Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1404 - Comic Talk

We touch on many topics in this episode including the announcement of a Flash TV series, catching up on Secret Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor: God of Thunder, and Shane's thoughts on the animated 'Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox' DVD. We also have some Doctor Who talk on the casting of the 12th Doctor. (58:18)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    - I agree with Jamie D in that GotG is different...but still good. I miss some of the characters though(Bug, Cosmo, etc). When DnA were writing the book I really wanted to see the team interact with the heroes on earth. Now that Iron Man has joined and the Guardians are protecting the planet I wish it was like before when they were off doing their own thing. I don't know why! .

- I haven't warmed up to the new (kid)Nova yet..I really miss the Rider character.

- Great choice for the new Doctor.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Thanks for all the CofG, JL & Flash return to tv talk. As for Dr. Who, I don't have BBC America & the last time I cared about him he was on PBS. I'm looking forward to more comic talk in the week.

Matthew

PS
    How come the lag on Fables?
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    mguy1977 said:

Thanks for all the CofG, JL & Flash return to tv talk. As for Dr. Who, I don't have BBC America & the last time I cared about him he was on PBS. I'm looking forward to more comic talk in the week.

Matthew

PS
    How come the lag on Fables?

just keeps being put on the bottom of the pile, no real reason
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Thanks Jamie. I'm just started the tpb wait for Fables/Fairest & it is comic torture. Eagerly waiting Dec. for the next volume. I was wondering if any of the geeks had any highlights to share for the tradewaiters out there.

Matthew
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm hoping the success of the current GotG series and the upcoming movie means that Marvel will eventually put the previous (post-Annihilation) series back in print. I was late to the party on that one and the trades are spendy now because Marvel let them go out of print.

And while I'm glad to hear that things have been starting to turn around a bit on what DC's doing with Shazam, I still can't work up much interest to check him out because I was so turned off by those first couple of chapters. For now and the foreseeable future, my (modern era) Captain Marvel is Carol Danvers. I love what Kelly Sue DeConnick has been doing on that book, and the crossover with Avengers Assemble, The Enemy Within, was really good. Genuinely affecting ending on that one, and I'm really looking forward to seeing where she takes Catol next.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

I'm hoping the success of the current GotG series and the upcoming movie means that Marvel will eventually put the previous (post-Annihilation) series back in print. I was late to the party on that one and the trades are spendy now because Marvel let them go out of print.

And while I'm glad to hear that things have been starting to turn around a bit on what DC's doing with Shazam, I still can't work up much interest to check him out because I was so turned off by those first couple of chapters. For now and the foreseeable future, my (modern era) Captain Marvel is Carol Danvers. I love what Kelly Sue DeConnick has been doing on that book, and the crossover with Avengers Assemble, The Enemy Within, was really good. Genuinely affecting ending on that one, and I'm really looking forward to seeing where she takes Catol next.

What he said.
  • Options
    I've been reading the past few Captain Marvel issues that tie in with Avengers Assemble, and I just can't warm up to Carol Danvers in the role... or the story. I'd prefer to see her back in the Ms Marvel role, and to bring back the previous Captain Marvel. Any of them.

I know there's a lot of fan acclaim for DeConnick's writing, but, seriously, I'm just not seeing why. It ain't terrible, but I'm not getting anything really noteworthy out of it either.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Boys. You talked about a couple of things that are near and dear to me.

I've spread my love for Thor, God of Thunder all over these forums. I have to say that I didn't like the Guice fill in issue. After the stellar work he did on Captain America and Winter Soldier, I felt his effort on Thor, GoT was sub-par and such a visual speed bump that it left a very bad taste in my mouth. Thankfully, Ribic was back the next issue and the offending Guice issue was quickly forgotten.

Similarly, I've spread my disdain for the New52 SHAZAM (shudder) all over these forums. I HATED the Super-Billy take before Flashpoint. That HATE has only intensified with the introduction of Super-Billy Douchebag.

i'm not going to rant. i'm not going to rant. i'm not going to rant. i'm not going to rant.
  • Options
    I love the new Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova series, but the previous stuff was great also. Pants, I hope you go back and read some of the past Annihilation stuff and past series based on these characters.

I am totally into Trinity War. Seems like an intense and concise story so far. I still love Earth 2. It might not be the Justice Society that I love of the past, but I am really enjoying this new series.

I agree, Shane, that the animation on Flashpoint Paradox is a lot more anime than it is DC style. The story was still very well done, incorporating a lot of the tie-ins even if just briefly. Pandora did not appear in this movie (but I have to say that her comic series so far is surprisingly good). When you watch Flashpoint Paradox, watch past the credits for a 5 second scene that helps lead into the next animated movie.
  • Options
    Oops. Forgot to mention that the Peter Capaldi announcement made me very happy.
  • Options

I've been reading the past few Captain Marvel issues that tie in with Avengers Assemble, and I just can't warm up to Carol Danvers in the role... or the story. I'd prefer to see her back in the Ms Marvel role, and to bring back the previous Captain Marvel. Any of them.

See, I think making Carol Ms. Marvel again would be a huge demotion and a slap in the face, equal in my eyes to busting Babs Gordon back down to Batgirl from Oracle (remember, Batman went to Oracle for help, not the other way around). Carol taking the role and name of Captain Marvel seems like a logical progression in her character growth and a way to honor her friend and mentor. She's probably the only one since Mar-Vell that I think earns the title naturally (and yes, I include Genis in that list since his entire existence was pretty much a retcon).
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    rebis said:

I don't know if this has really been discussed, but does anyone think this may have a negative impact on Dr. Who to the American audience? What I mean is that I think part of the success of Dr. Who is the fact that the last two doctors were young, good looking men. But does anyone think that the new "older" Doctor is going to turn off the female Whovians in America (and perhaps the UK)? Especially since women's historical view of men is simply as sex objects...

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Peter Capaldi is sexy.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

rebis said:

I don't know if this has really been discussed, but does anyone think this may have a negative impact on Dr. Who to the American audience? What I mean is that I think part of the success of Dr. Who is the fact that the last two doctors were young, good looking men. But does anyone think that the new "older" Doctor is going to turn off the female Whovians in America (and perhaps the UK)? Especially since women's historical view of men is simply as sex objects...
    My wife is disappointed that the new Dr. is an "old" guy. She liked the fauxmace of new Who. I was quite tired of it.
    I don't know if this small sample proves anything. It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of female geeks.

Peter Capaldi is sexy.

Dead sexy, baby!
  • Options

See, I think making Carol Ms. Marvel again would be a huge demotion and a slap in the face, equal in my eyes to busting Babs Gordon back down to Batgirl from Oracle (remember, Batman went to Oracle for help, not the other way around). Carol taking the role and name of Captain Marvel seems like a logical progression in her character growth and a way to honor her friend and mentor. She's probably the only one since Mar-Vell that I think earns the title naturally (and yes, I include Genis in that list since his entire existence was pretty much a retcon).
    I don't see returning Carol to the Ms Marvel as a demotion at all; I see it as returning her to her former glory. She had a better costume, for one thing; I really do not like the one she's sporting now. And she was a better character.

Genis, in my opinion, was a pretty good substitute for Mar-Vell; I know that I enjoyed his series, written by Peter David, very much, and he was an interesting character, even if he wasn't quite the same caliber as Mar-Vell. But I'd even like the return of the name to Monica Rambeau more than I like Danvers in the role. Carol as Captain Marvel just doesn't look or feel right.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

rebis said:

I can't speak for the women, but I'm actually glad to see the Doctor showing some age again. While I've enjoyed both Matt Smith and David Tennant in the role, it always bothered me that he seemed to be getting progressively younger. A little bit of age would give him just a bit more gravity in his stories. I don't yet know if I'll like Capaldi in the role, but I'm willing to give him a chance... and hope that he can channel a little of William Hartnell in his portrayal.
  • Options

I don't see returning Carol to the Ms Marvel as a demotion at all; I see it as returning her to her former glory. She had a better costume, for one thing; I really do not like the one she's sporting now. And she was a better character.

Genis, in my opinion, was a pretty good substitute for Mar-Vell; I know that I enjoyed his series, written by Peter David, very much, and he was an interesting character, even if he wasn't quite the same caliber as Mar-Vell. But I'd even like the return of the name to Monica Rambeau more than I like Danvers in the role. Carol as Captain Marvel just doesn't look or feel right.
    Agree 100%.
  • Options
    I am super-excited to hear of a Doctor Who spotlight episode. As a long-time Whovian, I would sacrifice my house to be in a position to participate. I actually think this should at least be two-parter.

Pants made a passing comment about the controversy about Capaldi being the 12th or the 13th incarnation. The sticking point is extremely important to long-time Who-Fans for two reasons:

The Valeyard -- A distilation of the Doctor's dark side from between his 12th and final incarnation. Fans have debated whether the doctor ever "turns evil" in the future and takes the name Valeyard or if this was purely a Matrix creation, but Trial of the Time Lord gave the impression the Valeyard was active outside of that story, so Capaldi being the 13th incarnation makes a Valeyard appearance much more likely.

Limited regenerations -- A Time Lord can regenerate 12 times, maximum so Capaldi being the 13th incarnation means the Doctor is out of regenerations. While never defined, the series stated the time lords has the means of bestowing additional sets of regenerations, but you have to assume they are lost with Gallifrey. The Master came up with creative ways of prolonging his last regeneration. I fully expect Moffat and team to find a way to extend the doctor behind 13, but I think its going to be epic and whether or not Capaldi is the 13th incarnation is the difference between that being 6 years away or 3 years away.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I like the costume (it's certainly the most practical thing she has worn thus far), but if they changed it, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, either. I actually like her original the best, and both Moonstone's run as the Dark Avengers Ms. Marvel and the animated version of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes both show that that design can work in the modern era. But I don't mind the current one (though I'm not a big fan of the helmet and am glad it is used sparingly).

I just want her to keep the name most of all. And I disagree that she was a better character before. She has always been a good character (despite some poor writing decisions in the early 80s)... she just got better under the pens of Brian Reed and Kelly Sue DeConnick. I don't see KS's run as invalidating any past writers' input (particularly Brian Reed), but instead building off of it.

But we can agree to disagree. ;)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I like the helmet and the new costume. As far the name, I still call her Ms. Marvel at times but I always thought Genis and Carol were the only logical inheritors of the Captain Marvel name.

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited August 2013
    Great episode, guys. I hope sometime relatively soon, maybe once some of you catch up in your reading, you'll do some sort of an in depth "Marvel NOW recap" before wave two hits. I thought the whole initiative was dubious at first, but I'm currently enjoying more Marvel titles than I have in many years. Either way, it was great to hear you guys talk about Thor and GotG. I agree with the sentiments expressed. Aaron's Thor is indeed godly, and Bendis's GotG is okay and has a charm of its own (though I much prefer the Abnett, Lanning, and Pelletier run). If you're enjoying Ribic on Thor, look into the issues of Uncanny X-Force he drew, as well as a Submariner mini-series from several years ago. His work on Thor is the best work of his career, but his earlier stuff is still very, very good.