Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1416 Talkback: Comic Talk

This past weekend was a busy one for comic conventions. Longtime listener Brian Nixon tells us about his experience at the inaugural Salt Lake City Comic Con and writer Tom King joins us in studio to talk about the Baltimore Comic Con. (1:12:38)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Wow, I've been confused. I didn't realize there was a Cincy Comicon. I think another podcast I was listening to a couple weeks ago mentioned a Cincinnati Comic convention and I assumed they were talking about the one I knew about. I'd been planning on attending this weekend's Cincinnati Comic Expo (probably just Saturday). I think I will still.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I hate con talk >:P All the nice ones are 1000s of miles away :((
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    No Batwoman discussion, huh?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Regarding the Shat & the Bat. I had hoped that the producers of Boston Legal would have brought Adam West in for a couple of episodes. It would have been great to listen to what might be a couple of the most distinctive voices in pop culture speak to one another.
    Does anyone know if that panel was recorded?

Regarding Stan Lee and "the ugly". I have to be honest. I little shine came off the Excelsior rose when Stan cancelled on Denver Comic Con.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited September 2013
    I'm glad you guys got the discs... not sure if they'll play straight out of a car CD player or if you'll have to transfer the files to the listening device of your choosing, but no matter the case, enjoy!

I don't know if I'd stand in line for 6 hours to meet anyone... Brian Nixon, you have the patience of a saint!

Nice to hear Tom King again, but I still think he might want to consider decaf. The man must have a standing pulse rate akin to the flapping of a hummingbird's wings!
  • Options
    I've been caught in the meat-grinder assembly line that is the Stan Lee meet-and-greet. Between the cost, the wait and the fact that by "meeting" they mean breathing the same air as the man for under 15 seconds it was one of the most disappointing con experiences I've ever had. Especially since I rarely do any kind of signings/photos or anything.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Very amusing episode! You all still seem "high" from all the con-going! Hm, I gotta admit, that con in Salt Lake City seems attractive. I should look into trying to go to that. As for Stan, well I try to avoid standing in any lines except for the one to actually get into the con. This year at Fan Expo I DID get into line for my "Uhura" photo and autograph (see my profile/avatar photo) but all of her lines (the photo op sign-up line, the actual photo op line and the autograph were all relatively short (20 people or less). What am I trying to say? Well, just that maybe if you want an autograph just choose a less famous person? Or just avoid getting into lines for Stan Lee (notice his line was BUSY at Fan Expo also)...or Eliza Dushku (Heh-heh..).
    PANTS! Ya gotta ease off on the Marvel love...the balance is tipping the scales... :))
    "If people saw you dance, they would laugh...." "This was awesome!"
  • Options
    From what I heard and experienced, the Salt Lake con had trouble getting more comic book pros, because Baltimore & Cincy were asking pros last fall for this year. I saw the salt lake folk asking pros at san diego and they kept hearing "oh sorry I'm already booked"

Even Robert Atkins had to say no to his sister (who was a SL con booker) , because he had already committed to Baltimore. Same goes for pros like Waid Norton Art & Franco, and they even asked me to mod panels after I had already committed to Cincy Comicon .

Glad they had such a huge turn out!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited September 2013
    alienal said:

Very amusing episode! You all still seem "high" from all the con-going! Hm, I gotta admit, that con in Salt Lake City seems attractive. I should look into trying to go to that. As for Stan, well I try to avoid standing in any lines except for the one to actually get into the con. This year at Fan Expo I DID get into line for my "Uhura" photo and autograph (see my profile/avatar photo) but all of her lines (the photo op sign-up line, the actual photo op line and the autograph were all relatively short (20 people or less). What am I trying to say? Well, just that maybe if you want an autograph just choose a less famous person? Or just avoid getting into lines for Stan Lee (notice his line was BUSY at Fan Expo also)...or Eliza Dushku (Heh-heh..).
    PANTS! Ya gotta ease off on the Marvel love...the balance is tipping the scales... :))
    "If people saw you dance, they would laugh...." "This was awesome!"

What was Nichelle Nichols like, @alienal? She's coming to the Rhode Island Comic Con in November and I'm considering ponying up the extra pic/autograph money to meet her because I've never actually met anyone from Star Trek before and she seems really nice.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    @LibraryBoy Well, she was nice, but getting old. She's about 2 months younger than my mother (81 years old) and doing that "forgetful thing" like my mom is. Forgetting dates and stuff. Plus, I don't know if she's injured or tired or what, but she was rolled-in in a wheelchair for the autograph session. The total amount of time spent talking to her was probably about 30 seconds! They kept both the photo line and the autograph line moving pretty fast. I'll assume (since RICC is a smaller con?) that you'll probably get at least a minute? :) Well, actually I didn't have that much to say to her and the people in line behind me were kind of "conservation bombing" me...