Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1408 Talkback: Previews

And once again it's time for Previews! We go through the August catalog for items shipping to stores starting in October. (1:05:33)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Four words: Paul. Pope. Battling. Boy.

I'm also getting the Paul Pope: Road to Battling Boy art book. Pulphope was a great book, if like me you enjoy learning about an artist’s process, and I expect this book will be as well.

And to wind up the Paul Pope love-fest, the Adventure Time: Sugary Shorts is a reprint collection of short stories. Pope’s story was done over a year ago. I’ll be getting this book when it comes out in softcover next spring. It’s got a lot of interesting artists besides Pope, and I love me some AT.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Great episode, gents.

Jamie, I was thinking of waiting for the Sandman Overture collection as well . . . but then I realized that JH Williams is the artist and he tends to do a LOT of double-page spreads. And I just can't see his beautiful artwork well enough when the tight binding of DC's trades and hardcovers prevent me from seeing what's down in the cracks (disgusting metaphor, I know). This is why I bought all of Promethea and his Batwoman work in single issues, because I need the full experience. But, who knows, maybe there won't be many double-page spreads in his Sandman stuff.

Murd, you're right to point out the Joe Kelly Deadpool Omnibus as a great product on the horizon. However, most of these stories already have been reprinted before. Marvel has put them out as a series of "Deadpool Classic" trades. The early stories with Ed McGuinness art are obviously worth reading. The series gets a little too weird for my taste after a while (all the stuff about aliens, different dimensions, and Deadpool being pegged by villains(?) as some sort of messiah figure), but I wouldn't ever say that the writing was bad. All of the two dozen or so scattered issues that I've read were all very thoughtful, high-quality stuff. Just not my taste all the time. But, again, love the early Kelly/McGuinness issues, and that first Nicieza/Madureira Deadpool mini-series as well.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Wow, for the first time I wasn't interested in ANY of your Off-The-Rack picks until I heard the Letter 44 pitch, so I will join along also. Just for that one...and it's only $1.
    I'm also getting less DC, less Marvel and MORE Image this month. So, maybe 10 DC comics, 10 Marvels and TEN (!) Image comics plus other assorted independent issues.
    Anyway, thanks for the episode. It got me ready for my order this month!
  • Options
    I'm very interested in the Imagine Agents comic. That sounds like it could be a very fun series.

Murd, in the Magazine section, did you see the Marvel Fact Files? The idea behind them reminds me of those binder editions of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe. Figured it might be right up your alley. I'm going to get them, and I hope that's what they are like. The first volume is the cheapest and comes with a binder for them.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I was wondering how I missed seeing the new Johnny Hiro book and discovered that while it can be found by doing a search for "Johnny Hiro," it doesn't show up on DCBS's actual listing for :01 First Second.

Thanks for pointing this out, guys... I've been waiting for Fred to do a sequel for a while and I would've been annoyed if I had missed out!
  • Options
    RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 553
    edited August 2013
    Hey guys, thanks so much for the discussion of Rex, Zombie Killer! I appreciate everything you guys had to say, and thanks, Brian, for letting folks know about the DCBS special offer on last year's One-Shot, too! Awesome...
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Velvet does look awesome and I'm excited for some more Bru/Epting goodness.