Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Talkback on Footnotes - World's Funnest

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited April 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
It's an otherdimensional Imp-vasion! Just in time to be late for April Fools' Day, Pants, Murd, and guest Imp-thusiast Bruce MacIntosh take an extended look at Evan Dorkin's WORLD'S FUNNEST, a DC Comics one-shot that really lives up to its name! When all-powerful imps Mr. Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite go toe-to-toe in a multiverse-spanning melee, heaven help the dozens of DC guest stars who get in their way! Who will be the... "Last Imp Standing"?? Lock your doors, bolt your windows and reverse your names, folks; this one's gonna get wild! (2:08:29)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Just started listening and am looking forward to hearing the discussion, especially considering I haven't yet added this to my collection, though it is one of those on my "to-get" list, at some point.

I'm jumping in now to reiterate the plaudits for Evan Dorkin. I met him at a Pittsburgh Con in 2002. Great fun to talk to and I got this fantabulous sketch from him:

It makes me smile every time I look at it. Enjoy.

chris
  • Options
    Hey Murd, regarding Aqualad and Brainiac 5 leaning on each other in the Jiminez sequence... Aqualad lost Tula and Brainy lost Supergirl during the Crisis. That may be the only significance there is.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm jumping in now to reiterate the plaudits for Evan Dorkin. I met him at a Pittsburgh Con in 2002. Great fun to talk to and I got this fantabulous sketch from him:
    You must've caught him on an upswing. My one convention interaction with him was considerably less positive, which was a bummer because I used to be a big fan.

• Options
    Hey Murd, regarding Aqualad and Brainiac 5 leaning on each other in the Jiminez sequence... Aqualad lost Tula and Brainy lost Supergirl during the Crisis. That may be the only significance there is.
    Oof--yeah, I probably should have picked up on that. #-o (In my defense, though, if I'd encountered the same image of Garth and Brainy in a more serious, down-to-earth(s) Crisis-related text rather than in a spoof sequence, maybe I would've made the connection.)
  • Options
    Oof--yeah, I probably should have picked up on that. #-o (In my defense, though, if I'd encountered the same image of Garth and Brainy in a more serious, down-to-earth(s) Crisis-related text rather than in a spoof sequence, maybe I would've made the connection.)
    I can totally see that. It's an oddly sentimental scene in such a bizarre book. Definitely easy to try to come up with an alternate answer. Curse you, Occam's Razor!
  • Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    Great show guys! Regarding the original art, I did see Bolland's prelim for the cover on the market once or twice. Sooo wish I could have afforded that at the time. And I do know the location of another page of art from the series. Couldn't resist it when it showed up on eBay.
  • Options
    A couple of days after the show, I saw this figure at Emerald City Con: comicvine.com/dc-comics-super-hero-collection-specials-mr-mxyzptlk-bat-mite/37-302758/ It was fate - I hate to buy it. Pants was the first person I showed it to!
  • Options
    A couple of days after the show, I saw this figure at Emerald City Con: comicvine.com/dc-comics-super-hero-collection-specials-mr-mxyzptlk-bat-mite/37-302758/ It was fate - I hate to buy it. Pants was the first person I showed it to!
    Bee-youtiful, Bruce! I've got the same figurine at home.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Finally just listened to this episode today while doing some chores around the house. I LOVED IT!. Now I have to track down a copy of the issue and read it. @Adam_Murdough I am curious what your thoughts are on Mxyzptlk's role in Alan Moore's two part Man of Tomorrow story.
  • Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    Just listened to an interview with Evan Dorkin on the Inkstuds podcast, and from the conversation in this episode regarding Dorkin's temperament at shows, I thought people might find it interesting. It's over two hours, but well worth it if you're interested in Dorkin's work or comics in general. the discussion meanders a lot, and Dorkin admits - and it is quite obvious from the interview - that he has huge anxiety issues, with his work and with people. Anyway, the link's below:

Evan Dorkin Interview

chris