Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1384 Talkback: Age of Ultron Issues 7 to 9

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited June 2013 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
The repercussions of what Wolverine did at the end of Age of Ultron issue 6 are dealt with in the next three issues of the series. We go over issues 7 to 9 of Age of Ultron and discuss what it all means as the story heads towards its conclusion. (48:19)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    A review of 3 issues that takes less then 50 min. This can't be good.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    rebis said:

Why... I can read them in less time than that!
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Jamie D is correct, this is just awful. Never seen a series fall off a cliff like this does in issue 4. The plot is a mess because of the time travel which also causes zero investment on which version of these characters survive. An then Angela's going to appear because this story is really about angels? This makes Fear Itself look like a home run
  • Options
    The appearance of the prototype Ultron-1 at the end of #9 has indeed been seen before, back in the original Ultron origin by Roy Thomas and John Buscema, told during the origin of the Vision, way back in Avengers #'s 57 and 58, just a few issues after Ultron's first appearance in #'s 54 & 55. We've also been seeing copies of Ultron-1 being used as drones in his attack on humanity in a few of the Age Of Ultron crossovers, which was rather an interesting touch.

Morgana LeFay has had prior clashes with Spider-Woman back in the original Spider-Woman series, and with Iron Man during the Michelenie - Layton issues of the 80's (as well as later during the Mike Grell issues in the early 2000's), where she also had encounters with Dr Doom. Bendis has touched on the Doom connection a few times himself over the past few years, so it's no real surprise that, in the absence of Ultron, a war between her and the technological world of the present would erupt -- especially with no Avengers organization to withstand her.
  • Options

rebis said:

Why... I can read them in less time than that!
    Let me clarify. My comment was on the quality of the books being reviewed. Not those doing the review.
  • Options
    gothamkidgothamkid Posts: 42
    Adding my voice to the chorus. My only reason for picking this up was that one of ym favorite characters, Hank Pym would get some redemption. He's been a character marred by bad characterization driven by an artist's misinterpretation of a script. (If you read interviews with the writer, Hank Pym was supposed to push Janet away, in the apocryphal issue, not backhand her to the floor). But no, I don't think he saves the da here, or if he does, will get the credit. Its had a lot of talking, but in all the wrong places. Less time should have been spent on the heroes bemoaning their fate and more time spent on the decision to go back in time and murder a fellow hero. And I don't know who cares about Angela, but I'm not part of that crowd, I jumped over/missed the Spawn craze when Image started, and I can't beleive anyone important or of lasting impact is going to show up in the last issue.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    So the Wolverine who came back to kill Pym was stopped by 'old costume' Wolverine. Then, that same Wolverine killed the 'OC' Wolverine because he didn't want to remember what he saw in the future.

Doesn't that mean that the surviving Wolverine & Sue Richards have to die (possibly using the Ultimate Nullifier) because there is already a Wolverine & Sue Storm in the initial timeline?

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

So the Wolverine who came back to kill Pym was stopped by 'old costume' Wolverine. Then, that same Wolverine killed the 'OC' Wolverine because he didn't want to remember what he saw in the future.

Doesn't that mean that the surviving Wolverine & Sue Richards have to die (possibly using the Ultimate Nullifier) because there is already a Wolverine & Sue Storm in the initial timeline?

M

Unknown. Either they are from the initial timeline and are returning to it as it was with the one change (Pym's time-released instructions to Ultron to not destroy humanity) and will simply resume their place there, or the timeline has been significantly altered to where nothing had happened and they will cease to exist, their selves having being reintegrated into the new timeline with no recollection of what had happened.

Why does everyone keep considering that the Ultimate Nullifier will somehow be used? The device is the ultimate doomsday weapon that will completely obliterate the earth; it wouldn't just take a desperate person to use it, but a fatalistic one as well.
  • Options
    From Wikipedia:

"The Ultimate Nullifier has been described as "the universe's most devastating weapon."[2] As such, the Ultimate Nullifier has the ability to completely eliminate any target the wielder chooses, along with the user if his or her mind is not focused enough.[2] In the hands of a being with an extremely powerful mind the Ultimate Nullifier can destroy (or in conjunction recreate) entire time-lines from beginning to end."

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

From Wikipedia:

"The Ultimate Nullifier has been described as "the universe's most devastating weapon."[2] As such, the Ultimate Nullifier has the ability to completely eliminate any target the wielder chooses, along with the user if his or her mind is not focused enough.[2] In the hands of a being with an extremely powerful mind the Ultimate Nullifier can destroy (or in conjunction recreate) entire time-lines from beginning to end."

M

Okay, I see that as a possibility then -- but where, in the course of the story, has there been dropped any teaser of the weapon possibly playing a part in the conclusion?
  • Options

Matt said:

From Wikipedia:

M

Okay, I see that as a possibility then -- but where, in the course of the story, has there been dropped any teaser of the weapon possibly playing a part in the conclusion?
    Listening to this episode, its apparently seen a lot in the background. Maybe if its used, the user will meet Wally West this time!

M
  • Options
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    I miss DC Comics
  • Options
    greyman24greyman24 Posts: 50
    If you were to pitch me a story that paired Sue Storm and Wolverine, I imagine the promise of that pairing would be the dichotomy of it--the squeaky-clean member of the Fantastic Four and the assassin. It would be similar to almost every pairing Wolvie has had. But the thing is that today's Wolverine isn't the beserker he was when a similar pairing was done well with Spider-man.

And Sue isn't the same person she used to be, either. Not only has she changed from a few decades ago, this is Sue after the apocalypse. Even if she was regularly being written as a shrinking violet, it wouldn't make sense for her to act that way and still be alive in the Age of Ultron.

You could do the "smart vs. dumb" angle, but Sue isn't that smart, and Wolverine isn't that stupid.

All you're left with is just...two people: two people who can't possibly have any kind of romantic connection, since Sue is forever faithful to Reed.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Wow, somehow I skipped this episode. It was still nice to listen to it. I guess all the speculation about the Ultimate Nullifier was wrong. (I already listened to Age Ultron #10 Episode...). Ah, so glad I didn't buy this, but now I think I should consider not buying a lot of other stuff...
  • Options
    NKQNKQ Posts: 24
    I'm surprised that this mini-series was hated universally. I liked it quite a bit. The art was appropriate and amazing to look at. I really enjoy unusual team ups and we got a lot of that in this series.
  • Options
    I didn't hate it at all. I also enjoyed the story.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    I enjoyed it for what it was...but it certainly didn't live up to the hype they placed on it.