Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1403 Talkback Off the Racks: Batman '66, The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Quantum and Woody

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

Folks, in my recent Batman 66 WB ep I asked Jeff Parker specifically about the likeness issues of cast members and possible celeb cameos in "the Bat Rope scenes" .

He said DC's legal dept was being very careful with getting permission to use likenesses, In fact they approached the estate of a well known but dead singer of the 66 era about having his likeness in the book, and the estate wanted a mid 5 figure dollar amount for the cameo!

This is a very litigious era, and while we'd all obviously like DC to give us Bob Hope Jerry Lewis and other celeb cameoes , just like the TV show did, it's not going to be easy, and in this case it's not their "fault".

If they cannot use celebrities, i think they should put their own spin on it and use the silver age versions of characters they own. The window opens up and there is Sgt Rock or Saturn Girl. It makes no sense but it might be fun.
    That'd be cool. Maybe Bob Hope would be out of the question, but why not Super Hip?
  • Options

Maybe Bob Hope would be out of the question, but why not Super Hip?

LOVE LOVE LOVE that idea! I can already see him leaning out of the window as the Dynamic Duo climb past and shouting, apropos of nothing, his defiant battle-cry: "Blech to Lawrence Welk!!" That'd be the ginchiest! :)>-

...Heck, why stop at a mere Bat-climb cameo? S.H. could actually join in the felon-foiling fun (or, better yet, side with the villains against the comparatively "square" Batman & Robin)! Maybe the whole thing could devolve into a giant love-in guest-starring a slew of DC's silliest, swingin'est stars of the '60s: the Inferior Five, Brother Power, the Maniaks, Angel and the Ape, etc.! I'm sensing much potential grooviness here; I just hope Jeff Parker's keyed-in to the same vibe!
  • Options
    Bloody Brilliant Episode Guys! Made me laugh a lot... especially the Bizarro Non-Muddling.

How's about we start compiling a list of Murd's Most Magniloquent Murdoisms?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

rebis said:

Satellite Sam is expanding this industry and giving us an era of television that is not explored enough in any medium. You guys need to be paying attention to this comic Fraction can steer Chaykin away from cheesecake and insanity. The first issue was gorgeous and has the steady hand of one one of the best in the medium.

See my post above.
    I can't agree more. The only thing that kept me from buying the book was the language used in the dialogue.

It was really hard not to buy it.
    What exactly are you talking about? There was some language but it did not seem excessive by today's standards.
    By today's standard no. However, Psalms 109 has been on my mind and heart of late:

He wore cursing as his garment; it entered into his body like water, into his bones like oil. May it be like a cloak wrapped about him, like a belt tied forever around him.
  • Options
    wordballoonwordballoon Posts: 87
    edited August 2013

I question who owns the TV-show specific villains, though. Guys like Bookworm, Egghead, King Tut, and False Face all showed up on Batman: The Brave and the Bold at one point or another, and Egghead even turned up in an issue of the B:TBatB comic book (teaming up with Egg Fu to fight Batman and Wonder Woman). DC also introduced their own version of King Tut in a Batman Confidential arc a few years back.

unlike seeing a famous celeb just being a celeb in those batrope scenes, i think you can count on bookworm, egghead, King Tut, and False Face because their celeb faces had enough props or make-up covering their natural looks that likeness issues won't be a problem. from talking to parker, it sounds like that's exactly what DC wants to do with the 66 series

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    rebis said:

rebis said:

Satellite Sam is expanding this industry and giving us an era of television that is not explored enough in any medium. You guys need to be paying attention to this comic Fraction can steer Chaykin away from cheesecake and insanity. The first issue was gorgeous and has the steady hand of one one of the best in the medium.

See my post above.
    I can't agree more. The only thing that kept me from buying the book was the language used in the dialogue.

What exactly are you talking about? There was some language but it did not seem excessive by today's standards.
    By today's standard no. However, Psalms 109 has been on my mind and heart of late:

He wore cursing as his garment; it entered into his body like water, into his bones like oil. May it be like a cloak wrapped about him, like a belt tied forever around him.
    (This isn't intended to be an insult) I've come to realize I've never found any biblical verses to reference, be reminded of, or hold myself to. Its semi-comical rather then a religious saying, I've come to use more pop culture references. I'd use "with great power..." well before I'd reference the bible, Koran, or Torah. I have a very good idea what that says about me.

M
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

I question who owns the TV-show specific villains, though. Guys like Bookworm, Egghead, King Tut, and False Face all showed up on Batman: The Brave and the Bold at one point or another, and Egghead even turned up in an issue of the B:TBatB comic book (teaming up with Egg Fu to fight Batman and Wonder Woman). DC also introduced their own version of King Tut in a Batman Confidential arc a few years back.

unlike seeing a famous celeb just being a celeb in those batrope scenes, i think you can count on bookworm, egghead, King Tut, and False Face because their celeb faces had enough props or make-up covering their natural looks that likeness issues won't be a problem. from talking to parker, it sounds like that's exactly what DC wants to do with the 66 series

Yup. I figure if they're going so far as to use Chandell (Liberace) and the Siren (Joan Collins) in the comic, pretty much any of the show's villains are fair game.
  • Options
    The digital version of Batman '66 captures the spirit of the original TV series perfectly. The flow and appearance of each panel with the narration gives one the feeling of watching all new episodes of the series.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Got my Batman 66 issue today with my DCBS order. Not sure how good the story is because the coloring is just terrible and makes my eyes hurt. The art in general (for me) is hit or miss.

I hope the digital version is great. I like the concept of the book. The print is just not for me.
  • Options

Got my Batman 66 issue today with my DCBS order. Not sure how good the story is because the coloring is just terrible and makes my eyes hurt. The art in general (for me) is hit or miss.

I hope the digital version is great. I like the concept of the book. The print is just not for me.

Some people have mentioned how they think the book looks likes it requires 3d glasses. It is obvious that the title was not colored with print in mind, and I am nost sure I would it any other way.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I didn't mind the digital transitions, but then when I got to issue 4 (which has no transitions) I felt like I was missing something. I guess I like them a lot more than I initially thought. The CGS guys should just try out on issue and pass it around and see what you think. I'll send you the $1!
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I just saw that The Sandman (Michael Rennie) is coming to the comics!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

rebis said:

rebis said:

See my post above.

(This isn't intended to be an insult) I've come to realize I've never found any biblical verses to reference, be reminded of, or hold myself to. Its semi-comical rather then a religious saying, I've come to use more pop culture references. I'd use "with great power..." well before I'd reference the bible, Koran, or Torah. I have a very good idea what that says about me.

M
    I am not nearly as interested in Batman '66 as this podcast made me think that I should be. I was too wowed by Frank Miller's versions to go back to the camp of the 60's era. But again, this podcast did think I should pick it up. I've been influenced to buy a lot of materials from this podcast. As a matter of fact, I just bought the Crisis on Infinite Earths TPB in order to listen to the 8 episodes of 'The Crisis Tapes' from Adam_Murdough and Peter Rios! As for the use of profanity in some of the recommended comic books, I can understand not wanting to have them in your home or even wanting to read obscene language. I too am a follower of Christ and we're instructed not to use profanity (Ephesians 4:29). However, as an art lover, I understand the use of profanity or obscene words is sometimes a necessary device in the narrative (Mark Twain comes to mind). However, having children in my home whom I am raising in a way of integrity and honor (and not to use vulgar language) if they happen across materials in my possession which use or condone vulgar language it makes my role as a parent that much more difficult and sets a poor example.

That being said, I am quite fond of these podcasts, but when any of the guys start cussing, it is rather off-putting and seems unnecessary. While I know a lot of time and research goes into this material the CGS guys are presenting, I'm of the mindset that foul language is simply lazy. I know sometimes you cannot seem to find the right word and probably just throw out a fitting curse word, but I guess I'd prefer it if you didn't. I can tell sometimes that you are trying to curtail it, and to me, it raises the quality of this podcast when you can avoid it. So many lesser comic podcasts seem to be quite proud of their 'explicit' status and I no longer subscribe to them, though it is often for a myriad of reasons, their obscene language notwithstanding.

All in all, I'm not going anywhere and will remain a subscriber for the foreseeable future; just wanted to add my unsolicited "two cents" here.

---------------------------

"The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it." -George Washington

“Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly.”
    ― Spencer W. Kimball

“When a man uses profanity to support an argument, it indicates that either the man or the argument is weak - probably both” ~ unknown

“Profanity is the attempt of a lazy and feeble mind to express itself forcefully” ~ unknown
  • Options

I'm also a print purist. I don't want my comics all multi-media-ed; if I want to see them move or have cool effects, I'll watch a movie or animated show. Plus, I don't buy any digital comics that I don't get to keep. Plus, I don't buy digital comics.

I won't even mention how disinterested I am in Batman '66 to begin with.

I happen to have all the FREE digital comics and downloaded the ones from my current print stash to my Comixology account, but since I only have an iPhone it's simply not a great experience, though I could see the attraction if I had a large iPad. Digital will never over-take my love for the "floppies" when I ask myself the following questions. How can I let someone borrow my digital issue? More importantly, how can I sell or trade a digital only version? The secret speculator in me simply can't get past the fact that the digital format isn't tangible and the issues will NEVER go up in value.

Not interested in Batman '66 much myself. Just sayin'
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Matt said:

rebis said:

rebis said:

See my post above.

M
    I am not nearly as interested in Batman '66 as this podcast made me think that I should be. I was too wowed by Frank Miller's versions to go back to the camp of the 60's era. But again, this podcast did think I should pick it up. I've been influenced to buy a lot of materials from this podcast. As a matter of fact, I just bought the Crisis on Infinite Earths TPB in order to listen to the 8 episodes of 'The Crisis Tapes' from Adam_Murdough and Peter Rios! As for the use of profanity in some of the recommended comic books, I can understand not wanting to have them in your home or even wanting to read obscene language. I too am a follower of Christ and we're instructed not to use profanity (Ephesians 4:29). However, as an art lover, I understand the use of profanity or obscene words is sometimes a necessary device in the narrative (Mark Twain comes to mind). However, having children in my home whom I am raising in a way of integrity and honor (and not to use vulgar language) if they happen across materials in my possession which use or condone vulgar language it makes my role as a parent that much more difficult and sets a poor example.

That being said, I am quite fond of these podcasts, but when any of the guys start cussing, it is rather off-putting and seems unnecessary. While I know a lot of time and research goes into this material the CGS guys are presenting, I'm of the mindset that foul language is simply lazy. I know sometimes you cannot seem to find the right word and probably just throw out a fitting curse word, but I guess I'd prefer it if you didn't. I can tell sometimes that you are trying to curtail it, and to me, it raises the quality of this podcast when you can avoid it. So many lesser comic podcasts seem to be quite proud of their 'explicit' status and I no longer subscribe to them, though it is often for a myriad of reasons, their obscene language notwithstanding.

All in all, I'm not going anywhere and will remain a subscriber for the foreseeable future; just wanted to add my unsolicited "two cents" here.

---------------------------

"The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it." -George Washington

“Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly.”
    ― Spencer W. Kimball

“When a man uses profanity to support an argument, it indicates that either the man or the argument is weak - probably both” ~ unknown

“Profanity is the attempt of a lazy and feeble mind to express itself forcefully” ~ unknown
    This peeked my interest as a slight tangent. AND I can see the drought of my appearances on the show is coming through.

Don't WE dictate what's profanity? You've included great quotes, but none really say what's profanity & what isn't? I'm sure what I see as profanity isn't the same as someone else (I've never bought the "whatever you wouldn't say to a priest" standard. Who's THIS guy, anyway?!) I've come to understand we add the meaning & weight to words, so its all subjective.

"The pen is mightier then the sword." - Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton

I don't completely agree with using a supposedly profane word as lazy. I've heard people state 'ass' & 'shit' are cuss words. Aren't they just synonyms for 'butt' & 'feces', respectfully? Its no real difference then using 'toilet' instead of 'latrine.'

Now, if someone's statement is 1/3 "cuss" words used as adjectives, then I agree its a sign of being uneducated. The person must think certain words are our 'smurf' word. (i.e. smurf this, smurf that.)

M

• Options

The secret speculator in me simply can't get past the fact that the digital format isn't tangible and the issues will NEVER go up in value.

I think this opinion is one of the most damaging to the comics industry. The publishers play to it with gimmicks like the DC 3D cover debacle, speculators create bubbles, and the focus moves away from the stories to the physical objects. I agree with the idea that its a serious problem that we can lend or share these stories as easily digitally. But that will change as more people become interested in digital and tablets become more ubiquitous. The market will push for it, smart people will find a way to do it, and publishers will realize that getting their product into the most hands possible is the best scenario for them. TV is only starting to realize this now with the boost quality shows get from word of mouth and Netflix and Hulu and other streaming options.

I'm not saying that floppies will or should go away. I think that there is a place for them in the market and that they will remain the primary way people get their comics for years to come. But I think that we should stop spectulating on comics, acting as if its a future investment. Its the only home entertainment that people have an expectation of future growth. I don't know anyone who speculates on DVDs, CDs, or books. These items (for the most part) routinely end up in yardsales and second-hand stores when resold.

I think that we should only buy comics with the hope that it entertains and engages us in some way and that should be the limit of what we expect. If someone buys floppy or digital it should only add to the enjoyment.

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I think it's fucking self righteous to post 4 quotes to scold the geeks for cursing once in a blue moon. I understand some may be offended but I'm equally offended when somebody gently scolds us for profanity use. Voice your opinion, spare me the heavy handed bullshit. I have a father already, he taught me how to be a man. Save Ur advice.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    "I cuss, you cuss, we all cuss for asparagus!"
    - Gary Larson
  • Options

I agree with the idea that its a serious problem that we can lend or share these stories as easily digitally. But that will change as more people become interested in digital and tablets become more ubiquitous. The market will push for it, smart people will find a way to do it, and publishers will realize that getting their product into the most hands possible is the best scenario for them. TV is only starting to realize this now with the boost quality shows get from word of mouth and Netflix and Hulu and other streaming options.

I'm curious about this myself because I cannot for the life of me envision the industry allowing us to share these digital downloads 'legally'. I'd be more likely to commit if they did. As for being able to resell them later as I have done many floppies that simply didn't interest me, I won't hold my breath.

I think that we should only buy comics with the hope that it entertains and engages us in some way and that should be the limit of what we expect. If someone buys floppy or digital it should only add to the enjoyment.

I agree 100%, but again, I've sold comics and made profit and I've sold some just to make room. Can't do that with digital... 'legally' or easily, yet.
  • Options

I'm curious about this myself because I cannot for the life of me envision the industry allowing us to share these digital downloads 'legally'. I'd be more likely to commit if they did. As for being able to resell them later as I have done many floppies that simply didn't interest me, I won't hold my breath.

Actually there are a number of creators experimenting with DRM-free downloads now, like Mark Waid's Thrillbent project, Joshua Fialkov's The Bunker (both of which are also available on Comixology) and BKV and Marcos Martin's The Private Eye. As for the resale market, that's going away in every sector of entertainment. Look at how aggressively videogame companies have been attacking it.

I agree 100%, but again, I've sold comics and made profit and I've sold some just to make room. Can't do that with digital... 'legally' or easily, yet.

The profit thing is one side, but as for making room, that's something digital reader don't really have to worry about.

• Options

I agree with the idea that its a serious problem that we can lend or share these stories as easily digitally. But that will change as more people become interested in digital and tablets become more ubiquitous. The market will push for it, smart people will find a way to do it, and publishers will realize that getting their product into the most hands possible is the best scenario for them. TV is only starting to realize this now with the boost quality shows get from word of mouth and Netflix and Hulu and other streaming options.

I have to say, it is something off putting about it. Sure I buy floppies for my own entertainment, but they're also collectibles. DVDs, CDs, they aren't a part of series or collection (despite trilogies). Comics are more like baseball cards. You buy them for the entertainment, but also as an investment.

One of my issues with DC & Marvel right now is the overflow of comics. Its like trying to collect Star Wars figures; there's an abundance of them. If the market is flooded by individual issues, then its hard to have any notion you're buying entertainment AND an investment. A first appearance of a new, popular character is basically worth $.50, because that's where you can get the issue at the next comic con. The Big2 get their money, so overproducing won't effect them further.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I have to say, it is something off putting about it. Sure I buy floppies for my own entertainment, but they're also collectibles. DVDs, CDs, they aren't a part of series or collection (despite trilogies). Comics are more like baseball cards. You buy them for the entertainment, but also as an investment.

One of my issues with DC & Marvel right now is the overflow of comics. Its like trying to collect Star Wars figures; there's an abundance of them. If the market is flooded by individual issues, then its hard to have any notion you're buying entertainment AND an investment. A first appearance of a new, popular character is basically worth $.50, because that's where you can get the issue at the next comic con. The Big2 get their money, so overproducing won't effect them further.

M
    I'm confused. Do you think the industry should print less than the market can bare so that an individual issue will retain collectibility? The publisher doesn't see any of the appreciated value of that book and it prevents it from getting in as many hands as possible. And how are they overproducing? LCS's aren't having issues they didn't pay for shoved down their throats. In fact print runs routinely sell out because they under estimated demand (or wanted to create buzz by saying the book sold out) Should they order less to inflate the value of the books?

Collectibilty is almost always an accident. It can't be manufactured. It results from something having an unexpected and enduring popularity. When we say we want collectibles the industry laughs and sells us the only thing they have ever sold us, product.
  • Options

Matt said:

M
    I'm confused. Do you think the industry should print less than the market can bare so that an individual issue will retain collectibility? The publisher doesn't see any of the appreciated value of that book and it prevents it from getting in as many hands as possible. And how are they overproducing? LCS's aren't having issues they didn't pay for shoved down their throats. In fact print runs routinely sell out because they under estimated demand (or wanted to create buzz by saying the book sold out) Should they order less to inflate the value of the books?

Collectibilty is almost always an accident. It can't be manufactured. It results from something having an unexpected and enduring popularity. When we say we want collectibles the industry laughs and sells us the only thing they have ever sold us, product.
    I think they shouldn't have a high supply for the possible high demand. I look at my collection and see at least 25% could be recollected by scavenging the $.50-$1 bins at Comic Cons. I see multiple copies of current stuff reduced also.

I know the companies don't make anything on the resale, so they overproduce in the beginning to get their money. It sours me the chances of comics I bought within the last 10 years of having any real value like early issues of Batman, Superman, Spider-man, etc is nil. Part of the allure I had for getting comics initially was that I had an asset.

If my collection could never really be worth anything or always less then I paid for it, why keep them. Why not have a NetFloppies where I can get stuff in the mail & send it back after reading them?

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

If my collection could never really be worth anything or always less then I paid for it, why keep them. Why not have a NetFloppies where I can get stuff in the mail & send it back after reading them?

M

I would totally subscribe to that.
  • Options

Matt said:

M

I've actually stopped buying DVDs because I don't have a place to keep more & chances are it'll be a long time until I get a second viewing. Luckily, Netflix is there!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

M

I've actually stopped buying DVDs because I don't have a place to keep more & chances are it'll be a long time until I get a second viewing. Luckily, Netflix is there!

M
    Marvel kind of has this with the Marvel Unlimited app. Basically, for $60 a year or, I think, 12.00 a month, you have access to a pretty large (but shamefully incomplete) library of their books digitally. The user interface is awful though, which is the only reason I don't subscribe. The books are also at least 6 months old, which turns a lot of people off, but I have books that I'm 5-10 issue behind on so it doesn't bother me.

Still, if there was a trade-sharing network (I think floppies would get destroyed) I'd really be into that.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Matt said:

M

So would I. Or maybe a library of collected works, omnibuses and graphic novels to check out and return when done, like Netflix's dvd program.

Netflix has totally changed my viewing habits and DVD collection sizes as well. The Marvel Unlimited model however is a very bold and progressive idea, but again, as with Netflix, nobody is borrowing the titles from me and I still enjoy the floppies.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

Matt said:

M

I think they shouldn't have a high supply for the possible high demand. I look at my collection and see at least 25% could be recollected by scavenging the $.50-$1 bins at Comic Cons. I see multiple copies of current stuff reduced also.

I know the companies don't make anything on the resale, so they overproduce in the beginning to get their money. It sours me the chances of comics I bought within the last 10 years of having any real value like early issues of Batman, Superman, Spider-man, etc is nil. Part of the allure I had for getting comics initially was that I had an asset.

M
    I worked at a comic shop from 1990-95—the speculator boom and bust. We constantly had people coming in looking to “invest” in comics. We always strongly advised them (and all our customers) to only buy what they enjoyed reading, because figuring out which new comics might possibly maybe one day if you’re extremely lucky become significantly valuable was a total crapshoot.

A collection not worth anything? That’s the way it was in the Golden Age. Comics were considered by most to be disposable entertainment. Most kids traded them amongst their friends until their moms donated them to a paper drive or they got too worn and were tossed out (or burned them for being evil—but mostly they were just thrown away). That’s the only reason they’re worth anything today. If kids back then bagged and boarded and hoarded their comics like we do today, you’d have very few books worth three figures, much less five or six.

Personally, I don’t care if my books go up in value. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve made some decent money by selling off stuff over the years—though not nearly as much as I’ve spent. As long as I get a good book, that’s all the value I need. The only reason I haven’t switched to digital yet is that I already spend so much time on the computer with work. I need a break from it, and I find reading from paper a lot easier on my eyes.

My local library does have a pretty decent graphic novel collection now, and I’ve taken advantage of it from time to time.
  • Options

The only reason I haven’t switched to digital yet is that I already spend so much time on the computer with work. I need a break from it, and I find reading from paper a lot easier on my eyes.

I have to agree with you. I am a video editor by trade and the less I can stare at a computer screen, the better my old eyes feel at the end of the day. I can actually relax in the "study" with a book instead of a $300 ipad or clicking on a mouse to watch a comic...

I'm also kinda "old school" and while I can appreciate the idea of keeping the books stored and safe while I travel with the ipad/iphone/device to read new stuff, I'm actually more into back issues and tpb's these days.

My local library does have a pretty decent graphic novel collection now, and I’ve taken advantage of it from time to time.

I need to look into this option...
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Just getting to this (still pre-Fan Expo listening,haha):
    QUANTUM AND WOODY: As I read this, I thought "This might be my comic of the month!" But...the ending let me down. Why end the comic without showing why they got costumes? That's decompression....LOW BUY.
    BATMAN 66: I liked it a bit, but thought it could've been better (artwork, coloring, and writing). There were some funny parts so, it was cool. However, I am looking forward the next issues. Another LOW BUY.
    SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN: BORROW...it was somewhat confusing to me and the art wasn't that good. There were some funny parts, but wow, I totally disagreed with you guys. Maybe I was in a bad mood when I read it.
    SATELLITE SAM: Hmm...the dialogue was a bit confusing but the artwork was great. But as Pants said, the early TV era references were cool. BORROW for me.
    TRINITY WAR: like Jamie, I'm only reading the JL/JLA/JLD books, plus Pandora but I've been impressed with the story so far. LOW BUY.
    MUDDLE-THE-MURD: Yayy! Good job, Murd!