelyne... to which I say "meh".

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Oh and the Ultron storyline from the Busiek era with him destroying that nation...wow.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Another great episode, guys!! Love there retrospectives - and this one in particular is right in my wheelhouse - probably my all time favorite Avengers time.

One of the key parts of this is George Perez. One thing that wasn't mentioned is that when Perez started on the Avengers in the 140's, he was A LOT rougher than his subsequent work - so one of the utter pleasures of his work in this timeperiod is watching him go from an interesting new guy to a superstar talent. It was breathtaking to see how he developed! For me, he really started coming into his own about 18 months later with Avengers 160, when he joined Jim Shooter and we got the Wonderman story, followed by Antman leading into Ultron, and in the background, we got the setup for the upcoming Korvac story. the thing that was maddening though was the inconsistency with which Perez was on the book - after 3 amazing issues in a row, there was George Tuska and then the NEfaria 3-parter with Byrne, which was a solid story, but IIRC, Shooter tabled the Korvac setup in the issues where Perez wasn't the artist, and then brought them back when Perez returned in issue 167 for a Guardians of the Galaxy story and stayed for the next several issues. And he was looking even better than he had in the early 160's issue! Wonderful!! But then he was gone! Ugh. I remember being so disappointed. And when we finally got to the meat of the Korvac story, we got Dave Wenzel?? A perfectly competent artist, but, sorry, no George Perez. i remember thinking how disappointing it was that we didn't have Perez doing the end of the story. I mean it WAS a great story - and like Jamie, I recall that great ending where all the Avengers are sprawled on the ground looking utterly defeated. But no Perez!! Damnit!! Still irritates me decades later. Those Shooter/Perez issues remain among my all time favorite Avengers comics, and comics in general, and the lack of Perez for the Korvac finale one of my all time greatest disappointments (up there with the never-to-be seen Dr. Strange by Frank Miller!).

One other point, on the Wanda/Pietro parents issue, IIRC, the way they did it was, as you guys mentioned, set up that their mother was Magda, and left the father a mystery. But if you were reading FF at the same time, Byrne dropped the seemingly unrelated point of who Magda's husband/lover was (I'm being discreet here, but is this really a spoiler that needs to be protected?? lol). If you were reading either book without the other, you didn't have the answer. But if you read it together, you knew! I always thought that was pretty cool. And they didn't come back to this point for several years - but it was out there.

Anyway, as I mentioned - great stuff overall - and great podcast.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Love the episode but not enough love for the Absorbing Man two parter. The first cover is great. The second cover is fantastic. Absorbing Man is my favorite villain and that story is a big reason. I love when he turns into rubber and Hawkeye' s arrows bounce off him. Great visuals by Bryne.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Just got to this ep, and loved it! Thanks for the recap of a nice era. I was buying Avengers every now and then (lots of gaps that I need to fill) but I think this was one of the most exciting eras of the Avengers. As for that Avengers 200...I was like about 24 years old when I read it and I thought it was weird, but I didn't get that feeling that "the characters were not acting like themselves." Still, I did have a big "Huh?" reaction at the end of it. Say, about the Magda, Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch thing...wasn't there a panel in some Byrne-drawn issue of X-Men with M*g*e*o looking at some tapes and when Magda's face shows up, he erases it? I guess that was a big clue toward who Q and SW's father is. Hm...or maybe it was that FF issue that @ctowner1 mentioned?
  • Options
    alienal said:

Just got to this ep, and loved it! Thanks for the recap of a nice era. I was buying Avengers every now and then (lots of gaps that I need to fill) but I think this was one of the most exciting eras of the Avengers. As for that Avengers 200...I was like about 24 years old when I read it and I thought it was weird, but I didn't get that feeling that "the characters were not acting like themselves." Still, I did have a big "Huh?" reaction at the end of it. Say, about the Magda, Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch thing...wasn't there a panel in some Byrne-drawn issue of X-Men with M*g*e*o looking at some tapes and when Magda's face shows up, he erases it? I guess that was a big clue toward who Q and SW's father is. Hm...or maybe it was that FF issue that @ctowner1 mentioned?

Now that I think of it, you're probably right, @alienal. It wouldn't have been an issue of FF, because when the Avengers in the 180's were coming out, FF was in the early 200's, a good 2-3 years before Byrne took over. OTOH, IIRC, Byrne was co-plotting X-Men around then. So I'll bet it was an X-Men issue. And the scene you mention with ____ looking at tapes sounds familiar.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited July 2013
    I left a voicemail about this, but let me also leave this here: Comic Book Legends Revealed #409

Turns out, Marvel changed the story of Avengers #200 thanks to an issue of What If...? that strayed too close to the storyline Michelinie was crafting.
  • Options
    SonofthorSonofthor Posts: 73
    This is just an overall statement for these episodes but I think there should be an all new podcast feed with just episodes like this. The whole crew does such a wonderful job on the spotlight episodes!!!!
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Hey there @ctowner1 , FYI: it was Uncanny X-Men Vol 1 #125
    http://marvel.wikia.com/X-Men_Vol_1_125
    Apparently Magneto's on Asteroid M looking at his own data files and deletes the Magda file because it pains him.
  • Options
    alienal said:

Hey there @ctowner1 , FYI: it was Uncanny X-Men Vol 1 #125
    http://marvel.wikia.com/X-Men_Vol_1_125
    Apparently Magneto's on Asteroid M looking at his own data files and deletes the Magda file because it pains him.

cool! Thanks for the researtch, @alienal!

e
    L nny