Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What are some good Marvel titles to jump into...

First off, I am new to the forums and I love the show.

So I have been a DC guy for a long time, nothing against Marvel just on a budget and wanted to get the most for my money so I stuck with one company. Now that I am looking to get into Marvel again what do you fine folks think I should buy?

I am looking to add somewhere between 4-6 new book. Thanks!

Best Answer

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Answer ✓
    Daredevil, Fantastic Four and FF, Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Force are my suggestions, those are the series that I have been getting the most enjoyment out of. I'm going the opposite way, I've been dropping Marvel titles and replacing with them with DC and indy books.

Answers

• Options
    Daredevil is one of your best bets. Even Pants reads Daredevil.
  • Options
    I love Scarlet Spider, it is really good, and I never know what will happen next. Wolverine and the X-men is gorgeous smart and hilarious. Astonishing X-men finally has a solid creative team and I love Marjorie Liu to an inappropriate degree, so it's full of awesome, although there has only been one issue with her and Mike Perkins. I am really excited for Kelly Sue DeConnick's Captain Marvel book. But that's about the extent of my Marvel buying, so judge it as you will, but I would recommend all three of those books emphatically...
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    edited April 2012
    I won't win any favor but, my choice would be none. I enjoyed the current Moon Knight run (12 issues) but almost everything else gets crapped up by "events" and tie-ins that span a ton of books and the new Marvel love of super rushed art involving stock photos, Google Sketch-up, and other lazy elements all at a premium price. I am picking up Daredevil in trade and that is seriously it for Marvel for me. There is so much out there from Image, Dark Horse, etc. without all the hoops and with real gravitas that maybe it is worth branching out a bit instead of Marvel especially since the focus is all about XvA and the upcoming Avengers movie.

EDIT: To be honest, I have picked up a few of the new Deadpool run, and those have been hit or miss but OK overall. Might be worth checking out if you like that sort of thing.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I love Scarlet Spider, it is really good, and I never know what will happen next.
    Think about what was just said.

Scarlet Spider.

If someone a few years said there'd be a Parker clone-driven series in 2012, and it would be good, I would have laughed.

Now, all I can do is agree, I may be behind on issues, but I'm enjoying it,
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I don't read Marvel on a regular basis. Well, not any basis but from what I have checked out at my LCS and word of mouth, I could suggest:
    Scarlet Spider - It's an interesting book starring Kane who is a Spider-Man clone
    Winter Soldier - It's Brubaker writing Bucky Barnes in a spy-themed comic.
    Amazing Spider-Man - Dan Slott really seems to get the character and some of the stories have been pretty good.
    Daredevil - I hear nothing but great stuff and I like that Mark Waid's included Black Cat in the series.
    Wolverine and the X-Men - Heard some great stuff about this book
    Fantastic Four/Future Foundation - Same as Wolverine and the X-Men
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Avengers Academy and
    Journey into Mystery are two of my favorite coming out right now

But I may be the only person that would suggest Ultimate Spider-man for you either

I've also heard really good things about Super-Crooks (it's icon but that's almost Marvel)

And while I'm at it New Mutants

That should keep you from being too mainstream in your Marvel if that's what you're wanting

Otherwise you're probably going to end up going Avengers and X-Men and that'll suck up your budget with the event
  • Options
    Journey into Mystery does look really good, but I just don't have any interest personally. That is a good suggestion for someone that does though!
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    edited April 2012
    I'm only reading a handful, and all of those I would recommend

Daredevil - the story is engaging and humorous and the art is beautiful, can't really ask for much more

Amazing Spiderman - I'm a slut for spidey, either you love him or you don't

Ultimate Spiderman - Miles Morales is becoming a great character and I can't wait to watch him not only grow up, but really grow into his role as spiderman

Wolverine and the X-men - this is the first main x-book I've picked up in years, I love the art style, although some might not like it, I really enjoy the blocky cartoonish way that the characters are drawn, it's colorful and wolverine is finally interesting for me again.

Uncanny X-Force - Fantomex will win your heart

Fantastic Four and FF - great sciency adventure book, Reed Richards is Bill Nye with super powers

• Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I will agree with many of the suggestions. I would add Rick Reminder's issues of Secret Avengers which seem to be in the same vein as his Uncanny X-Force run.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I would agree with most of the suggestions above.
    Except maybe FF. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the current run of FF, but for someone who isn't really into Marvel, it may be a little too deep with history in order to fully appreciate it.

I would add:
    Avengers Academy
    Thunderbolts (soon to be relaunched as Dark Avengers)
    X-Factor
    Defenders
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I'll second Uncanny X-Force although I think you'll get more out of the book if you read the trades from the beginning.

I'll also second Wolverine and the X-Men. That book is just a lot of fun.

I've also heard many good things about Journey into Mystery and Daredevil. I'm going to be picking up Daredevil soon and I'm on the fence about JiM. Might pick up an issue or two and see if I like it or not.
  • Options
    I got you backs @JohnTilton and @KyleMoyer.

Wolverine and the X-Men is awesome. Hopefully Bachalo will be there for a while.

Showing the Uncanny X-Force love. Really good title.

Journey into Mystery. Kid version of Loki running around helping people but in his own mischevious way.

Thunderbolts was also interesting. I went back and got the trades from their first appearance way back when but I didn't care for it. The newer stuff, especially when Luke Cage takes control, is good. I also think the Norman Osborne stuff was good too if you are willing to go back to get those in trade. Otherwise wait until Dark Avengers hits and see how you like it.

All in all, get a few of the early trades of each of these series to gauge your like/dislike then jump in to what suits you.
  • Options
    I'd like to be a negative vote for Wolverine and the X-Men. I found this to be almost insultingly bad as far as the almost zero effort art-wise. Limited or no backgrounds, stock photo skies used and reused over and over with no attempt at an artistic eye, and then it managed to be worse when Bachalo was off of it since it rotates teams. This is just mass-market pop-fluff, I get that some may find it fun or light but I definitely didn't.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    If I had to choose four books, it would be:

Amazing Spider-Man: It's a mix of super-heroics, humor and soap opera, which is how Marvel built the house.
    Punisher: Greg Rucka has the perfect voice for crime comics, and this is a great crime comic. I like it almost as much as his Gotham Central run
    Daredevil: Agree with everyone else here. Probably my favorite non-Miller/Bendis run on the book
    FF/Fantastic Four: Marvel cosmic with a LOT of the "Kirby" style of throwing out big ideas and grounding them with human characters. I hope that they have someone good lined up with Hickman leaves because his run has been a joy.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    I'm only getting 3 Marvel monthlies these days....

1) Daredevil: Everyone's already said it, but I'll say it tooo And I like it better than Bendis's take. Plus the art is amazing.
    2) Amazing Spider-Man: Came back on with Big Shot, and loved it since. Slott get's Pete's voice, and has gone somewhere with the character!
    3) Wolverine & the X-Men. Crazy concepts, great chatter. Maybe you wont love the art at times (it is very stylized) but you cant deny Jason Aaron's amazing writing.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    For me it would be....

X-Factor....a great example of an X-book not being mired down in too much X-politics. Lots of fun, lots of adventure, lots of laughs!

Avengers Acadamy.... Again, kind of light hearted, a good cast of characters and some fun stories. Recently joined by X-23 and Julie Power from Power Pack.

Daredevil.... Like everyone else, I think it's awesome.

Wolverine and the X-Men.... It's just so MUCH fun to read. and personally I have no problem with the art. I've seen a lot worse.

I would be also be happy to hear a CGS podcast talking about any of these above books... It's all a bit too DC-centric these days.
  • Options

I would be also be happy to hear a CGS podcast talking about any of these above books... It's all a bit too DC-centric these days.
    I think that has to do with the fact that we have a new universe (no pun intended) to explore. I mean I'm even buying DC titles.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I was never a Daredevil fan, but Waid's run has been consistently the best book I read every month since it began. Even the .1 issue was really, really good (and unlike a lot of those .1 issues, it actually advanced the plot along, too).
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited April 2012
    I read Daredevil, Fantastic Four & FF they are great Marvel reads for me. I also would include Criminal arcs from Marvel's Icon line as well.

Matthew
  • Options
    Are we forgetting S.H.I.E.L.D.? Good 'new' history for the MarvelU