Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1212 Talkback: Off the Racks on Fairest, Avengers Assemble and The Manhattan Projects

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited April 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
After Pants gives his recap on Emerald City Comicon, we review some recent books - specifically Fairest #1 from Vertigo, Avengers Assemble #1 from Marvel and The Manhattan Projects #1 from Image. (1:17:06)

Listen here.

Comments

• Listening to this episode, right this second :). You guys keep me entertained while I slave away in the "MINES OF DESIGN" ! I am a graphic designing so I am in front of a computer all day long lol, but you CGS guys make working at a computer a lot better.

Thanks
  • Also see you guys at HEROS CON!
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited April 2012
    Well-played, Adam! I figured out of the three, the Captain Thunder question would be the one you'd be most likely to get, and I almost didn't use it, but I figured that either: A.) you'd know it, and rather definitively at that; or B.) you wouldn't know it, but you'd struggle though it and end up getting most or all of it through sheer deductive reasoning. Either way, it'd be good radio. Anyway it would feel like cheating if I didn't try to pitch at least one question directly through your strike zone.

Of course I would have liked to have won, but I was too busy being impressed to feel bad about losing!
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The Manhattan Projects was fantastic! Just the sort of thing i'd expect from Hickman. I think the cover is actually pretty awesome and really stands out as something different.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The Manhattan Projects somehow avoided my notice altogether. Sounds like I need to correct that. Though, honestly, I'm underread in a lot of Hickman's work. I always enjoy it when I do read it, I just always mean to get around to it in trade and then I forget. When this semester ends, I'll have to see what the library system here can provide me.

I did read Avengers Assemble #1, but only because local music/pop culture chain Newbury Comics had their own branded cover and I liked that so I figured I'd give the book a shot. Decent, but I agree that it seemed pretty extraneous as Avengers books go. The movie team is cool and all, but I prefer the teams with more esoteric make-ups like the current New Avengers roster or Remender's Secret Avengers team. Maybe they're not necessarily Avenger-y as this roster, but I like seeing such different characters interact.
  • ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I really enjoyed this episode! It is nice to hear about some indie/creator stuff. I was really glad you guys mentioned the paper/quality issue with Fairest. That bugged the hell out of me and the fact that it was basically a bait and switch also really soured me on it.
  • KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Pants, you kept saying "that's my fault for not knowing that," but it shouldn't be your fault. You shouldn't need to read Previews or interviews or any sort of stuff outside of the comic book to know what you're getting. I got Fairest as part of the DCBS deal, but I probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise for the same reasons as Murd. I read the first... I think the first trade maybe the second. I plan to read more, but I'll hold off on this series until I get to that point in the main Fables story (other than the first few issues that were part of the DCBS bundle)

Also, in my "Listeners Off-The-Rack" thread, I griped about how what Hulk we get is always so inconsistent and here we go again. This Hulk was not the same Hulk that shows up in his own book. The Hulk in his own book is still big and green, but he speaks in normal sentences and was smarter than portrayed in this book. I just want to know who the freaking Hulk is, that's all. And Bagley has worked with Bendis since coming back from DC on their creator owned series, Brilliant. I read the first issue of it and it was OK. Nothing that really wowed me all that much.

Also, I loved Manhattan Projects. I don't have anything else to say about it that wasn't already said.
  • ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I've gone back to re-read Manhattan Projects a couple times and I kind of enjoy it less each time, I also can't get a strange connection in my brain from relating the art to the old Nickelodeon cartoon Rugrats. I have gone from overly enthusiastic to about average in my excitement for #2. I may just wait for the trade since his stuff kind of reads better that way anyhow.
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Adam
    There is a graphic novel of Richard Feynman's life which my son gave me for Christman and it is very good indeed.
    http://www.amazon.com/Feynman-Jim-Ottaviani/dp/1596432594/
    He was an absolutely fascinating human being.
    which my son gave me for Christman
    We exchange presents for Pants now?
    It's a special day in our house. The feast of the Christman with Turkey and none of the trimmings, or sauces, or flavours. Sigh.

By a weird coincidence we always give my son a pair of Pants hidden in one of his gifts each year.
    It's an ancient family joke.
    Is it a bacon-wrapped Turkey? Because I could go for that.
    No, we keep a traditional Christman table here.
    And each year we pin the ceremonial knee-high white socks to the mantel.
    We are aware of more modern schools of Christmananity but we have no truck with them.
  • PantsPants Posts: 567
    I'm always amazed when I meet people who listen to our show. I'm in Chicago at C2E2 saying hi to inker Norm Rapmund when a gentleman asks me if I've seen Fairest #2 yet. Turns out it's colorist Andrew Dalhouse who colors Fairest. He heard us talking on the show about the coloring and paper for the first issue.
  • Adam
    There is a graphic novel of Richard Feynman's life which my son gave me for Christman and it is very good indeed.
    http://www.amazon.com/Feynman-Jim-Ottaviani/dp/1596432594/
    He was an absolutely fascinating human being.
    Thank you, Eamonn. Until I saw him mentioned in this comic and then did a bit of cursory follow-up research on him, Feynman had never been more than a Jeopardy! answer to me, and I'd like to learn more about him.

from the creators Q&A pdf on the amazon page:
    For the people reading this Q&A who haven’t heard of Richard Feynman: why should they be interested?
    Jim Ottaviani: So leave aside the Nobel Prize, and that he taught one of the most influential courses in physics of the 20th century. Leave aside his work on the Manhattan Project and on the investigation of the Challenger disaster. Leave aside the best-selling books and the
    bongo playing. He did those things, but he also worked hard to live an interesting life, and get the full measure of his time on earth. That meant making time for travel, family, art, shenanigans, and telling stories. Put it all together and that’s genius.

Interestingly (to me) the Amazon page shows that Feynman if frequently bought with another graphic novel that I'm reading at the moment about another great thinker of the last century:
    http://www.amazon.com/Logicomix-An-Epic-Search-Truth/dp/1596914521/