Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

2012 Eisner Award Nominees

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_eisners_main.php

I'm super happy that Henson's Tale of Sand is so highly nominated! Daredevil also did really well and it is nice to see so many good picks with a lot not coming from the big 2.

Edit: Retracted my DC comment there are some I missed/didn't account for

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm rooting for Flashpoint: Batman - Knight of Vengeance and New York Five. As well as the Mad: Fold-In Collection.
  • Options
    Best Single Issue (or One-Shot)
    "Princeless" #3, by Jeremy Whitley and M. Goodwin (Action Lab)

WAHOO-HOO!
  • Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited April 2012

Best Publication for Kids (ages 8-12)
    "Princeless," by Jeremy Whitley and M. Goodwin (Action Lab)

DOUBLE WAHOO-HOO!!
  • Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited April 2012

Best Digital Comic
    "Battlepug," by Mike Norton, www.battlepug.com

TRIPLE WAHOO-HOO!!!
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    How about this too:

Best Digital Comic

Battlepug, by Mike Norton
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Nice to see so many International picks.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Also congrats to ALabs for:

Best Single Issue or One Shot
    Princeless #3, by Jeremy Whitley and M. Goodwin (Action Lab)
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited April 2012
    Best Continuing Series
    Daredevil, by Mark Waid, Marcos Martin, Paolo Rivera, and Joe Rivera (Marvel) aka the one who WILL win
    Usagi Yojimbo, by Stan Sakai (Dark Horse) aka the one who SHOULD win

Best Humor Publication
    Milk & Cheese: Dairy Products Gone Bad, by Evan Dorkin (Dark Horse Books) Seriously if this doesn't win there will be no presents at Christmas only lumps of coal.

Best Cover Artist
    Michael Allred, iZombie (Vertigo/DC) What I would give to hear Deemer's reaction on this choice?
    Sean Phillips, Criminal: The Last of the Innocent (Marvel Icon) This is how to make a nice haul at the Eisners, pick Criminal.

Matthew
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    The Princeless noms are awesome. Congrats to the Action Labs guys.

I was happy to see iZombie get so many noms. I really like that book.
  • Options
    Action lab and battle pug. Hopefully creator owned work will sweep this year!!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Well, we submitted Unite and Take Over but it didn't get the nod. Ah well, c'est la guerre. I'll focus my attention on the good folks at Action Lab and Mike Norton getting their noms. Congrats to both of you for getting some well-deserved recognition for your hard work and talent.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Big congrats to Mike Norton and the Action Lab crew!
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    That is awesome that Action Lab is now an official Eisner Award nominated company. That's really very cool. Also a big mazel tov to Mike Norton with the nomination for Battle Pug. It couldn't have happened to a better web comic. Also, a lot of love for Daredevil.
  • Options
    Some great picks here:

Best Limited Series
    Atomic Robo and the Ghost of Station X, by Brian Clevinger and Scott Wegener (Red 5)

Best Continuing Series
    5 great picks here, no fake picks, no "well we should make sure to nominate DC" pick
  • Options
    Best Continuing Series
    Daredevil, by Mark Waid, Marcos Martin, Paolo Rivera, and Joe Rivera (Marvel) aka the one who WILL win
    Usagi Yojimbo, by Stan Sakai (Dark Horse) aka the one who SHOULD win
    But would you not concede that Dardevil is a worthwhile winner should it win?

I love Sakai, but it's no slight if he loses to an amazingly reawakened Daredevil.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    “Eisner committee: You could throw a rock through artists’ alley at SDCC and hit a full slate of worthy Best New Series nominees. In fact, I’m willing to turn the entire comics awards process over to throwing rocks through artists’ alleys.”

– Phil Hester, responding to a statement by Eisner Awards Administrator Jackie Estrada that this year’s judges decided to omit the Best New Series category “because they didn’t find enough contenders that reached the level of quality they were looking for.”
    I'm with you Phil. I'm not vain enough to think anything I've done should be up there, but to say that there was NOTHING new this past year that had no quality? Methinks the Eisner committee needs to find some glasses...or a clue...
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    “Eisner committee: You could throw a rock through artists’ alley at SDCC and hit a full slate of worthy Best New Series nominees. In fact, I’m willing to turn the entire comics awards process over to throwing rocks through artists’ alleys.”

– Phil Hester, responding to a statement by Eisner Awards Administrator Jackie Estrada that this year’s judges decided to omit the Best New Series category “because they didn’t find enough contenders that reached the level of quality they were looking for.”
    I'm with you Phil. I'm not vain enough to think anything I've done should be up there, but to say that there was NOTHING new this past year that had no quality? Methinks the Eisner committee needs to find some glasses...or a clue...
    Or start looking out for rocks?

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2012

And the category is "Best New Series"... which implies that, even if they ALL suck, some are still better than others... in ohter words, it's not a badge of a certain quality level, but which ones have MORE quality than others. If all the NCAA teams were terrible, some team would still be better than the others.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I take most of this stuff with a large grain of salt. I used to be on the other side of this kind of thing (with video games) and that industry is a bit different but they all basically work the same. I think about half of this list I agree with and I also think they missed some great stuff and question a few choices but that is to be expected. I'm happy when something truly deserving gets a nod or an award and I pretty much leave it at that. Archaia has been putting out such great stuff across the board that they are actually who I am most happy for if even just tangentially.
  • Options
    Its who ya know or ...... ahem...

If ya get my meaning.... :\">

There does seem to "some" new blood...
  • Options
    Hey All,

If you work in or around the industry, make sure to vote for Princeless! There's no way in hell we're going to win for best single issue, but we miiiight be able to pull off "Best Publication for Kids (ages 8-12)."
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Hey All,

If you work in or around the industry, make sure to vote for Princeless! There's no way in hell we're going to win for best single issue, but we miiiight be able to pull off "Best Publication for Kids (ages 8-12)."
    Gotta think postive man. You guys got that the nomination for a reason which means there is a chance in hell.

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Best of luck Dave! Well deserved too. No matter what I'd be proud as hell of the nomination even. I ordered heavy on Double Jumpers #1 personally and am really looking forward to the sketch card(s), that is one of my more anticipated upcoming new books.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Its who ya know or ...... ahem...

If ya get my meaning.... :\">

There does seem to "some" new blood...
    It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

Oh sorry, wrong movie.