Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Return of Patrick Roy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y2OOc6WTrg

In spite of the above video, I'm not a fan of fighting in Hockey. 85% of the time it's a staged "tussel" to, hopefully, wake up a team that's come out flat and 1% of the time you end up with Todd Bertuzzi breaking someone's neck. However, there is that 14% where the fight is justified. I have to say that there's something oddly satisfying about a "legitimate" hockey fight. Satisfying like a liquor fueled one night stand where you end up laying pipe on the hood of your truck, satisfying.

but, i wouldn't know anything about that.

Anyway. What the Duck's announcers aren't telling you is that moments before the Ducks scored with 4 seconds left, Duck's player Ben Lovejoy went "knee on knee" with Avalanche 1st. round and overall number 1 draft pick, Nathan MacKinnon. MacKinnon, who had just turned 18, had been eating Lovejoy's lunch all night, skating circles around the older player. Beating him to pucks, roughing him up in the corners, and scoring 2 points on assists. Fortunately, MacKinnon wasn't injured.
It's soooo good to see some emotion from the Avalanche again.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I’ve always liked Roy, even if he is a bit of an ass. And that play on MacKinnon was highly dangerous and irresponsible. Still, Roy shouldn’t have been jawing at Perry. Lovejoy, fine, but not Perry. Likewise, Perry shouldn’t have been jawing at Roy. Settle that stuff on the ice.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    In a perfect world, I would agree. However, over the last decade there's been such an attitude of ... meh coming from the Aves front office that fans have been starved for some expression passion. I think what Roy is doing is winning the hearts of his very young team.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2013
    rebis said:

Satisfying like a liquor fueled one night stand where you end up laying pipe on the hood of your truck, satisfying.

Best sentence I've read on the forums this year.

...like poetry...
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    And if your coach goes to bat for you like that, you'll take a bullet for him. Great strategy.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Bondo said:

And if your coach goes to bat for you like that, you'll take a bullet for him. Great strategy.

I don’t disagree that it can help him win the hearts of his team, but I really don’t think there was any strategic thinking involved in this. I believe he simply lost his temper, just like he used to do as a player.
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    Yeah that is certainly the most likely scenario...
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Bondo said:

Bondo said:

I don’t disagree that it can help him win the hearts of his team, but I really don’t think there was any strategic thinking involved in this. I believe he simply lost his temper, just like he used to do as a player.
    I think both of you are right. It's a great way to win the hearts of his young team, but I don't believe that Roy thought it out. He doesn't come off as a "think it out" kind of guy.

I do hope that Mrs. Roy didn't suffer PTSD after watching that.