Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1409 Talkback - Comic Talk

Chris Eberle and Dani O'Brien from Wild Pig Comics join us in studio for some lively discussion. We discuss our upcoming trip to Fan Expo, the Kick Ass 2 movie, Chris' retailer take on the 3D/2D DC covers, and more. Sure there's some ranting, but to make up for it we've got suggestions on some great books we're currently reading. (1:33:09)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    @Pants I've already posted this on the Kickstarter thread, but after hearing this episode I know you guys will love the look of this kickstarter. Check it out. It revolves around a kid who orders the stuff from the back of comics and it all comes to life...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trustedcape/mystery-box-0
  • Options
    Caveat: I listen on the morning and afternoon drive, so I've only heard half the episode. I don't necessarily think you guys are negative on DC until you harp on how negative you're being. Meaning the actual complaints don't sound unfair or unbalanced but the constant portrayal of them as being such in the comments swirling around them makes it seem like there is a bias. For myself, I don't care about the cover controversy. With all due respect to retailers like Chris, as a customer who has almost entirely made the move to digitial, I feel like I've been getting the shaft in order to bouy up the retailers for about the past six years. I do appluad Chris's take on it, and how he is handling it with his retailers. Where I challenge everyone is this: I read a lot of stuff from just about all of the established big 8 as I know the geeksquad and I assume most of us on the forums do. We also read stuff we like, stuff we love, and stuff that passes time for the beloved title to be great again (okay maybe only some of us on the last one). Which publisher is really putting out the most books on your must read-pile: Boom, Dark Horse, DC, Dynamite, IDW, Image, Marvel, Monkeybrain, and Valiant. My must reads look like this:
    Boom: 1- Hypernaturals
    Dark Horse: 1 -Star Wars
    DC: 7 - Aquaman, Batman, Green Lantern, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Justice League of America, Wonder Woman
    Dynamite: 2 - Shadow, Shadow: Year One
    IDW: 5 - Classic Popeye, Doctor Who, Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time, Popeye, Star Trek
    Image: 7 - East to West, Mind the Gap, Invincible, Invincible Universe, Revival, Saga, Sex
    Marvel: 5 - All-New X-men, Daredevil, Indestructible Hulk, Superior Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men
    Monkeybrain: 2 - High Crimes, Mask of the Red Panda
    Valiant: 3 - Archer and Armstrong, Bloodshot, X-0 Manowar

DC and Image tie for me in terms of number of must reads, but Valiant is the best in terms of ratio of must-reads to total line.

How do your numbers look? In this vein, who is your "favorite/best" publisher right now?
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Oooooh! Methinks we'll be getting some X-Men and Avengers goodness later this week. :D
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567

Oooooh! Methinks we'll be getting some X-Men and Avengers goodness later this week. :D

Nope. Listen closer...
  • Options
    Comics are a business first and a creative endeavor second as long as anyone wants to get paid (well) to make them. In a perfect world that would be reversed and the amazing quality of the comics would drive profitability, but in reality only a fraction of comics from any decade are truly exceptional and break away from the pack. These are periodicals, not feature films, and if you've ever done anything where you have to produce on a given time frame at regular intervals, only the truly great talents can keep the quality exceptional and consistent under those demands.

I honestly get tired of the belly aching about the big two. They have been producing ten sucky books for every great one forever (or at least since, uh, 1971 when I started buying them). They are fighting for their lives and the survival of their physical distribution avenue. If they can't haul in some cash on the basic books, they will not have the funds to pay creators to take risks or write those few awesome titles. In the seventies, there were not 3-D covers because they were throwaway items bought on impulse, and they fed the frenzy by using misleading covers that suggested that Batman killed Batgirl or Lois Lane grew to 100 feet tall or that Spider-Man grew a dinosaur tail or something. Oh, yeah, those were the great days of artistic integrity and respect for the readers from the big two.

I like superhero books. When people lament the dominance of superhero books, I roll my eyes. I like them when they are decent and I love them when they are great. I enjoy reading an independent black and white comic about miserable teenagers wanting to slit their wrists or about racial tensions or whatever. Just love a good Batman story better, at least in this medium. And this medium has always been about 95% tacky.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Pants said:

Nope. Listen closer...
    Serves me right to listen before speculating! Silly Ian.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567

Pants said:

Nope. Listen closer...
    Serves me right to listen before speculating.
    It's all good. Hope you enjoy the Chris-less spotlights. :-\"
  • Options
    Words I never wanted to hear:

"They give me the best gas EVER!!!"

b-(
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    DC (7) Superman, Action Comics, Adventures of Superman, Superman Unchained, Superman Batman, Batman, Detective Comics
    Marvel (1) Wolverine
    Digital only (1) BKV's The Private Eye
    Image (3) Saga, Fatale, Lazarus

Who is my favorite publisher of 2013 (so far)? Image

With Image I get quality stories told to me every month (or 2 months if they are on a break, it is just that simple. From DC Comics as much as I like them the thrill is gone or too early to tell w/ the new series, sad but true. Finally we come to Marvel, I know everyone is apeshit over Marvel Now! but I will likely have to try new series Guardians of the Galaxy in collected format & the same goes for the big 10-12 issues HC for Waid's Daredevil. Newsflash to ALL publishers, I can't buy everything.

I'm skipping the DC .1, 2 3 4 nonsense & reading Box Office Poison instead for September. I'll be waiting for issue #24 the next month.

Matthew
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

Words I never wanted to hear:

b-(

I get to sit next to him so imagine what thats like
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Wow, there's having energy on air and then there's turning a podcast into a mexican game show. Pants - deep breath, calm blue ocean.

Jamie D is correct, All- New X-Men is not the second coming people thought it was.

The pacing.................................... is so slow.........................

We're 14 issues in, how many issues have been in the mansion only? How many issues are just people talking? How many times has it been stated 'we need to send the old team back'? Obviously it's coming to a head in this upcoming crossover, but it should have happened 7 issues earlier.
  • Options
    abuddah said:

Wow, there's having energy on air and then there's turning a podcast into a mexican game show. Pants - deep breath, calm blue ocean.

Jamie D is correct, All- New X-Men is not the second coming people thought it was.

The pacing.................................... is so slow.........................

We're 14 issues in, how many issues have been in the mansion only? How many issues are just people talking? How many times has it been stated 'we need to send the old team back'? Obviously it's coming to a head in this upcoming crossover, but it should have happened 7 issues earlier.

I dunno. I've read the first two hardcovers and I'm still blown away by it. I don't think the pacing is all that slow at all. Believe me, I'd be the first to complain if I thought it was. My only regret is that I haven't been picking up his other X-Men series as well, especially as they'll be dovetailing for the Battle Of The Atom, but... finances forbid right now.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    gothamkid said:

Which publisher is really putting out the most books on your must read-pile: Boom, Dark Horse, DC, Dynamite, IDW, Image, Marvel, Monkeybrain, and Valiant.

How do your numbers look? In this vein, who is your "favorite/best" publisher right now?

Boom!/Archaia: 2/2
    Dark Horse: 6
    DC/Vertigo: 2/7
    IDW: 1
    Image: 8
    Marvel: 2
    Oni: 1
    Th3rd World: 1

Da winner!: Image (I have a few of the new Vertigo titles added in here, and I'll see how they go, but they look promising so far.)

• Options
    beng5007beng5007 Posts: 41
    DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD DC BAD
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited August 2013
    I am getting more than this but these are my must reads. I get everything in trade so this will change soon. Image has recently released a lot that i will be picking up when traded.

DC/Vertigo (7)

Batman
    Batgirl
    Legion of Super Heroes
    World's Finest
    Wonder Woman
    Fables
    Fairest

Marvel (3)
    All New X Men
    Daredevil
    Hawkeye

Image (3)
    Walking Dead
    Manhatten Project
    Chew

Darkhorse (1)
    Star Wars
  • Options
    csyeungcsyeung Posts: 2
    See you guys at Fanexpo! Good to see you guys up in Toronto again! I'll be in AA P75, so not to far from you guys. =D
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

abuddah said:

I dunno. I've read the first two hardcovers and I'm still blown away by it. I don't think the pacing is all that slow at all. Believe me, I'd be the first to complain if I thought it was. My only regret is that I haven't been picking up his other X-Men series as well, especially as they'll be dovetailing for the Battle Of The Atom, but... finances forbid right now.
    Yup, I agree. All New X-Men is "faaaaantastic!" Uncanny is a blast too and I really enjoy how they play off each other. I was never a big X-Men reader but these two books have got me jazzed.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Oh...very interesting episode!
    I'm looking forward to seeing you guys and Uncle Sal at the Expo! Gosh, I'd better start packing. I have to leave tomorrow! Oh, am I'm hoping that Pants won't eat any Long John Silver just before showing up at the booth on Thursday.
    DC "bashing" - yeah...I think the negativity went on a little too long BUT hey, that's how Jamie and Chris were feeling about the Villains' gimmick and while I sort of agree that it's been going on a long time from both the Big 2, I do think it's worth continuing to bring up. When they did things like a giant Lois Lane on a cover, sure they were trying to sell more comics, but back then there was a lot more of a "pie" to share. So to do things like the Villains-gimmick now when there's so little of a pie, it could be dangerous. Like Chris, I figure there will be loads of Villain's gimmick bargain bin fodder.
    Anyway, I liked the more positive things that were said also. I agree with your recommendations: All-New X-Men, Hawkeye, Lazarus, Daredevil, Star Wars, Trinity War, and in addition, Back Issue.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

abuddah said:

Yup, I agree. All New X-Men is "faaaaantastic!" Uncanny is a blast too and I really enjoy how they play off each other. I was never a big X-Men reader but these two books have got me jazzed.
    I kind of disagreed when Dani said you don't have to be reading Uncanny X-Men to get All-New X-Men. You don't from the perspective of understanding the plot narrative in each series, but they do play off of each other heavily IMO so reading them together does make for a richer experience.

**SPOILERS**

One of my favorite about All-New X-Men, and I say don't know how to say this without seeming like a Jean Gey hater (which I'm not) is that they really show her has having feet of clay and not being a saint. She really comes off as manipulative, using her powers to force Angel to stay the first time, and I really felt like in the latest issue she was manipulating Hank. Her confrontation and kiss was more to head off the future she doesn't like then one born of real affection. The biggest draw for me is that the kids are questioning everything, all authority, trying to determine whose right or wrong and make up their own minds: Jean's confrontation of the X-Men over the Scarlet Witch, Bobby accusing old Hank of lying to them, Angel defecting to Uncanny, etc. I'm long from being a teenager, but these feel like the most authentic teen characters since Kitty herself was introduced.

• Options
    Man...the Sears christmas catalog. I can't count the number of years where the letters to Santa included ripped out circled pages from the catalog. And for a comics connection, where I lived in Nashville, TN at the time, I only new of two comic stores: Great Escape - Downtown Nashville (a 30 minute drive), and Great Escape - Madison (a 15 minute drive). While I got to go to the Madison store every weekend, most of my $5 a week allowance went to the quarter bins so apart from the odd off the rack gift, I was buying Secret Society of Super-Villains, Freedom Fighters, Marvel Tales, etc., whaetever was in the quarter bins. So while I was reading and collecting in the mid-80's I didn't get current stuff.....except for the 100 comic allotments of Marvel comics that Sears advertised every year in the Christmas catalog. I got those every year. Santa would break them up into different stacks based on which characters were on the covers, so I might get one pile with Captain America, Iron Man, Avengers, and Secret Wars II, another one with Marvel Tales, Amazing Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Marvel Team-Up, and so on.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited August 2013
    Another excellent podcast. The best quote of this episode has to be from Chris regarding the barrage of over-priced, villain-centric, 3D gimmick comics coming from DC:

"At the end of the day, people have a budget. They work their asses off often for their money, and... here, here's 10 minutes of reading and oh, by the way you have to pay $7 for it.
    Go to hell."

Well said Chris and I concur.

Second best quote?
    Pants said:

Regarding @JamieD's non-conclusion on whatever happened to Richard Rider, I found this on http://marvel.wikia.com:

Nova traveled to the Cancerverse just in time to save the Guardians of the Galaxy from the Undying Lord and his Revengers. When the Cancerverse was destroyed by Thanos who had summoned Death, Nova and Star-Lord remained to prevent Thanos from endangering any more realities. The duo were presumed dead, with a statue erected in their memory as well as those of the recently fallen heroes and heroines.

Rider's death meant the shutdown of Worldmind and the disappearance of the Nova Force. However, Sam Alexander (who was recruited to be his replacement after his 'death') has Nova Force powers, hinting that Rider might have survived. Likewise, Star-Lord's return in Avengers Assemble #4 further suggests that the two survived. In the letters to the writers section of Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3 1, Brian Bendis, in response to a question about how Peter Quill and Thanos escaped the Cancerverse without Nova, stated "Oh and you want to know why Richard Rider isn't back? Who said he wasn't?"
    Looks like the only people who stay dead in comics are... Uncle Ben.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The Sears and JC Penney catalogs were always highly anticipated in my house, too. That's one of the ways I always knew Christmas was coming. I remember the Service Merchandise catalog was always pretty rad, too, if not quite as voluminous.

(Man, Service Merchandise... THERE'S a place I haven't thought about in years! I miss that clipboards & conveyor belts emporium!)

As for Hanna-Barbera cartoons, I think their ability to stand the test of time depends on iteration and formula, as in "Show X is the y iteration of formula z". For instance: family in different historical era. Flintstones works well, Jetsons a little less so but alright, then you have snoozers like The Roman Holidays. Or the mystery solving kids and their weird mascot: Scooby works (so long as he has the whole gang with him and does NOT have Scrappy in tow), and the many, many imitators... not so much. Wacky Races yes, Yogi's Space Race oh good sweet lord in heaven no.

I remember Laff-A-Lympics being re-run on ABC in the mid-to-late 80s, and me and a lot of my friends who watched it all thought it was new at first because we were just a little too young to remember the original run! Same with Hong Kong Phooey.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Laff-A-Lympics
    Whacky Races
    Jabberjaw
    The Great Grape Ape
    Rocky and Bullwinkle
    Underdog
    Captain Caveman
    Hong Kong Phooey
    Scooby-Doo
    Quick Draw McGraw
    Yogi Bear
    Flintstones
    Jetsons
    The Space Kidettes
    Herculoids
    Shazzan
    Samson and Goliath
    Help!... It's the Hair Bear Bunch!
    Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch
    Inch High, Private Eye
    Speed Buggy

...are all shows I watched as a kid in the 80s and had NO IDEA at the time they were reruns.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I take it you watched a lot of the USA Cartoon Express, too, @Mr_Cosmic!
  • Options

I take it you watched a lot of the USA Cartoon Express, too, @Mr_Cosmic!

What gave it away?!?! ;)

• Options
    Great show, guys! Always love just good genuine comic talk that goes off on its own tangents at times.

I also love Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova. I agree that Nova is a great all-ages book in the truest sense of the phrase. I think everyone can enjoy it. I am curious is Marvel will ever address how Star Lord and Thanos escaped the Cancerverse. It was in The Thanos Imperative (and least if memory serves me right) where Nova and Star Lord stayed back to allow others to be saved and held Thanos there knowing that it would mean their demise. But then months later Thanos was back and then months after that we got Star Lord back. No Nova to be seen. I would like to see how, and maybe there is hope for Ryder to return one day.

I have heard a lot of podcasts talking about how we as consumers really need to look at what we're buying and adjust to stop buying the things that we are not excited to read. I totally agree with this and I'm glad others are feeling the same way. I am way behind on reading some titles because I keep putting them off for other things I want to read. Those are the titles I am cutting. Obviously I'm not missing them.

I did order the Villains bundle from DCBS, but it's because I'm genuinely interested in almost all of the books, and cost wise I would have been paying almost the same for the issues I wanted versus all of them with the higher discount. It just made financial sense to me, but I am using the next month as a good jumping off point for DC titles I don't enjoy reading enough to keep up with them. I did this to Marvel a while back and I'm down to the two main Avengers titles, 4 X-Men titles (and yes, All-New X-Men is one because it's awesome), Hawkeye, Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, and a couple Spider-Man titles. That's really it, which might sound like a lot to some people, but I was up to 25 Marvel titles at one time. This is less than half of that, and I'm not sorry that I did it. Now it's DC's turn.

I will say that I still do find a lot in DC that I enjoy a lot. I'm not someone who thinks all of the new DCU is bad. There are great comics in there, but I do need to trim the "okay" titles.

I also want to say that without listening to podcasts, I would have never discovered the world of independent comics. Podcasts are what got me to read The Walking Dead, Invincible, Saga, and many more. So thank you for that.
  • Options
    The discussion about Villains month from the perspective of a retailer was fascinating. Excellent show!
  • Options
    I never get tired of hearing you guys talk about the items that take you back to your childhood. Great stuff.
  • Options
    Another quality $2.99 book - Hellboy in Hell. I think you normally get slightly more pages than your standard book, only a couple of in house ads at the back, letters page, even the back cover and the inside cover are a part of the book. Hellboy is the only comic that I get in floppies and trades.
  • Options
    I was away last week on vacation - spotty phone service (stand in the northeast corner of the upper bedroom on the southern side of the cottage and hold your phone roughly five feet off the ground - there's the signal!) and no internet - so I'm playing catch-up on the episodes now. And this was another fantastic one. Love it when Chris and Dani are in the studio. They bring a perspective and a vibe that adds a lot to the show. Loved the conversations and tangents.

And the more I listen to Chris on the show, the more I feel like he's a long lost brother (with the same name!). I still have my Burger King Star Wars/Empire/Jedi mugs. I didn't have them all, but the ones I got I still have (the Lando one from Empire was always my favorite).

I, too, loved the Sears Wish Book and can remember the anticipation of the new one each September. I loved going through and circling everything I wanted. Then I'd go back and do a "revision" to bring it down to a reasonable level. The Star Wars pages were always the first ones I sought out.

A couple other things that take me back to my childhood:

The Q-Bert tabletop game:

(I loved the cartoon as well; I was young)

And DC digests:

Thanks for the great episode and for, yet again, spurring memories of my childhood. Love it!

chris