Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

OT: iPod Problems

Just having a problem with my iPod and looking for some advice. Some of the internet guides have been hopeless.

I have a 160 GB iPod Classic and windows is asking to scan it for errors whenever I plug it in to my computer. I decline and try to sync but the iPod reads as connected but it doesn't appear in iTunes but it appears in 'My Computer'. I have previously run the scan function and it has taken between 1 1/2 and 2 days to scan and fix errors but the problems occur again, usually after I troubles un-syncing my iPod from my computer (either from iTunes not responding or when I try to eject it refuses and says that another program is still reading the iPod.

Any help would be great because I don't want to have to spend another 2 days scanning the iPod and I want it to sync properly.

Comments

• Have you attempted a soft or hard reset of the ipod. Hopefully you have everything on the ipod backed up because it sounds like you need to reset.
  • ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    The classics actually have a small hard drive in them, unlike the rest of the lines which are solid state. Most likely your drive is dying physically (maybe from shock/drop, worn bearings, bad sectors, head crash, etc.) You can get replacement drives and DIY, or have it fixed by Apple. It sounds to me like that is your case here, but try a full reset and see, it could just be fubar'ed and fixable but I'd say the chances are slim.
  • My 160GB ipod does the same thing. I've had this issue for at least the past year or so. All I do is "x" out (cancel) and it loads right up. I never accepted the scan nor declined it.
  • The classics actually have a small hard drive in them, unlike the rest of the lines which are solid state. Most likely your drive is dying physically (maybe from shock/drop, worn bearings, bad sectors, head crash, etc.) You can get replacement drives and DIY, or have it fixed by Apple. It sounds to me like that is your case here, but try a full reset and see, it could just be fubar'ed and fixable but I'd say the chances are slim.
    I have dropped it a few times. How much does it cost for apple to repair it usually?
    Have you attempted a soft or hard reset of the ipod. Hopefully you have everything on the ipod backed up because it sounds like you need to reset.
    Also, how do you do a hard or soft reset? I've tried restoring through iTunes and I have reset by pressing the action and menu buttons at the same time. Is there another way?

• Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Because your iPod is in fact a hard drive, alternatively you could check it with 3rd party drive utility software. I've used Alsoft's Diskwarrior (a Mac program) to repair my iPod. I'm sure there are comparable PC programs available.