Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Monthly Sketch Thread - April 2012

Time to sharpen your pencils and join in the sketch thread! All skill levels are welcome and the point is to have fun. Let's see what you can create!

The theme this month is: A superhero based on a classical or cultural story character.

(imgur.com is a great, free, image host with no bandwidth or other limits and doesn't even require you to sign up to host images with them)

Comments

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    OK, I'll kick this pig and get things started to break the ice...

I give you: HanuMan!

Origin: Born in India and as a kid thought the sun was a mango and tried to eat it.

Arch enemy: Rahu, an entire planet

Special powers:
    * Unable to be killed by weapons of war
    * Able to shape-shift
    * Can lift mountains

These are all actually taken from the story of Hanuman and there is even more that rivals most superheroes of today!

Now let's see what you got CGS'ers!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Nice! Awesome start =D>

...and it made me look for Indian comics too. You should start an India based comic for real.
  • Options
    heh, thanks, I figured I should whip something up to get things kicked off. I did have fun with it and thinking through different possible stories/characters. I'll probably do some more, and yes, I love Indian culture and this sketch really made me start thinking of how superhero-y a lot of Indian tales actually are by default without even needing to make them more so! I will have to maybe work on a short Indian project!
  • Options
    OK, I'll kick this pig and get things started to break the ice...

I give you: HanuMan!

Origin: Born in India and as a kid thought the sun was a mango and tried to eat it.

Arch enemy: Rahu, an entire planet

Special powers:
    * Unable to be killed by weapons of war
    * Able to shape-shift
    * Can lift mountains

These are all actually taken from the story of Hanuman and there is even more that rivals most superheroes of today!

Now let's see what you got CGS'ers!
    Wonder if he had a connection to the Monkey King from China?
  • Options
    Cool sketch, BTW
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    liking the idea of the thread, have to give it some thought as to what to draw

once i'm done with that though, making you regret the All skill levels are welcome will be fairly easy though :)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I can't draw but I used to paint in watercolors, I haven't done it in years due to nerve damage in my hands, (which is a story all its own), I'm going to make an effort to take part in this.
  • Options
    Please do everyone! Truly every skill level and honestly I have seen in other similar threads where people have managed to progress from stick figures to really solid work in pretty short order just by playing around. You couldn't ask for a more supportive and good group of board members so just have some fun with it!

This isn't something just for me, I really would love to see this become a fun monthly tradition for everyone.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    This is a great thread. I have a skill level of zero (well I guess I could say one on a scale of 100. I guess I'm better than zero lol), but I'll see if I can come up with something (but I'll probably have better luck with next months theme when the semester is over).
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I do mean to contribute to this, but with a major Con coming up next month I had priorities! :) Will hopefully have something up this week.
  • Options
    Just quick sketches are fine, they don't have to be finished pieces, it is more to just loosen up and have fun. The one I posted I did during my lunch break. I have another I doodled the other day I'll post up this evening when I get home.

I know things can get busy and the one nice thing about sketch threads is that it forces me to make a little time here and there to just play or be freer or step outside of what I have been doing.
  • Options
    Have been travelling Europe the last couple of days. While away from home I got inspired to transform a Swiss icon into some kind of superhero. But brace yourselves - I'm not a skilled illustrator..... Watch this space.....for I will attempt to put something on paper asap....
  • Options
    Rad! Can't wait!
  • Options
    awww....the pressure.....it feels like school again.......always turned in my homework the last minute....glad this is called the monthly sketch thread..... ;)
  • Options
    Heh, no pressure, I just honestly can't wait I don't know much about Swiss cultural icons/stories so I'm looking forward to it! It is a good thing I chose monthly and not weekly or daily it seems ;) Also, I'm completely open for ideas for next month's thread, feel free to post ideas. Minimalism, reimagined favorites, favorite panels recreated, or anything people can dream up.
  • Options
    imagerose 001" />

I ain't so good at people.... this I have been doing since 7th grade.. can't get it outta my head.
    Pen or brushwork? It reminds me of illustrating with a caligraphy brush. I've got one of those David Mack artbooks and he did a geisha with a brush in front with a brush. It just reminded me of that.

• Options

Pen or brushwork? It reminds me of illustrating with a caligraphy brush. I've got one of those David Mack artbooks and he did a geisha with a brush in front with a brush. It just reminded me of that.

Pen, I did touch some things up in Paint, once I scanned it in. I used Uni-Ball Vision Elite, .8mm. The roller ball just flows so nice, I tend to just use Pen and let the mistakes be incorporated into the design, so sometimes it works and other times I just start over.

Speaking of calligraphy, that is something I have always wanted to learn and have even made up my own version of handwriting "font" I feel it is all connected somehow.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    LAST CALL !!! :!!
    The theme this month is: A superhero based on a classical or cultural story character.
    I got so many clever ideas....but the connection brain-to-hand...is corrupted....I see the masterpiece in my mind.....and on paper it looks like....something the dog coughs up....will try...later....

[-O<
  • Options
    Who's a world-renowned Swiss heroine?
    [drum roll] Yes! It's HEIDI.

But, suffering from a slight case of delusion of grandeur, I refused to show her like this:

Photobucket

No. Of course not. I thought the following would be a more just reference:

Photobucket

That's exactly how I imagined a grown-up HEIDI would look like.
    So I made many attempts to draw her after that delicious picture of Gabrielle. Easy peasy or so I thought. A couple of hours later - and a basket full of newly made paper balls - I was once more shown my limits in drawing. But what did I expect for never having had the patience to keep practising. After having destroyed the evidence I made a last attempt...this time with a twist:

Photobucket

Heidi's trusty sidekick - The Mighty Goat - is having a bad hair day. Angry as the devil he goes after Heidi - but she's quick and escapes between the rocks. She'll be back as soon The Mighty Goat cools down. But then it will be too late for me to draw the scene....

• Options
    @John_Steed I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit! That goat would not look out of place in many artist's sketchbooks. I'm not just saying that to be kind either but you have a very loose/sketchy style there that is perfectly fine. Here is a great book that offers a very large preview if you click on the "Look Inside!" on the cover picture, you will see a lot of variations on this kind of sketching style: http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Urban-Sketching-Location/dp/1592537251

I think if you allowed yourself to stay loose you could tackle that photo with no problem. Don't try to be 100% perfect and photorealistic and you can be fine. Don't be afraid to even print it out and trace it, you will get a feel for the proportions and key aspects and if you did a few I'd bet you could come up with something you'd be pleased with on your own.

I hear from people all the time when they see me sketching at work or ask me to whip something up for their kid how they could never do it, I show them a few basic tricks and they amaze themselves. It takes practice like anything but there is no right or wrong or end game. Stick with it!
  • Options
    @Zhurrie : :x you're too kind. Thanks for the heads-up on the Urban Sketching book - looks aweseome.
    Did order it - not just for me though, guess my artist son will get a kick out of it.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    I just joined the forums and this thread looks awesome. I cant wait for the May theme to come up so I can post my lame art :)
  • Options
    I just joined the forums and this thread looks awesome. I cant wait for the May theme to come up so I can post my lame art :)
    @Zhurrie : we triggered the ZHURRIE signal!!! Start the May theme!!!

• Options
    On it! :) I saw the faint glow in the sky and came running, well a brisk walk, I only run for cops and imminent death...