Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Fanboys vs Zombies!

Just read this first issue, damn that was fun. I wasn't going to pick this up since I thought idea in general just sounded dumb, i was wrong. saw this at my LCS and said, eh what the hell, it's only a buck. this was a ton of fun! pick this up if you see it, for a dollar, you can't go wrong with this. I was able to snag this cover with the zombie leia on the cover :D

Comments

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    The 1:15 is a Where's Waldo-esque wraparound and quite awesome. I picked it up, haven't read it yet. The art isn't my thing but I'm looking forward to reading it tonight.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I think I want to get this comic, and the previous one.

Thanks for bring it to my attention @JohnTilton.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited April 2012
    I like to agree on that ;) (off to check if there is a digital version available....)

edit: 0.99 on comixology
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    edited April 2012
    The 1:15 is a Where's Waldo-esque wraparound and quite awesome. I picked it up, haven't read it yet. The art isn't my thing but I'm looking forward to reading it tonight.
    I wanted to get that one but my LCS didn't have any, and I don't wanna pay 12 bucks on midtowncomics.com, that's what, a 1200% markup?
  • Options
    @JohnTilton the art is actually not so great on the 1:15 variant cover, it is just more of a cool novelty. Cover spoiler: the zombies are eating Waldo :) I'd pay $5 for it but not more than $8-10 fo sure.
  • Options
    @zhurrie yeah, about a year ago I stopped paying more than a couple dollars over cover price for variant covers, its 2012 and they really don't have that much monetary value anymore, and it's the same story inside. the only time you make money off it is when it sells out and you sell it on ebay right away, but I just don't want to go through the hassle
  • Options
    @JohnTilton I finally got a chance to read the whole thing last night and it didn't do it for me. The art kind of grew on me, although the inking is still odd/bad IMO. The writing was actually the deal killer, it is really poor. I could get past all of the pop culture/tech references if the rest of the writing captured anything at all. It just felt super empty in every respect and I think my journey ends at #1.
  • Options
    @JohnTilton I finally got a chance to read the whole thing last night and it didn't do it for me. The art kind of grew on me, although the inking is still odd/bad IMO. The writing was actually the deal killer, it is really poor. I could get past all of the pop culture/tech references if the rest of the writing captured anything at all. It just felt super empty in every respect and I think my journey ends at #1.
    ah, sad to hear :( but to each their own! the pop culture references caught me off guard at first and then I made a decision to just go with it and imagine being under the influence of something while hanging out with some pals and realize that we wouldn't be acting that much different. I'm a fan of Humphries but I haven't liked everything he has put out, I hated Our Love is Real, but have been loving Sacrifice, so with him writing this is a main factor in why I gave it a try.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Picked this up because it was a buck (the Ale Garza cover, btw), and thought it was alright. Not one of The Great Classics of the Ages, but I got my dollar's worth. I thought how the zombie apocalypse started was actually kinda funny, so there was that. The art was cool, but it had a very "soft" look to it... anyone know if they colored it directly from the pencils? The lines lacked the sort of defined edging I'm used to seeing from inked work. I liked it a lot, but it did have a "Vaseline-smeared lens" look to it that was distracting at first, but only for a second.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Okay @JohnTilton you must hand in your geek card. It is written in the bylaws of geekdom that noone should besmerch the image of Slave Leia as it is our most holy icon.

Plus remember that in any horror situation Ash needs someone to hit on.
  • Options
    LOL show me this law!
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Ready for zombies to go away, personally.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    For a 0.99 book it was good, fast-paced fun. It certainly will never become a classic. The art has that cartoon meets anime feel. And it's very, very colorful... The writing suffers a bit from the overuse of catchphrases. And a little less references wouldn't hurt. Too much gets tiring.
    If one looks for a bloody fun book with zombies and the sterotypical cast of attractive young people that one wishes dead - then this a recommend. It's the equivalent to the average straight-to-video horror romp. It can be great fun when in the right mood.
    I might pick up the next issue.

btw: the digital version contains all 9 covers!
  • Options
    choanatachoanata Posts: 9
    I picked up the 1:15 Ulysses Farinas "Where's Waldo" variant on eBay for 7.50. I thought the premise was ok, but I just really liked that cover. I'm planning on reading it soon, but since I got the cover I wanted, I'm not really too tied in to the rest of the story.
  • Options
    hahah that was great