Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

SDCC Room Reservations

I want to do a straw poll for those of you who went through Hotel Hell a few days ago to land lodging for SDCC.

Approximately what time did you finish filling out the online forms?

Did you get a hotel?

If so, how far up or down your ranking list was it?

Based on things I have been looking at up to this point, I am starting to think that assignments were pretty darn random, rather than first-come, first-served as mentioned on the website. Plus a lot of the hotel prices were higher on these emails than what was originally listed on the website.

For me personally, I finished the online form at approximately 12:06 PM EDT (six minutes after the site opened) and while I got a hotel, it wasn't any of the ones that I put on my list.

How about the rest of you?

Comments

• TrevTrev Posts: 310
    edited April 2012
    I want to do a straw poll for those of you who went through Hotel Hell a few days ago to land lodging for SDCC.

9:04 AM Pacific

Did you get a hotel?
    Yep

2nd Choice.

Based on things I have been looking at up to this point, I am starting to think that assignments were pretty darn random, rather than first-come, first-served as mentioned on the website. Plus a lot of the hotel prices were higher on these emails than what was originally listed on the website.

For me personally, I finished the online form at approximately 12:06 PM EDT (six minutes after the site opened) and while I got a hotel, it wasn't any of the ones that I put on my list.

How about the rest of you?
    I do think it is based on time stamp. Comparing with some others, there was about a minute or so difference between getting and not getting a room at the Gaslamp Hilton.

I think it depends on what your competition is early and which hotels you pick. I got my second choice (Bayfront), but it was also one of the more expensive hotels on the list. I would guess competition for the lowest priced, closest in rooms is stiffest. Then other downtown, then mission valley.

The hotel prices being higher may either be the inclusion of taxes (almost never quoted in room rate), or the $8/day shuttle surcharge.

Then there's the option you picked about what to do if none are avail. I think a lot of people probably chose "put me anywhere"

Tried to do my deposit this morning, but looks like the site is messed up/down. Keeps telling me I was logged out due to inactivity even though I've never been there!

And I tried multiple browsers. Will try again later.
  • PantsPants Posts: 567

Did you get a hotel?

I did it really fast because I was so worried I wouldn't get a room. I finished the form in under five minutes. I wasn't fully prepared so I only entered 15 hotels and they weren't really ranked how I would've liked them. I got the second hotel on my list.

B.
  • I've never been to SDCC but I would like to go. However all I ever hear any more are horror stories about the crowds the lines getting tickets to the con and travel around San Diego. I'm not to worried about a room, being in the military I can get one at Coronado. But hearing all the negativity (even from creators) it makes me wonder is it worth the headache and fuss?
  • kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I've never been to SDCC but I would like to go. However all I ever hear any more are horror stories about the crowds the lines getting tickets to the con and travel around San Diego. I'm not to worried about a room, being in the military I can get one at Coronado. But hearing all the negativity (even from creators) it makes me wonder is it worth the headache and fuss?
    You should go once. Every comic fan should go once. You'll either love it or you'll hate it. Then you'll know if you ever want to go back.

I will say this--if I didn't have an exhibitor's badge (and thus the ability to avoid the "get in the building" lines and the ability to hide behind a table when need be), I wouldn't go.

I've never been to SDCC but I would like to go. However all I ever hear any more are horror stories about the crowds the lines getting tickets to the con and travel around San Diego. I'm not to worried about a room, being in the military I can get one at Coronado. But hearing all the negativity (even from creators) it makes me wonder is it worth the headache and fuss?
    don't listen to the haters. Funny how they hate on it, but then always go, isn't it. :)

it can be an awesome con and an amazing experience. eventually geek culture will jump the shark and everything will calm down.

if you're a comics fan, imo you should try an go at least once.

for you, you have the biggest expense covered. So, if you can manage to jump through one hoop a year (tix), then you are good. You should take advantage and see for yourself.

• BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    I finished up my form about 6 minutes after 9am, I got my 7th choice, which was the Hyatt. I'm pretty ok with the choice. I'm glad to be staying close to the con this year, rather than out by the airport.

I was a bit surprised that the actual rate was quite a bit higher than the quoted rate. That's an extra $200 or so I wasn't expecting to spend.
    @PeanutButterMustache There are lots of horror stories, and a bit of PITA about Comic-Con, but man, it is one of the most fun conventions to go to. I always have a really good time. I think it's absolutely worth it.
    I finished up my form about 6 minutes after 9am, I got my 7th choice, which was the Hyatt. I'm pretty ok with the choice. I'm glad to be staying close to the con this year, rather than out by the airport.

I was a bit surprised that the actual rate was quite a bit higher than the quoted rate. That's an extra $200 or so I wasn't expecting to spend.
    The hyatt was quoted at $268/night. What was the final rate?

• Thanks for all the feed back. I really do want to go and maybe next year will be the year. Maybe I can make a vacation with the family out of it!!

$293. I guess it's not that much more than quoted. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend per night though, but I think it will be worth it.

I'm planning on staying 5 nights, so it adds up.

I'll have to sell a box of comics or something to pay for it.

$293. I guess it's not that much more than quoted. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend per night though, but I think it will be worth it.

I'm planning on staying 5 nights, so it adds up.

I'll have to sell a box of comics or something to pay for it.

Did you mark it ok to upgrade you if others unavail? Interesting bec. Bayfront was the same price as published -- maybe there is a problem. Did you ask them about the discrepancy? Maybe Hyatt raised the price at the last minute?
    Did you mark it ok to upgrade you if others unavail? Interesting bec. Bayfront was the same price as published -- maybe there is a problem. Did you ask them about the discrepancy? Maybe Hyatt raised the price at the last minute?
    I have no idea. I'm gonna call them today to see what I can find out. With taxes and fees this has gone up a bit more than I was expecting.

@kfreeman how many nights did you ask for?
  • kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    @kfreeman how many nights did you ask for?
    4 nights, starting on Wednesday

Here's what I think is the best strategy then, based on what I'm hearing from those who did and didn't get rooms.

• only pick your top 10-12 hotels
    • have them in the exact order you want with exact names before the site opens
    • pick 5 nights or more
    • only list one person on the reservation
    • make sure you pick one or two of the top dollar hotels in your area if you can

This should get the best results and optimizes for fastest submission and widest availability of rooms.

If you need to add a person or two or shift the number of nights slightly do it with the hotel later.
    @Trev, interesting, that's pretty much exactly what I did. I hit each bullet.

Are there folks that didn't get a hotel? I haven't heard too many horror stories of not getting a hotel at all.
    Most of the heavy complaints I've seen are from people who submitted between six and nine minutes in and either ended up with nothing or were given a hotel not on their list in a completely different part of town from their original requests.

People who submitted more than 10 minutes in seem resigned to their fate.

A lot of those 6-9 minute folks listed 15 or more hotels, asked for stays of less than 5 nights, or had 3 or more people on their reservation. Basically followed the directions in good faith but got bit by other decision factors that were only hinted at - the biggest being that orders are processed in the order received.