Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A guide to Kryptonite: Which Kryptonite does what

Comments

• EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    The chart isn't bad, but it mixes a lot of things. Like referencing a lot of Pre-COIE Kryptonites, but going with the Post-COIE idea of Kryptonite being harmful to human because of the radiation.

Plus, a lot of Pre-COIE Kryptonites are missing.

And, I'd like to point out, if you are using Smallville, then by all means the list should include the synthetic Kryptonite designed by Gus Gorman in Superman III. You know, the one that uses tar and makes Superman all dark and jerk-like, until he literally splits into two beings? If the Smallville crap makes the cut, so should this.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited June 2013
    I remember Silver Kryptonite first being introduced in the silver age, but I forget what it was supposed to do -- I think it was revealed as a hoax.

There was also Jewel Kryptonite, a chunk that had originated from the Jewel Mountains of Krypton, and that was a hoax. That is, the chunk was authentic, but it didn't do anything other than glow. But Jax-Ur of the Phantom Zone villains had arranged a scheme with his companions to make Superman think the Jewel K had caused him to emit an explosive force.

And there was Kryptonite-X, which was a chemically altered Green K accidentally created by Supergirl during an attempt to find a cure for the stuff. The only effect it had was in giving Streaky the Supercat his super-powers.

I think there was also an Anti-Green K, but I can't remember for sure or what it was that it affected.

There was a Brave & Bold story (Batman & Lois Lane) that revealed how Green Kryptonite worked: it was a generally harmless radiation that only affected Kryptonians because of their super-dense cellular structure -- the radiation, which passed harmlessly through ordinarly mortals, ripped through the Kryptonian cells, causing immediate damage. (Of course, after the Crisis, it was changed to where Kryptonian radiation was like any other kind of radiation: deadly to everyone after a prolonged exposure. It just affected Kryptonians faster.)