Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Death of Superman Question (possible 20 year old spoilers)

2»

Comments

• PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

In a "real world", yes, ALL of the big guns would have been there to stop Doomsday, but in a comic book universe....first they had to decide if they wanted to have this villain beat EVERYONE, if there was enough space in the story, if they could have gotten permissions from the editors of other books and so on.

And this was also at a time when, quite honestly, the Justice League was a bunch of 2nd rate heroes because every so often, DC's editors get all pissy and won't let the Big Guns be int he Justice League.

Now...story wise, it was very much a wrestling storyline on a page. You have the new Big Bad Guy come in, he first beats up a bunch of people no one knows (squash matches), then he beats up your midcard guys so that people think "This guy is a bad ass", and THEN, you have him take on the top dog.

It's like when Galactus first showed up...back then, it was all in the Fantastic Four, but if you did that story now, fans would expect the Avengers, the X-Men, the Guardians of the Galaxy and everyone else to show up, which is more "real world", but not a great story choice.

Bingo. Not sure why, but at the time, the JL lineup really was those characters.

Also, isn't this like when some complain about the Avengers not being in Iron Man 3?
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    edited June 2013
    Planeis said:

David_D said:

I also wonder if keeping Batman out of it had to do with some sort of posturing between the Bat office and the Super office. To borrow (and probably misuse, Cory or others can check my math) the wrestling terms-- it is okay for the B-List JLA to job to Doomsday and put him over, so that he seems like that much more of a big deal when he meets up with Superman. But the Bat office is not going to let Batman job to Doomsday just to make he (and by extension, Superman who ultimately stops him) look tougher. In the same way that the Super office would likely not be up for Bane breaking Superman first just so that there is that much more heat going into Batman vs. Bane.

(Wrestling geeks: How did I do?)

Yea, but hasn't Superman jobbed to Batman numerous times?
    Yes. But that is because for a long, long time Batman has had more heat (and sales) and therefore I would guess the Bat office has more clout and veto power than the Super office.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

David_D said:

It really was a missed opportunity to give Bloodwind a push.

Well, at that point it wasn't the real Bloodwynd anyway -- it was the amnesiac Martian Manhunter in disguise... which wasn't revealed until six months later.
    Spoilers to a storyline no one cares about, jerkstore! :p
    There is a spoiler warning in the thread title.

And I liked the story. I thought Dan Jurgens had one of the best runs on JLA, including the Dark JLA story arc that fell between the Bloodwynd/Martian Manhunter tale and the Doomsday crossover.

Your *face* is a spoiler warning!

And I was joking anyway. :p