Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ultimate Universe: Cataclysm - Ultimate Universe No Mor-- Wait A Second...

According to Bleeding Cool and Comic Book Resources, Marvel is doing away with (at least that's the perception) the Ultimate Universe. Instead of bitching and moaning about how Marvel is destroying something I have enjoyed throughout the years and how this is the final straw and I'm never buying another comic from them again, I just want to say thank you for such a fun ride. Ultimate Spider-Man is what cemented my journey back into comics and I was finally able to pick up a #1 at the Denver Comic Con '13. I've enjoyed nearly all of the books and they will continue to bring me much joy.

Comments

• Options
    I read the first trade for Ultimate Spider-Man 'way back when, and, as a result, kept a wide berth away from the Ultimate Marvel books ever since. (My initial impression of that first Ultimate Spider-Man story was, "Gee -- Lee and Ditko told the same story, and managed to get it done in eleven pages!")

For some reason that I can't really define, the upcoming Cataclysm storyline is the first one to really draw my interest -- and I can't explain why. I'm considering it, but haven't yet committed.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited August 2013
    But for me, all of the '90s Spider-Man that I read with its Clone Saga, Peter's Parents, and Maximum Carnage, USM was such a breath of fresh air.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

But for me, all of the '90s Spider-Man that I read with its Clone Saga, Peter's Parents, and Maximum Carnage, USM was such a breath of fresh air.

Well, after that triumvirate of horror, I can well understand why you found it so!
  • Options
    Yes, yes, and yes. Great insight.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I can't say I bought "everything" the Ultimate universe put out, but I did enjoy what I read.

The Ultimates was a great twist on the Avengers team, for example. I also liked some of the characters created specifically in the Ultimate Universe like Peter Parker's expy clone Spider-Girl (here's hoping she survives or maybe universe hops).

With a name like Cataclysm, I'm hoping it's not an all-inclusive ending where everyone dies...some characters were good enough to hop over to the 616 universe.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I'm interested in seeing how it plays out, and possibly naively optimistic that it will end well.

And sad. Ultimate Spider-man is my Spider-man.......even when he was Donald Glover
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    My son got into superhero comics because of Ultimate Spider-Man. It was definitely his Spidey.

(after he turned 18 and started art school he went all Indie though)
  • Options
    Krescan said:

I'm interested in seeing how it plays out, and possibly naively optimistic that it will end well.

Well, if Bendis is penning or heading up the final issues, I think we're in for a disappointing end. Zing! #-o
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Krescan said:

Well, if Bendis is penning or heading up the final issues, I think we're in for a disappointing end. Zing! #-o
    Ah but if it's the end he won't be able to use it a stepping stone to the next Ultimate storyline

Told you I was naive

That said I really like Bendis' work. I'm now an occasional X-men fan where I hadn't been for a long time.
  • Options
    Even if the Ultimate Universe is coming to an end I do not think Ultimate Spider-Man is coming to an end. The title is the only Ultimate book that sells fairly well. I think sometimes we as comic book fans can get to caught up in the day to day of the publishing stuff, the truth is Ultimate Marvel could be moving to a whole new planet. There is nothing set in stone saying the imprint is shutting down. Even without the Ultimate titles Miles will probably shuffle into 616 continuity.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    fredzilla said:

According to Bleeding Cool and Comic Book Resources, Marvel is doing away with (at least that's the perception) the Ultimate Universe. Instead of bitching and moaning about how Marvel is destroying something I have enjoyed throughout the years and how this is the final straw and I'm never buying another comic from them again, I just want to say thank you for such a fun ride. Ultimate Spider-Man is what cemented my journey back into comics and I was finally able to pick up a #1 at the Denver Comic Con '13. I've enjoyed nearly all of the books and they will continue to bring me much joy.

Whaaaat. Why? I use to loooooce ultimate Spider-Man (got out of it for financial reasons, not quality)
  • Options
    I haven't read any Ultimate books since "The Death of Spider-man" storyline, but this does still sadden me. The Ultimate line, and USM especially were my gateway back into comics. The lure of an updated, clean continuity was enough to bring me in and before I knew it I was buying 20 books a month. So, if this is the end, thank you Marvel for what was, in 2000, one of the most exciting and revolutionary mainstream projects in comics.
  • Options
    beng5007beng5007 Posts: 41
    Ultimate Universe was great fun, although I haven't read much of it in a while. Ultimate Marvel to my mind also revolutionized the trade paperback market. It was with the Ultimate books where Marvel really perfected the trade market. This will make me go back and buy the trades I missed. Too bad, but probably time.
  • Options
    Krescan said:

Ah but if it's the end he won't be able to use it a stepping stone to the next Ultimate storyline

Told you I was naive

That said I really like Bendis' work. I'm now an occasional X-men fan where I hadn't been for a long time.

I fell in love with his work with Ultimate Spider-Man and the Daredevil. I think he's a fantastic writer when he's on point (like the two titles above). I enjoyed a lot of his Avengers run as well. However, House of M stunk like the stank of a 1,000 head of cattle feed lot (if you've ever driven by one or spent any time in Greely, CO you'll know what I'm talking about). I felt cheated at the end of Secret Invasion. I decided that I would only buy monthly titles that had Bendis' name on it and stay away from the events. I feel that I can razz him a bit because I've enjoyed his USM and DD work so much. It's all in good fun. I still have much respect and love for his abilities.
  • Options
    This was posted in the comiXology Sales thread, but if you're curious about any of the new Ultimate Comics titles (Spider-Man, X-Men, & Ultimates), you can pick up each book for $0.99 until 11:00 EST. I recommend all of the titles if you're at all interested.

• Options

Even if the Ultimate Universe is coming to an end I do not think Ultimate Spider-Man is coming to an end. The title is the only Ultimate book that sells fairly well. I think sometimes we as comic book fans can get to caught up in the day to day of the publishing stuff, the truth is Ultimate Marvel could be moving to a whole new planet. There is nothing set in stone saying the imprint is shutting down. Even without the Ultimate titles Miles will probably shuffle into 616 continuity.

I think both articles confirm this (although I don't know if it's confirmed by Marvel). It looks as though Spidey will make the jump to the 616 and it's likely the rest of the characters' fate is TBD. I know there was a lot of outcry having U-Peter Parker die and Miles Morales take over, but I loooved the fact that a major character was a person of color and not relegated to a supporting slot.

They're characters in a fictional book. Sure, we grow attachments to them, but I was open to the changes they made because it's just fantasy. If we've learned anything over the past 80 years of funny books is that things aren't always permanent. And if you bring up the argument of Uncle Ben, sure he stayed dead, but every now and then we got a flashback, or "other side" tale. It's all good fun.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

I think both articles confirm this (although I don't know if it's confirmed by Marvel). It looks as though Spidey will make the jump to the 616 and it's likely the rest of the characters' fate is TBD. I know there was a lot of outcry having U-Peter Parker die and Miles Morales take over, but I loooved the fact that a major character was a person of color and not relegated to a supporting slot.

They're characters in a fictional book. Sure, we grow attachments to them, but I was open to the changes they made because it's just fantasy. If we've learned anything over the past 80 years of funny books is that things aren't always permanent. And if you bring up the argument of Uncle Ben, sure he stayed dead, but every now and then we got a flashback, or "other side" tale. It's all good fun.
    Sure. Peter dies in the Ultimate universe... But now Peter is really dead in the regular universe. So to me it's kinda messed up. Ya know?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Planeis said:

Sure. Peter dies in the Ultimate universe... But now Peter is really dead in the regular universe. So to me it's kinda messed up. Ya know?

Is he really dead though? I mean really really really really really really really dead? I can understand why Slott's run has upset so many fans, but I also know of the countless characters that have been "killed," yet are now alive in the universe. This is comics. As fans, we have 80 years of stories where characters have died only to be brought back through some continuity manipulation. Granted, that's a whole 'nother can o' worms...
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Unless you can find me a piece of text that say Ultimate Spider-Man is ending, or the Marvel Ultimate Universe is canceled, I don't buy it. Marvel is not stupid, they know people like Miles, they are not going to wreck that.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Unless you can find me a piece of text that say Ultimate Spider-Man is ending, or the Marvel Ultimate Universe is canceled, I don't buy it. Marvel is not stupid, they know people like Miles, they are not going to wreck that.

I believe the articles state that Miles will most likely make the jump to the 616. I agree with you though, until Marvel appears on the Today Show the morning UC: Cataclysm is released and spoils the series/issue, I will have some doubt. However, Marvel isn't going to wreck Miles? Allow me to quote the ghost of the 616 Peter Parker, "Yeah, right!"

Now, that's not to say that I don't think they will permanently get rid of Miles, I just think that they'll do what's going to make them money. If the Ultimate Universe is costing the Big Mouse money, even though USM is the universe's highest selling book, why not take what's best of the Ultimate Universe, that which is just keeping the universe afloat, and move it to the regular universe? That will free up two or three books that will then allow them to triple ship some select monthly titles. ~X( :D
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I don't mean this at all as a slam, but the 616 has become so "Ultimized" that the Ultimate Universe is no longer needed.

Bringing Miles, the most interesting and unique character to the regular universe is a good move, though. And maybe it gets us one step closer to seeing Donald Glover in the suit.

Besides "ultimate" is such a tired word.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Besides "ultimate" is such a tired word.

Great time to bring back "Exxtreme!"

Yeah, it has two x's. 'Cause it's extreme!
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Planeis said:

Is he really dead though? I mean really really really really really really really dead? I can understand why Slott's run has upset so many fans, but I also know of the countless characters that have been "killed," yet are now alive in the universe. This is comics. As fans, we have 80 years of stories where characters have died only to be brought back through some continuity manipulation. Granted, that's a whole 'nother can o' worms...
    Sure sure, I get it. He'll be back. But for how long? two years? 5 years? I feel lucky because I'm not a huge spiderman fan, but if, for instance, Clark Kent was gone from Superman comics for 3 years I'd be pretty crazed.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Sure sure, I get it. He'll be back. But for how long? two years? 5 years? I feel lucky because I'm not a huge spiderman fan, but if, for instance, Clark Kent was gone from Superman comics for 3 years I'd be pretty crazed.

Didn't that happen though with the "Return if the Supermen" storyline after Supes' death? I hear your frustration, but I believe Captain America was gone for at least 2 years, and we got some great stories out if it.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Planeis said:

fredzilla said:

He's as dead as Superman was. The seeds are all there for Peter's return if you're reading closely.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Bendis has said on his Tumblr that he is NOT ending the Ultimate Universe, no matter what websites are saying. Now, sales on the Ultimate books are WAY down (and they collapsed after Loeb's Ultimatum and the price hike), and I really can't see them coming back up, but maybe they give the Ultimate Universe a breather and bring it back in a while.

Still, the main reason they started it seems to no longer be needed: i.e. a way to create a bunch of trade paperbacks for the movie audience so that there would been books not bogged down with continuity.
  • Options
    Bendis has said he is doing something to the extent of an Ultimate Now on the word balloon podcast.
  • Options
    Here's a thought, Miles knows Peter. Since Doc Ock wiped Peter from his mind he would have no information about Miles.

Spider-Man saves Spider-Man!

That said if Miles is the only one that makes the jump I'm really going to miss Gwen, Aunt May, Mary Jane and Spider-woman from the ultimate universe.

And Colossus, and Hawkeye, and Kitty Pride, and Mach 2, and Thing, and Cap is pretty tough in the Ultimate universe (did you guys see what he did to that snake?) Thor is pretty interesting in the ultimate universe

now I'm sad again
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I don't mean this at all as a slam, but the 616 has become so "Ultimized" that the Ultimate Universe is no longer needed.

Yeah, this. The Ultimate Universe started as a really different sort of creature, but the regular Marvel U. kinda became the same thing after a while.

The only thing that the Ultimate Universe has over the regular right now is that characters die and stay dead, and time has moved forward. Let it go a little longer and those aspects will fall prey to the standards of comicdom, as well.