Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A vs X Infini Comic on Comixology

Tomorow is the big day that we get to see this new form of digital comic. This was the main focus at all the Marvel panels that I went to at comic con. They were inviting all the fans to come up during the Panel and check it but I wanted to wait so I can experience it from home. Mark Waid made it clear that he does not want people to think this is a motion comic. He believes comics are to be read and not heard. There is no Animation if I am understanding it right. From what I gather it is like a guided view system used to the full potential. Some people do not like guided view because it can break up the artists construction of the panel and I can see the point in rare circumstances but for the most part I see it as a great way to add drama to the story where I usually end up seeing more than I want to when I turn the page. The infini comic should and another layer of pacing and nuance. I hope it lives up to my expectations. I might head over to the A v. X pre-launch event at my local shop as the physical copy comes with a free download code.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Sounds interesting - does it work with the existing apps?
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29
    I don't think so. I believe you need the Marvel AR ap. I downloaded it today but havent had the chance to play around with it yet.
  • Options
    No this should not have anything to do with the AR but, unfortunately, I think my free coupon will have to be redeemed through the Marvel App instead of Comixology. It is a minor annoyance but still...
  • Options
    AvX 1 is up on Comixology right now with the infi comic for .99
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I haven't read if yet, but.... Yay! Nova!!!

• Options
    Ok I just read the Infini Nova Infinite Comic and I was very happy with the experience. The best way I can describe it is laying down animation cells. To be clear, there is no animation. Some of the panels will blur the image and focus the background then focus back to the foreground. It was not the greatest thing ever but really, in my opinion, exactly what you want digital comics to be.

I also got to try out the AR app. I used my I phone on the panel where Nova crashes to earth in A v X #1. What you got was audio from Bendis talking about that page and you also got pencils and ink versions of the art. I really don't think I would ever use this application but I think it is a nice idea. It is basically DVD extra features for comics.

To ready the Infinite Comic you just buy it from comixology or the marvel app.

To use the AR app you have to download the Marvel AR app from an app store and then just use your phone/tablet camera to view the pages.
  • Options
    IMPORTANT:

If you buy AvX #1 from Comixology, AvX Infinite comes in that file, just not the nice experience that you get if you buy it separately. I bought both right away, not thinking, and now I'm a little miffed about how Comixology did this.
  • Options
    IMPORTANT:

If you buy AvX #1 from Comixology, AvX Infinite comes in that file, just not the nice experience that you get if you buy it separately. I bought both right away, not thinking, and now I'm a little miffed about how Comixology did this.
    EDIT!!!!!

My above post was wrong, you need to be in panel-by-panel mode in AvX #1 to get the Infinite COmics experience.

You DON'T need to buy AvX Infinite #1 Separately to get the experience. Save yourself the extra dollar I did not.

• Options
    Fantastic article about this on Gizmodo Australia:

Link

I utterly despise motion comics, but this looks wonderful. It seems to preserve what makes comics uniquely enjoyable versus animated media.
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    Wow. I just read this thing, and it is really slick. Really cool.

I usually hate this sort of decompressed dreck (about two pages of story happen in this comic), but with this presentation, I felt a lot more of the tension, and just got a whole lot more out of the story.

I usually prefer to see the whole page, and feel like I'm missing something with the panel by panel view. I liked this far more with this Infinite experience however, than I would in full page mode.

I just read this on my iPhone, can't wait to read it on my iPad tonight.

I'm really impressed with this right now.
  • Options
    I read it today, as well (on a Kindle Fire)... and really liked it. If they do the equivalent of a 20 page book this way it could be incredible. I do have a fear that because the pacing is so slowed down, that we will get 5 pages worth of story.

Re:
    I usually prefer to see the whole page, and feel like I'm missing something with the panel by panel view.
    Just in case you aren't aware of it, you can set Comixology to show you the full page before moving to the first panel of each page.
  • Options
    @BlackUmbrella, thanks for the tip! I usually read comics on my iPad, and like the full page view on that. It's just on my iPhone that I use the guided view, since full page doesn't really work there.
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    this infinite thing is awesome. viewing this on a new ipad at work. om nom nom nom
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I just read it on my iPad and it was great!

It flowed nicely and didn't feel gimmicky at all. The "focus blur" on some of the panels was really well done.

The story was pretty simple but the excellent thing here was the presentation.
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    I just read it on my iPad and it was great!

It flowed nicely and didn't feel gimmicky at all. The "focus blur" on some of the panels was really well done.

The story was pretty simple but the excellent thing here was the presentation.
    The focus blur when the phoenix showed up behind nova, I went back and forth looking at it, I think it was absolutely marvelous (pun intended)
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Agreed - very simple story and quite short - but what a fantastic presentation. B-)

I'd love to see a much longer book using the same technique.
  • Options
    The focus blur when the phoenix showed up behind nova, I went back and forth looking at it, I think it was absolutely marvelous (pun intended)
    That really stood out to me too, and I went back and forth a few times between Nova and Phoenix. I think I said "oh, wow" out loud too. This whole thing was REALLY well done.

• Options
    I hope this tech could be used someday on more adult comics like
    Vertigo. It would be cool to see what some Moore abstract artists could come up with.
  • Options
    I meant to write more not Moore lol. No pun no pun