Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1401 Talkback: Comic Talk - SDCC News Edition

There's always lots of news coming out of Comic-Con and this year was no exception. We talk movie news on Superman & Batman, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Guardians of the Galaxy, comic news on the X-Men, IDW's Artist Editions and more. (1:10:16)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited July 2013
    I heard a rumor that this episode comes without rumors....

<:-P

Show is in the chamber, ready to be shot into my ears.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Jamie: Captain America: Winter Soldier was filming here in Cleveland earlier this summer. We had lots of sightings of all the stars in town. Here's a link to an image of Cap and Black Widow that the studio was trying to keep under wraps:

http://www.cleveland.com/movies/index.ssf/2013/06/scarlett_johansson_locks_lips.html.

Also, Hayley Atwell (Peggy Carter) was spotted briefly for a day's shooting. Click on the Plain Dealer site for all the info.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Superman v. Batman

I'm pessimistic about this primarily because the filmmakers are on record about wanting to do other things as a follow up to Man of Steel. It comes off as a corporate calculated move to rake in $. The Dark Knight dialog at the con implies a lot more dumb fighting which was the primary complaint of Man of Steel. This will also leave little time to address the evolution of the Superman character or to build up his world (Metropolis, the Daily Planet, ect.). It also doesn't add up to a cohesive plan to build this DC movie universe. Batman is the last Justice League member that needs exposure to a wide audience. Where will they find the time to establish this Batman, especially when the last trilogy was so recently well received? There's no way it will be Levitt, the Nolan crew is staying far away from this nonsense. Nolan and his wife are exec. producers which is probably just a title in name. So now it's just Snyder, a director I find clumsy and ham fisted. You can ask me to be optimistic, but DC's current faults in publishing leave me with little confidence in the decision makers there. There's a saying about a certain substance falling downhill...
    Jamie, there's a Flash movie planned before JL so there ya go.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

I understand it will be different, but why get any of the stink of that series on Avengers 2? Also, what happened to the Avengers fighting Thanos? I have faith in Joss (not JOSH) but this seemed like a very odd move. Also, it ain't Chuitari making Ultron, it'll be Tony Stark, trust me

Ed McGuiness - He and Loeb were only 1st arc of Nova
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2013
    This made me chuckle after I heard @Pants' SDCC recap. I think the second list is a little more true to life.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Of course they make the 'Free Hugs' guy the blond guy.
  • Options
    The one non-slave Leia should never be ignored. Anytime someone does the sticky-bun sided hairdo, I automatically go into introverted geek boy with a childhood crush mode. My wife has promised me in the past she'd think about the coif, but six years so far without one. I guess we still have that unconditional love and passion thing going, but oi vey, that hairdo!
  • Options
    Since Avengers 2 is named after a stinky miniseries, then Avengers 3 should be bylined as "Civil War." Add Luke Cage and Danny Rand as Heroes for Hire (and an awesome spinoff movie--think of the afro-tiara in 3D!), and make sure something catastrophic happens in Avengers 2 on Earth. Not blowing up an elementary school catastrophic, but huge property damage and lots of people injured (but not dead). The higher-ups controlling SHIELD pass the government super-hero registration act after a divided public opinion. Cap and Hulk oppose it strongly (the last time Cap saw government registration was Jewish registration with the Nazis, so he is adamantly against it, and Bruce Banner based on his own moral reasons), and Iron Man, even though he's pretty anti-government and rebels against everything, accepts it because Stark Industries would lose way too much money and he's a douche bag in general. Hawkeye and the Black Widow have a friendship-breaking disagreement about the intentions and legality of the act, and Hawkeye leaves SHIELD because he cannot accept it. So you have subplots within the story of good friends splitting apart. And Thor could care less and avoids either side since it's a human problem.

Heroes fight and then instead of Cap dying as a result of the Red Skull's plot (taking advantage of the fractured Avengers to gain an advantage), Tony realizes what a douche bag he really is and saves Cap at the last second and dies instead of Cap.

At the end of the movie, you pan out from above on Cap as he yells a Star Trek II homage, "Skull!!!!!!!". Then Star Trek III, er, Avengers IV can be about finding Tony Stark who has somehow survived through some kind of timey-wimey device. Or, instead of Cap yelling at the end of Civil War, Marvel buys New England Comics and their copyright, and The Tick is introduced yelling "SPOON!!!!!!" over Tony Stark's body. It doesn't make any sense, as of most of this posting, but damn, I would pay good money to see that in the theatre and on Blu-Ray multiple times with all deleted scenes and commentaries. And that is how you do a sequel. Maybe I should stick to my day job. :-*
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Nice episode. You guys sound excited about some of the news and that helps me be excited!

Superman & Batman: Awesome announcement! I think it would be cool if we didn't know who Batman was then when Superman uses his X-Ray vision to see who he is we find out that it's Leavitt in the Batman role. There's no reason it couldn't be him. It'd probably be more confusing if it was him, since it's supposed to be a kind of reboot, but hey I wouldn't mind if it was him...I haven't seen Man of Steel yet, but it seems to have been reasonably successful amongst the non-comic readers so who can really say if Superman & Batman by the same director wouldn't be?

Avengers: Age of Ultron - I agree that Ultron will probably be the result of something that Stark does. It might even be related to his current Jarvis, the robots he HAD before his beach place got blown up, and maybe even the new technology he picked up in the 3rd movie. Oh, but it's too bad that Pym couldn't be involved. That would've been cool. But us comic fans can't have it all, it's a movie universe "based on" our comic universe.

Guardians of the Galaxy: To me, I expected Thanos to show up in this one rather than in Avengers. I think Avengers just introduced the character, so I'm sure he'll show up in something further down the line (but I still hope it's in Guardians!).

Captain America: Wow!: Black Widow, more SHIELD, Falcon, Peggy Carter AND Sharon Carter! Wow...! All that's missing is Rick Jones and maybe Sitwell...heh-heh.

X-Men Comic: Another X-Men comic I might need to buy? Arrrgh! Well, fortunately, I've been dropping Avengers books left and right. Heh-heh..
  • Options
    ParallaxParallax Posts: 10
    Guys, I love you all but you HAVE to be aware (or made aware if you're not) that Jamie breathing into the mic during the episode is REALLY tough to listen to. I know it's probably health related and all, but a simple technique to to lean away from the mic unless he's talking!!! It's as fun to listen to as someone eating in my ear so PLEASE attempt to correct this because I love listening! Nothing about his opinions (although he's NUTS about certain things), just a request from a listener since ep. 30!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Those con-exclusive Lego minifigures immediately went for crazy money last year, too, which sucked because I really wanted the Captain Marvel and Bizarro ones. Luckily minifig customization is becoming pretty popular, so you don't have to look around too hard online to find really high-quality designs (often pretty much exactly what Lego made themselves) you can print out as decals and then just make your own.

Also, at least one of those WWE comics coming out from Papercutz is going to be written by Mick (Mankind, Cactus Jack, Dude Love) Foley, who is a much better writer than you'd expect a guy who took like 27 chair shots to the head in a single match to be. That'll be worth checking out.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Parallax said:

Guys, I love you all but you HAVE to be aware (or made aware if you're not) that Jamie breathing into the mic during the episode is REALLY tough to listen to. I know it's probably health related and all, but a simple technique to to lean away from the mic unless he's talking!!! It's as fun to listen to as someone eating in my ear so PLEASE attempt to correct this because I love listening! Nothing about his opinions (although he's NUTS about certain things), just a request from a listener since ep. 30!

@Parallax- maybe that sort of feedback would have been better given by emailing the show, or emailing Pants as the show producer, rather than a post on the forum. As a longtime listener, you know there are many ways to communicate with CGS, and that some sorts of feedback that might be better in an envelope instead of posted. You said yourself it is probably health related, why not treat it with some appropriate tact?
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    David_D said:

Parallax said:

@Parallax- maybe that sort of feedback would have been better given by emailing the show, or emailing Pants as the show producer, rather than a post on the forum. As a longtime listener, you know there are many ways to communicate with CGS, and that some sorts of feedback that might be better in an envelope instead of posted. You said yourself it is probably health related, why not treat it with some appropriate tact?
    I understand the comment itself is cringe worthy because we know Jamie D's health concerns but if its public knowledge then it's a fair criticism to make. Jamie does not hide his health why can't a listener comment on it without the scolding of the moderator? I don't like the initial comment but I have to think the forum and the Geeks are big enough to absorb even poorly articulated posts.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    shroud68 said:

David_D said:

Parallax said:

I understand the comment itself is cringe worthy because we know Jamie D's health concerns but if its public knowledge then it's a fair criticism to make. Jamie does not hide his health why can't a listener comment on it without the scolding of the moderator? I don't like the initial comment but I have to think the forum and the Geeks are big enough to absorb even poorly articulated posts.
    I don't see this as moderation. This is just me being me. (Though I understand that is a hard distinction to see). And I would have said this before I was moderating.

I am just saying not everything is best served by, 'hey, let's talk about this in front of everybody!' Just because the guys may be big enough to absorb it, as you said, doesn't mean that others of us won't call something tacky when we see it.

How we treat each other is not something you have to be a moderator to have an opinion on.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    I wasnt going to jump in on this but since its my breathing in question, I would agree with David, a nice note to Pants or myself would be apprecitated instead of the call out on the forum, you dont agree with my opinion thats fine, that I can take but since I am aware of it and try to keep it at bay the best I can, calling me out here is the equivalent of pointing and laughing at someone on the playground who is different. It does hurt and it hurt here but I was going to take the high ground until more was said about it. A little tact is what is called for, hopfully you all keep listening and I try to make sure it doesnt happen that often. Thanks in advance and for listening
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2013
    Wow. Talk about pulling back the curtain. Until this discussion, I though you all held your breath during recording... ;))
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2013
    Since ep 30..so you've listened through dogs barking, mic problems, bad phone connections, static, echos, and numerous other issues over the years but this is what you decide to make a stink about?

I just got my hearing tested at work..it's perfect..I listen to the show with high quality headphones..what your're complaining about has never entered my mind.

I hope nobody goes out of their way to try to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Lets just be appreciative of all of the hours of entertainment that this show has given us through the years. Lets also try to give back some generosity as fans. Thank You Jamie and the rest of the CGS crew.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Breathing? Hmm...I don't really have any idea what he's talking about. But then again, maybe I've listened for so long that I'm used to it. Still, whatever...yeah, I agree: Wrong to point it out in the forum FIRST. Bring it up in a personal message/email first, THEN ask if anyone else notices it. So, yeah...the initial comment was pretty harsh though.