Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1393 Talkback: Comic Talk

After some talk about upcoming Comic-Con exclusives and the obligatory Doctor Who chat, we discuss comics in the first half of 2013 - what we're currently reading, what we're behind on in reading, and our pull lists. (1:04:43)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    pchan126pchan126 Posts: 1
    Doctor Who & couches: look up "Cushion rage" on youtube - there's a clip from "Coupling", a sitcom written by Stephen Moffatt "This is a sofa ... it is designed by clever scientists in such a way to shield the unprotected user from skin abrasions, serious head trauma, and of course... (hides behind sofa) DALEKS!"
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    edited July 2013
    Ahh, if only there was a World.... A World... of Toys that could clear all this up...

Here's the deal: Mattel strictly separates their online and retail offerings and the "BATMAN Classic TV Series Batman™ Batusi Batman™" is part of their online division:
    mattycollector.com/store/matty/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.1298800/productID.281527000#.UdQ5rT4-t4E
    This was available to order for pickup at SDCC but those orders have since sold out. This won't be at TRU or on any other shelves. The only other avenue to buy this figure will be on 8/5 on mattycollector.com/

Now the other Batman 1966 offerings are the retail branch and like most toy retail, there's no street date when they will all be released. That only happens for certain movie properties like Man of Steel and Dark Knight Rises. If you sample several online retailers, the release ranges from July to August:
    bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=MAT15237&mode=retail
    amazon.com/Batman-Classic-Series-Collector-Action/dp/B00C16YZ4S/
    amazon.com/Batman-Classic-Series-Penguin-Collector/dp/B00C16YZ2U/

No one has seen these yet and they aren't "in hand" on Ebay, so the chances of them being sold at SDCC are slim. If some retailer happens to get a case, they'll be gone in a Flash. My advice? Pre-order them on Amazon with free Prime shipping and sit back and relax,
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    edited July 2013
    and if only we had someone on the show who has insider info on Toys R Us for that exclusive Batmobile...

The TRU exclusive Batmobile will be sold at their partner's (Entertainment Earth's) booth for $60 at SDCC:
    actionfigureinsider.com/main/toysrus-heads-to-sdcc-at-ee-booth

It will then be at Toys R Us online July 18th:
    toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=20500956

and in physical stores July 15th or later, depending on how well they stock *cough*
    The figures won't be out until the August reset on the isles.

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    @JamieD and @Shane
    I've got your stamps
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Caliban said:

@JamieD and @Shane
    I've got your stamps

Thank you sir, you are a prince among men
  • Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156
    Here here! I second Jamie's sentiment sir. Many thanks!
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Trying to catch up...so far behind...interesting Con Exclusive Talk...how in the world does Wizard get off charging that much? .... What's up with that Rios? Taking a WHOLE month off? That slacker! LOL! .... Dr. Who..."ho-hum..." Starting to not care... First Half of the Year: Yeah, Batman's still good, Aquaman's not bad, Hawkeye, Daredevil still pretty good. I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying Superior Spider-man, And the Constantine new series is getting my attention...and like Shane, I do like World's Finest.
    It's interesting that you have two of the geeks not being about to read 30 books a month. I usually just read one or two in the morning while I eat breakfast and it's done.
    There's possibly a Rachel Rising TV show?: Wow, well, I have issues #1-12. :-) Anyway, on my "pull list" or the comics I buy every month, I try to basically have the number of independent mags match the number of DC which should match the number of Marvel. If I do that with DCBS, I basically can stay under $100 with about 12 books from each group. The Big Two are still approximately 66% of my list, but I'm probably getting fewer Big Two Comics and more independents than I was say, 5 years ago.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    pchan126 said:

Doctor Who & couches: look up "Cushion rage" on youtube - there's a clip from "Coupling", a sitcom written by Stephen Moffatt "This is a sofa ... it is designed by clever scientists in such a way to shield the unprotected user from skin abrasions, serious head trauma, and of course... (hides behind sofa) DALEKS!"

That is one of my favorite moments from that entire series, and it helps drive home just how ingrained the idea of watching Doctor Who from "behind the sofa" is in British culture. It seems like a quaint idea now, especially given how cheesy early Who looks to modern American eyes, but for little Brit kids watching during the Classic Series era, it was scary (or, once John-Nathan Turner took over, gaudy)!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Oh, and speaking of Doctor Who and SDCC exclusives, anyone have the means to pick me up an Ace action figure? I'm happy to reimburse!

She even comes with her backpack, anti-Dalek bat, RPG launcher, and a can of Nitro-9. Wicked! Ace, even!