Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

RoboCop (2014) Trailer

So, it looks right the way to modernize the feel of RoboCop 'because this isn't the 80s' (as per the writer) is by making Alex Murphy a bionic man. I wonder if he cost more then Lee's model?!

http://youtu.be/ymMNEPfcO5M

M

Comments

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Two major strikes against it:

1. It's PG-13

2. It's made by the same people who did the Total Recall remake.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Good to see the ED-209 will be included
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    It looks fine until you go back and watch the original. Then it looks utterly toothless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55try_2CEOI
  • Options

1. It's PG-13

You can't remake Verhoeven. You can't sequel Verhoeven. You just can't follow Verhoeven. Someone needs to tell Hollywood to stop trying.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

1. It's PG-13

I thought the Total Recall remake kicked ass. I know I'm in the minority but that fact only makes me want to see this movie more.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Mr_Cosmic said:

1. It's PG-13

I thought the Total Recall remake kicked ass. I know I'm in the minority but that fact only makes me want to see this movie more.
    Maybe because I love Kate Beckensale, but I enjoyed the remake also.

M
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited September 2013
    Matt said:

M

You must love Kate far more than I (even if you did misspell her last name) , 'cuz I'm a Kate Beckinsale fan as well and I thought the Total Recall remake was utter rubbish.
  • Options

Matt said:

M

You must love Kate far more than I (even if you did misspell her last name) , 'cuz I'm a Kate Beckinsale fan as well and I thought the Total Recall remake was utter rubbish.
    Beckinsale is her stage name spelling!!

M
  • Options
    Watching the trailer again, I'm more game for this new version provided they only use his face & brain. If the barehand is the same type of thing as the face skingraph, I'm okay with it. The fact we see his gun unholster itself in his left leg (in the original it was the right) could imply he retains his right appendages. I don't want him to be that much part man, part machine.

In the end, just like with all remakes & reboots, it'll carry the weight of the original. To some extent, I thing it sucks. The Halloween remake was great. It wasn't a carbon copy & it added some interesting things. I'll always prefer the original, but I enjoy the remake almost as much.

M
  • Options
    I'm hoping Samuel L Jackson's next line following "...justice" is "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Also, Miguel Ferrer (Bob Morton) plays a villain in the remake.

M
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    The original stays the original. This new thing I might pick from a bargain bin sometime.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    if I didnt know what it was, I would think... "that looks interesting / Ill check that out". but knowing what it is I just cant not compare it to the original and by comparison it just looks dumb. Taking an old idea and adding your own couple tweaks and updating the social commentary doesnt make it good or worthwhile. and why in 2013 does he look like a guy in a suit but in 1980s I totally bought him as a cyborg? I would rather this were some kind of continuation rather than a ripoff/remake.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Doesn't look "horrible". Seems to have some good actors in it. But still. Alex Murphy isn't a bionic man that they "saved". He freaking died. I just watched the original again today and there is no chance, none, that they will make it as good.

That being said, I'll see it eventually on Netflix or something. Don't like the "black" costume. Also don't like new CGI ED209, but I guess it was inevitable that they update its look some.

Maybe future trailers will show us something good. Also, in case you didn't know already, it won't be "Omni Consumer Products". It will be OCP, but either OCP will stand for something else, or it will only be referred to as OCP. Why? Because Omni Consumer Products is a real thing now. They license weird things from movies and TV shows and produce them for real. For instance, Sex Panther Cologne and True Blood (an orange drink).

Omni Consumer Products

Actually after doing a little googling, it seems OCP will just be OmniCorp in the new movie as seen in this teaser website OmniCorp Teaser Robocop site
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

1. It's PG-13

M
    I'm with you, on both counts.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    i liked the remake too. didnt think it was as interesting/exciting but thought it was good and had great effects.
  • Options
    I love Michael Keaton is in it, Samuel L Jackson is tiresome but in the "I'd buy that for a dollar" type cameo, yes. Seeing Murphy interact with his son though felt wrong. One of the most powerful scenes in the original is Robocop's meltdown in his old house. I do not like what I saw in that regard.
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    I agree with Matt I'd like him to be a face and a brain, but the trailer leads me to believe he's going to be way more human and have most of his memory, leaving Murphy with way way way more humanity than he had in the original, but I think this could be good.

I'll poop my pants if anyone says "I'll buy that for a dollar"

The PG13 tag is gonna be a trend with remakes unfortunately, just cause movies aren't pulling as much dough when you look at all films in total, and they need the revenue to pull in as much people as possible on the "Guaranteed moneymakers". Part of the original Robocop's charm was that it was so bloody unapologetic and vulgar in the original. Which pitted it right up against the original Terminator and Total Recall, making them all seriously badass sci-fi flicks.

I'm still kicking myself for not having seen the new Total Recall EARLIER, because I predicted from the preview that it would be terrible, but I loved it. Then again I'm a sucker for updated punched-up remakes, if I feel they are done well. Don't even get me started on the nerd-gasm I had for "Amazing Spider-Man" (no that wasnt perfect either, but In my opinion felt more Spider-Man-ey than all three of Raimi's)

/twocents
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @Bondo - you're full of

insights

Like it :D
  • Options
    lol I love the break in the post. Had me goin for a sec!
  • Options
    I just re-watched the original trailer for RoboCop.... just seems lazy that they used the original snyth version of the Terminator Theme Song... Then again I suppose its better than the HUNDREDS of films that used the Stargate theme during their previews in the 90s
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So I just got back from seeing the movie. There were things I could easily nitpick (Lewis not being a female character, saving Murphy's right hand, public knowing his name, etc.), but there was some good stuff. Gary Oldman stole the movie. He was phenomenal.

It isn't as good as the original, but it isn't the steaming pile some remake/reimagines are. It doesn't have the same feel as the original, but it does have some heart to it.

Plus, they kept the theme music!

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

So I just got back from seeing the movie. There were things I could easily nitpick (Lewis not being a female character, saving Murphy's right hand, public knowing his name, etc.), but there was some good stuff. Gary Oldman stole the movie. He was phenomenal.

It isn't as good as the original, but it isn't the steaming pile some remake/reimagines are. It doesn't have the same feel as the original, but it does have some heart to it.

Plus, they kept the theme music!

M

Yup, a good flick. Plus, my wife liked it a lot. I doubt she would care for the original.

• Options
    Bondo said:

I agree with Matt I'd like him to be a face and a brain, but the trailer leads me to believe he's going to be way more human and have most of his memory, leaving Murphy with way way way more humanity than he had in the original, but I think this could be good.

I'll poop my pants if anyone says "I'll buy that for a dollar"

The PG13 tag is gonna be a trend with remakes unfortunately, just cause movies aren't pulling as much dough when you look at all films in total, and they need the revenue to pull in as much people as possible on the "Guaranteed moneymakers". Part of the original Robocop's charm was that it was so bloody unapologetic and vulgar in the original. Which pitted it right up against the original Terminator and Total Recall, making them all seriously badass sci-fi flicks.

I'm still kicking myself for not having seen the new Total Recall EARLIER, because I predicted from the preview that it would be terrible, but I loved it. Then again I'm a sucker for updated punched-up remakes, if I feel they are done well. Don't even get me started on the nerd-gasm I had for "Amazing Spider-Man" (no that wasnt perfect either, but In my opinion felt more Spider-Man-ey than all three of Raimi's)

/twocents

Did anyone around you in the theatre complain about the poop smell? Was it uncomfortable to sit in during the rest of the movie?

M