Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 Comicon Video

Here's the footage seen at Comicon. Check it out before it gets removed from Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1McyAUfjQzQ#at=11

Comments

• NO JAMIE FOX, WHY DID YOU DO THIS!
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Really? That is how they are going say Electro got his powers?
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    So, it looks like they gave Max Dillon the Edward Nigma a la Batman Forever makeover with dialogue & scenes from Raimi's Spider-man 2.

M
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    I'm up to give it a chance. If the character has a history with Spider-Man prior to getting his powers, and therefore has more reason to first try to emulate/compete with, and then maybe later fight with or try to destroy Spider-Man, that works. It makes him a parallel person having (and likely failing at) learning the lesson that 'with great power comes great responsibility'. Electro, who is seems is motivated more by a desire for fame and glory than for justice and duty, ends up becoming the kind of person Spider-Man needs to stop.

The comic origin may have worked for the comics, but (at least judging by the Wikipedia description, I have not read these issues myself) the comics origin built over a number of appearances in different books, and interactions with other established costumed heroes and villains. There is probably not time for that in a 2 hour movie, in a world where the only other powered people seem to be Spider-Man and the Lizard.

For reference, here is how the Wiki describes his origin:
    While Maxwell Dillon, an electrical engineer and lineman, was repairing a power line, a freak lightning accident caused a mutagenic change that transformed him into a living electrical capacitor. His powers were initially weak, so he spent some time stealing electrical equipment from Stark Industries to charge himself. During this time, he was approached by Magneto, who considered him a potential recruit for his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, claiming that Dillon's power rivaled his own, but Dillon refused. The following day, Dillon was confronted by a small-time thug from whom he had been borrowing money to pay for the machinery he had needed. When the thug drew a gun on him because he had not paid back the money yet, he responded by shooting a blast of lightning through the thug's chest- the first time Dillon ever killed anybody.

Soon taking the name Electro, he turned to a life of a professional criminal, his first victim being J. Jonah Jameson. Electro broke into the Daily Bugle Building and stole from Jameson's safe right in front of him. Jameson accused Spider-Man of being an alternate identity of Electro, prompting Spider-Man to prove the publisher wrong. During their first ever confrontation, Electro defeated Spider-Man using his electrically charged touch. Spider-Man eventually used a fire hose to short-circuit Electro while wearing rubber gloves to protect himself.
    So, bottom line, I am game to give it a chance.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited August 2013
    Ultimate Electro:
    In the Ultimate Marvel universe, Electro has been reimagined with powers as a product of bioengineering. Unlike his mainstream counterpart, Electro is bald, wears a black leather outfit, and has some grotesque burn scars. As a result of experimentation by Justin Hammer, Max Dillon is given the power to control and create electricity. He is sold by Hammer to the Kingpin in exchange for a real estate development contract. When Spider-Man breaks into the Kingpin's office, Electro electrocutes him and he, the Enforcers, and Fisk unmask him, revealing him to be a teenager. They decide to throw him out a window. Spider-Man returns and defeats him. His defeat changes Electro's powers, making him reach a more powerful blue electrified form during which he can fly and perform greater feats.
  • It will just really suck to have another Spider-Man movie with a bad villain. The lizard was beyond boring in the first movie.
    WetRats said:

Ultimate Electro:

In the Ultimate Marvel universe, Electro has been reimagined with powers as a product of bioengineering. Unlike his mainstream counterpart, Electro is bald, wears a black leather outfit, and has some grotesque burn scars. As a result of experimentation by Justin Hammer, Max Dillon is given the power to control and create electricity. He is sold by Hammer to the Kingpin in exchange for a real estate development contract. When Spider-Man breaks into the Kingpin's office, Electro electrocutes him and he, the Enforcers, and Fisk unmask him, revealing him to be a teenager. They decide to throw him out a window. Spider-Man returns and defeats him. His defeat changes Electro's powers, making him reach a more powerful blue electrified form during which he can fly and perform greater feats.
    ...and came to find out LiveWire, despite being from another 'universe' was his twin sister and had a voice like Lori Petty!

M
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

...and came to find out LiveWire, despite being from another 'universe' was his twin sister and had a voice like Lori Petty!

M

mmm... Lori Petty... :x
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited August 2013
    Am I the only one that enjoyed the video? Sheesh.

Honest and sincere question: for those of you that don't like movie adaptation changes and such, are you unable to detach yourself from different incarnations of characters you are familiar with? I think the same happens in comics (New 52 and Superior Spider-Man, for example).
    edited August 2013
    I can only answer for myself; no I have no problems detaching the different incarnations. I posted my initial reaction to what I saw. So far (much like with the first Amazing Spider-man) I haven't seen anything that makes me interested in the movie (aside from Emma Stone...but still not enough to really care about the movie.) The movie's dialogue reminds me the handful of issues of Ultimate Spider-man I tried to read. Those comics never really did anything for me either.

NOW, if Black Cat is played by Jazy Berlin (google her IMDb for yourselves) then yes, I would be rushing to see it.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/151041_493108134043475_1631544093_n.jpg

M
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    fredzilla said:

Am I the only one that enjoyed the video? Sheesh.

Honest and sincere question: for those of you that don't like movie adaptation changes and such, are you unable to detach yourself from different incarnations of characters you are familiar with? I think the same happens in comics (New 52 and Superior Spider-Man, for example).

It not a matter of detaching myself from the comic book character and excepting the changes the movie producers made, it is this origin looks bad to the point of laughable. Although I am judging it solely on what I saw in the movie clip, so I will still watch the movie. If I am wrong about the origin than great I'll be happy but if I am right this could easily ruin the movie for me.
  • JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Electro still looks better than that awful Green Goblin getup worn by Willem Defoe!
  • It sure is a rather tame presentation reel, but I still like Garfield's Spidey. BTW, anyone see the reel for Days of Future Past?