Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comic Talk: Listener Feedback Edition CGS: Episode 1208, Too much DC...

I agree with both sides of the discussion.

There IS too much DC discussion and saying things like there's a big Spidey podcast (or whatever it was) is not really having a more Marvel so much as it feels like being thrown a bone, it's NOT but it does feel like you have to condense the Marvel discussions into researched specials rather than have Marvel as part of a regular show.

BUT

If none of the CGS crew reads that much Marvel (generalisation) then their point stands up just as well.

Leading to bigger things...

The show does feel like it's floundering, I know of a couple of people myself included that only listen to select shows because half the content simple doesn't interest, not that everything is going to interest but when you skip four or five shows you start to realise how much fun your not having.

There is a solution though.

New blood, put out the call to local geeks and actually see if anyone wants a 'job'. Marvel fan wanted to join professional podacst team for a weekly recording session, it can't be that hard. Don't be scared of making a new friend.

It'll do wonders for re-invigorating the show.

Comments

• Options
    well that's me done, same old same old on the boards.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I do agree to a point, for me it is that I love indie and even just lesser mainstream stuff as well as art and it seems like that all gets pretty short shrift. I understand that everyone is not going to read stuff they don't like just for the show but it does seem like it would make sense to have someone that does be involved for that extra twist and view that may be slightly different than the rest of the guys. To be honest I haven't listened to a CGS episode for a pretty long while now. I skim the titles and I do plan to listen to the recent off the rack one but aside from that I haven't had much to listen about. I like the guys and the show though so I'm not saying everything is crap, it just doesn't hit a lot of what I'm into and most often not even a bit of it tossed in for good measure.

I'm happy to keep listening to the shows that do mesh with my comics and I do like to hear about stuff that I'd never read from the big 2 and I know there are more people that probably do match up to their tastes than mine so I'm under no illusion that all indie/creator-owned all the time would be better or more popular. Just maybe a little more of the rest of the comic world, even if it is just quick hits and not full discussions or debates.
  • Options
    I don't feel like there's too much DC talk, but in fairness, I would agree that if seems like there is, it's mainly because DC has given more to be discussed than Marvel. With the launch of the New 52, it's just simple mathematics that there would be more to discuss than the (mostly) same old same old from Marvel.

Like a lot of you on the show at CGS, I find myself in the same boat of not really reading/buying much from Marvel - as there just hasn't been much they've put out that interests me. Over the last 5 to 10 years, I've found the number of Marvel titles I've been getting dropping down to just two - Thunderbolts (which I've bought since it's inception), and Daredevil (which I've gotten since the Kevin Smith relaunch). Both of these books continue to preform for me, while everything else has just fallen by the wayside.

With DC, on the other hand, I'm currently reading over a dozen titles.

As for indie stuff, even then I find I usually only buy what interests me, and again, that isn't much. Right now it's Buffy from Dark Horse and the Planet of the Apes titles (particularly the mini series) that Boom has put out.

Granted, another big factor is also money. There's plenty more I'd like to be able to read/buy, but these days, I simply can't afford it.