Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1397 Talkback: Spotlight on The X-Men in the Copper Age Part One

We knew going in that the X-Men in the Copper Age would be too broad a topic to spotlight in just one episode, so in this installment we confine ourselves to the years 1980-85. It's a serpentine saga of Secret Wars and samurai weddings; of the Brood and the Brotherhood; of doomed romance and Dire Wraiths; of Morlocks and mohawks! Everything X-Men (and New Mutants) between John Byrne's departure and the Trial of Magneto is covered here, courtesy of Chris Eberle and Co. (1:39:30)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    I love any Marvel spotlight episode with Adam and Chris, "The Eberle Brothers"
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    Caliban said:

I love any Marvel spotlight episode with Adam and Chris, "The Eberle Brothers"

=)) I think we've got a winner!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited July 2013
    Looking forward to listening to this. When JR Jr. takes over is around the time I soured on the X-Men. I got the feeling that Claremont was taking out frustrations on the X-Men, considering all the times he killed the team/killed or injured members of the team.
  • Options
    Quick story.
    Mile High Comics used to bring the X-Men creative team to town (Denver) about once a year. One year it was Claremont & Smith. I asked Paul Smith about Bob Wiacek's inks and told him that I really liked how they detailed Kitty's hair.

"I know that sounds weird, but please remember, at the time comic book hair wasn't detailed. It was treated as a sculpted mass sitting on top of the head."

Anyway, I called Kitty's hair, "Noodle hair". I don't know why that pissed Smith off, but it did. Long story short, I thought he was coming over the table at me.
  • Options
    Chris,
    The first 12 issues of Micronauts (Mantlo & Golden) are FANTASTIC! A little wordy, to be expected, but a great read nonetheless!
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Deathbird first appeared in Ms Marvel #9, Sept 1977.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    Uncanny X-Men #160 is one of my all-time favorite comic books. And definitely my all-time favorite X-Men comic.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    OMG! I absolutely love these X-Men Spotlight episodes. The Copper Age spotlight in particularly is bringing back awesome memories of reading these stories for the first time. As much as I love the Claremont/Byrne era, I love Claremont's post-Byrne work almost as much. I can’t wait until Part 2 when you cover the Marc Silvestri era.

Chris, I strongly agree with your feelings regarding 80s X-Men single book continuity vs. 90s and beyond X-Men multiple books continuity(?). There were just three books, Uncanny, New Mutants, X-Factor, and various mini-series and overall, the writing was AWESOME. I miss that sooo much.

When do you think you’ll all get to Part 2? Btw, in case I’ve never said this before, let me take the opportunity to say that Pants, you’re doing an awesome job. I also give mad props to Murd (a.k.a. The Professor), Shane, and Pimp Shiznit All-Mighty Jamie D. The chemistry among you four is awesome and Chris, you’re becoming one of my favorite CGS guest hosts ever. Keep up the great work guys.

• Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    Dman said:

When do you think you’ll all get to Part 2? Btw, in case I’ve never said this before, let me take the opportunity to say that Pants, you’re doing an awesome job. I also give mad props to Murd (a.k.a. The Professor), Shane, and Pimp Shiznit All-Mighty Jamie D. The chemistry among you four is awesome and Chris, you’re becoming one of my favorite CGS guest hosts ever. Keep up the great work guys.

Our hope is to get to part two sometime in August. And thanks for the kind words - they are much appreciated.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Uncanny X-Men just wrapped up an excellent arc dealing with Magik, Limbo, etc

All New X-Men is playing around with some Bronze Age continuity(Jean Grey/Jason Wyngarde).

These episodes are a great refresher for reading current X-books.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    I go with EberDough. Sounds really awesome when whispered.
  • Options
    I remember this period as being when I first started getting disenchanted with the new X-Men. There were an awful lot of great stories and moments there, no argument, but I was starting to see a number of things about Claremont's writing that were bugging me. First was his repeated explorations of the Phoneix and the 'dark hero' themes. I didn't have so much of a problem with the introduction of Rachel, but I got real annoyed with the whole Maddie Pryor story arc. Claremont was also doing more and more stories with magic in them, and his approach to magic always felt wrong to me. (Not that I can properly explain what would feel 'right' where magic is concerned; it was more of a feeling I had than any quantitative factual error.) I also felt that magic had no real place in what I felt was a sci-fi based superhero series. The only two stories involving magic that I felt he did an excellent job with were Kitty's fairy-tale (which, after all, was just a story told by Kitty) and the two-part Kulan Gath story.

The other thing that bugged me were the supporting characters. Claremont was often quoted as saying something along the lines of "I think of a character and then think, couldn't this be a woman?" I had no problem with that particular approach. But often than not, it seemed more like his approach was more, "I look at a major/minor supporting character/background passerby and I think, couldn't this be an alien/sorcerer/God/mystically-altered-persona/yet-another-undiscovered-mutant?" I got to where I couldn't read a story of his and wonder if the guy delivering pizza to the Xavier school wouldn't turn out to be a mutant assassin from a lost civilization hidden on the Yucatan peninsula.

I also thought that Claremont was getting stretched rather thin over so many mutant series and mini-series, but this was still early on and that thinness would seem more evident to me later on.

For all that, it was still a very lively period marked with good stories and terrific art, and those perceived flaws hadn't yet dulled the overall excitement of the series for me.

I note that very little was said of the Annuals for that period (unless I just missed hearing it -- I was doing some housecleaning while listening to the podcast and my attention might have momentarily wandered). George Perez and Terry Austin did a bang-up job of pitting the team against an old Avengers friend/antangonist, Arkon, in Annual #3; #4 had an early and still-developing-his-own-style John Romita Jr depicting their journey into Dante's Inferno with Dr Strange to rescue Nightcrawler's soul - a tale which formally introduced Kurt's foster mother, Margali of the Winding Road; #5 had a Brent Anderson illustrated adventure that teamed the X-Men with the Fantastic Four in a return to Arkon's dimension to battle the Badoon; and #6 (which I believe was mentioned) had a rematch with Dracula drawn by Bill Sienkiewicz.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Make Chris a regular!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited July 2013
    Wow! Again, much love for these Spotlight episodes. Still pleading for a Marvel Cosmic one. I was so appreciative this episode when at the very end of this podcast @Adam_Murdough mentioned one of my favorite X-Men artists, Art Adams. His Longshot art mesmerized me, and annual #10 with the X-Babies was a hoot!

FWIW, I was not a JRjr fan during his X-Men run and I am not a fan of his art today on titles such as Captain America. I know a lot of people love his work, but I happen to think it is blocky, chunky, inconsistent and sometimes very sloppy. I am sure his uncanny ability to meet deadlines has helped him get stints on nearly every character at Marvel, but honestly I just don't see the appeal. Obviously art is subjective, but for my copper age X-Men, I would have preferred Brent Anderson, Art Adams, Paul Smith, or bring Byrne back.

And speaking of frightening cover images (per Adam's comment about X-Men in the 80's), remember this iconic cover of the Brood infected Wolverine from #234! Cripes!!

Please keep up these spotlight episodes! And Chris Eberle is an excellent guest host too. Another home run @Pants!

• Options
    newway12newway12 Posts: 13
    This era was great at the time, but you can see the seeds of what would become a convoluted mess being sown.
  • Options
    Great Paul Smith take on Wolverine.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199

I was so appreciative this episode when at the very end of this podcast Adam_Murdough mentioned one of my favorite X-Men artists, Art Adams. His Longshot art mesmerized me, and annual #10 with the X-Babies was a hoot!

And speaking of frightening cover images (per Adam's comment about X-Men in the 80's), remember this iconic cover of the Brood infected Wolverine from #234! Cripes!!

I was a fan of Art Adam's X-Men work as well. His work grabbed me like it did for you. The X-babies cracked me up. I loved that annual. And with that and the mini-series, Longshot became one of my favorite X-Men.

And that Uncanny 234 cover is wicked scary.
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    @bralinator Marvel Cosmic spotlight??!!!!! I am SO down for that!!! Gurardians, Infinity, Annihilation etc!.....Some of my fave all time stuff!!!...Also, I know it will never happen but...love me some horror...Tomb Of Dracula..Werewolf By Night....Blade...Ghost Rider...Man Thing...etc.( i can only speak for Marvel) :)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2013
    mbatz said:

@bralinator Marvel Cosmic spotlight??!!!!! I am SO down for that!!! Gurardians, Infinity, Annihilation etc!.....Some of my fave all time stuff!!!...

That would be great but we're talking about a lot of material. The Geeks would have to set some parameters by focusing on a single series, creator, etc.

I'm still hoping for a spotlight series on the Fantastic Four. You like Marvel cosmic? It started here. Not just that but this book was the backbone for the entire Marvel U for many years. So much of what we take for granted about the Marvel U came from this series. Many great artists and writers worked on the book over the years too. It certainly would be a worthy choice.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    rebis said:

One of my favourite covers on one of my favourite X-Men stories

• Options
    I wasn't the biggest of Art Adams' fans. I liked his stuff okay, but I was never as wowed by it as some folks were.

A friend of mine had an interesting story about meeting Adams. My friend, who is now a game illustrator and who, during the mid-90's, was one of the chief contributors to the Magic - Ice Age card game, attended a small local con here in the very early 90's. He took his portfolio around to the major comic artists who attended -- there weren't many of them there, since it was a small con, but there were a few. All of them were encouraging, all were impressed with his work, all had helpful advice to offer, and all had specific pieces and pages that they specifically commented on.

Then, he came to Art Adams. When asked to look through the portfolio and give the work an appraisal, Adams did so reluctantly, saying, apologetically, that he wasn't very good at doing that sort of thing. According to my friend, Adams pretty much lived up to that statement, and his comments, observations and advice were pretty much the exact reverse of everything the other pros had told my friend.

My friend still likes Adams' work, but he has a completely different opinion of him otherwise as a result of that encounter.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I wasn't the biggest of Art Adams' fans. I liked his stuff okay, but I was never as wowed by it as some folks were.

A friend of mine had an interesting story about meeting Adams. My friend, who is now a game illustrator and who, during the mid-90's, was one of the chief contributors to the Magic - Ice Age card game, attended a small local con here in the very early 90's. He took his portfolio around to the major comic artists who attended -- there weren't many of them there, since it was a small con, but there were a few. All of them were encouraging, all were impressed with his work, all had helpful advice to offer, and all had specific pieces and pages that they specifically commented on.

Then, he came to Art Adams. When asked to look through the portfolio and give the work an appraisal, Adams did so reluctantly, saying, apologetically, that he wasn't very good at doing that sort of thing. According to my friend, Adams pretty much lived up to that statement, and his comments, observations and advice were pretty much the exact reverse of everything the other pros had told my friend.

My friend still likes Adams' work, but he has a completely different opinion of him otherwise as a result of that encounter.

A lot of artists hate giving portfolio reviews, because they find it very uncomfortable. There aren’t many of them (that I know of anyway) that will give anyone a completely honest review, because they've been there. They know what it feels like to show someone work they poured their heart and soul into and be completely crushed by a negative reaction. So most of the guys who do it will find one or two very general negatives—“You need to work on your anatomy,” or something along those lines—and one or two positives—“I like the way you posed this figure,” etc.—and that’s it.

Neal Adams is notorious for giving brutally honest portfolio reviews. He pulls no punches, and he pissed off a lot of people over the years who didn’t know how to accept criticism. Those that did, however, he usually helped a great deal (after they were done being pissed off at him).

I'm not sure of Art’s review policy, but the man knows how to draw and how to tell a story. Maybe he’s just not that good at relating that knowledge to others. He certainly wouldn’t be alone if that is the case.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Art based his 1985 Heroes for Hope cover image of Wolverine on this Paul Smith cover because the X-Men editors specifically asked him to do so. He didn’t trace it, but he used it as his reference.

Then Bob Budiansky, who was in charge of poster production at Marvel, asked Art to do a poster drawing based off the Heroes for Hope cover.

Also, that X-Men Annual with the X-Babies, as well as the New Mutants Special were both originally scheduled to be drawn by Paul Smith. Art was brought in after Smith backed out and skipped town.
  • Options

Neal Adams is notorious for giving brutally honest portfolio reviews. He pulls no punches, and he pissed off a lot of people over the years who didn’t know how to accept criticism. Those that did, however, he usually helped a great deal (after they were done being pissed off at him)

I had the pleasure of having my portfolio reviewed by Neal Adams many years ago and my experience was quite different, although, given the rank amateurism of my work at that time, it probably shouldn't have been. I was living in NYC at the time and had discovered through a local fanzine the address of Continuity Associates, and marched on down there with my portfolio in hand. Mr Adams was a bit bemused by my appearance, but was courteous enough to sit down and look through my work, offering me a cup of cocoa while we sat there. He didn't say much, but asked me my particular interest and ambitions. While he didn't say so, I got the impression that he thought my aims were too low and not thoroughly thought out; if those were his opinions, he was right and I didn't really see that until much later. But he surprised me by arranging an interview for me with DC's then art director -- who was far less pleased to see me, wasn't sure how to deal with me once I was there, and gave me a much harder look at the reality of the business and the kind of standard the art had to come up to. It was a heady dose of reality, to say the least. (And despite his air of being a bit put out, the interview was still professional and fairly amicable.)

Interesting side-note to this was that as a result of my visit my roommate and my neighbor, also aspiring comic artists, decided that if Neal Adams would look at my work then they should have no trouble getting interviewed. My roommate simply embarrassed himself, but my neighbor got himself hired and worked at the studio for at least a few years.

As for the interview with Neal Adams, I found him to be friendly and easy-going, especially as I had to have been an unwanted intrusion on a workday, and gave me a much gentler letting down than I probably deserved. And I certainly appreciated the cocoa.

• Options

Neal Adams is notorious for giving brutally honest portfolio reviews. He pulls no punches, and he pissed off a lot of people over the years who didn’t know how to accept criticism. Those that did, however, he usually helped a great deal (after they were done being pissed off at him)

I had the pleasure of having my portfolio reviewed by Neal Adams many years ago and my experience was quite different, although, given the rank amateurism of my work at that time, it probably shouldn't have been. I was living in NYC at the time and had discovered through a local fanzine the address of Continuity Associates, and marched on down there with my portfolio in hand. Mr Adams was a bit bemused by my appearance, but was courteous enough to sit down and look through my work, offering me a cup of cocoa while we sat there. He didn't say much, but asked me my particular interest and ambitions. While he didn't say so, I got the impression that he thought my aims were too low and not thoroughly thought out; if those were his opinions, he was right and I didn't really see that until much later. But he surprised me by arranging an interview for me with DC's then art director -- who was far less pleased to see me, wasn't sure how to deal with me once I was there, and gave me a much harder look at the reality of the business and the kind of standard the art had to come up to. It was a heady dose of reality, to say the least. (And despite his air of being a bit put out, the interview was still professional and fairly amicable.)

Interesting side-note to this was that as a result of my visit my roommate and my neighbor, also aspiring comic artists, decided that if Neal Adams would look at my work then they should have no trouble getting interviewed. My roommate simply embarrassed himself, but my neighbor got himself hired and worked at the studio for at least a few years.

As for the interview with Neal Adams, I found him to be friendly and easy-going, especially as I had to have been an unwanted intrusion on a workday, and gave me a much gentler letting down than I probably deserved. And I certainly appreciated the cocoa.

Sounds like a great experience. Yeah, I've always heard from people that despite how direct he can be, he is always very courteous and helpful and often goes out of his way for aspiring artists. I imagine he'd be a good boss to work for.
  • Options
    d_beyer_jrd_beyer_jr Posts: 12
    MURD- I was also freaked out by Pinocchio as a kid. The entire Pleasure Island bit was really out of control for me at that age, and I never watched the film again.

Overall, I loved this episode and l really enjoy whenever Chris takes to the mic.
  • Options

Also, that X-Men Annual with the X-Babies, as well as the New Mutants Special were both originally scheduled to be drawn by Paul Smith. Art was brought in after Smith backed out and skipped town.

Wow! Does anyone know the story behind that? I'm surprised Smith was able to work in comics again.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Wow! Does anyone know the story behind that? I'm surprised Smith was able to work in comics again.
    I don't think it was all that dramatic an exit. If I remember correctly, that was when he moved out West. I'm pretty sure he gave them notice, because Art didn’t mention anything about having to rush on the annuals. Smith just took a few months off, then came back and did some fill-in issues of Dr. Strange and a few other odds and ends before taking over the penciling on Nexus for a while.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    As always I love these eps! I was born in 1980 so I never knew about the X-Men until the early 90s. I have all the issues discussed but I have yet to (bind) and read them.

As for Arcade, I think he did kill his previous assistant. I think she burned half his face off on his birthday or something like that. I may be mistaken but it might have been revealed in the Loeb/Sale Wolverine/Gambit: Victims mini series.

I can't wait for you guys to reach the chromium age where I was picking the books up off the shelf.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Oh and Marvel Team Up 100 was indeed the first appearance of Karma but it also had a Black Panther and Storm back up story detailing them falling in love a teens. Later to be followed up upon when they got married around Civil War.